PDA

View Full Version : I did an offspring cover, come here if you care to listen..

Manic subsidal
05-05-2005, 08:03 PM
www.myspace.com/jimt

The song is All I want.

I'm not in a band or anything, I just recorded each part and then mixed it together. This is the first time I've ever recorded an actual full song and I'm not really much of a guitar player either (main instrument is saxophone) but I would say I did alright on this recording. I really like playing the guitar and I'm thinking about taking lessons, but I kind of just like figuring stuff out my own.

Anyways, let me know what you think. What are some ways I can improve my playing and crap like that. Thanks for checking out my music.

0r4ng3
05-05-2005, 08:07 PM
That's pretty good, better than what I can do, cuz I'm no singer. Did you play the drums for this?

neocon58
05-05-2005, 08:08 PM
amazing vocals.

you used a drum machine

original_prankster
05-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Pretty good.

Manic subsidal
05-05-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm surprised that a lot of you liked my vocals. I tried recording the vocals like 5 times or so until I finally got an ok recording and then I was like ok my voice hurts now, I'm done for today =P

Yeah, I used a drum machine though, if it weren't for that, I'd totally be off the tempo and everything. I don't play the drums really, my neighbor once let us store his drumset in our basement before but now he's taken it back, so I just use that drum machine I have. I also have fruityloops and I'm trying to come up with some stuff with that but fruityloops is WAY too confusing for me. I'm not the type of person who reads the manuals for everything, I just try to figure it out myself but when it comes to fruityloops... I can't :(

Anyways, like it says in my myspace bio, I'll be recording Jennifer Lost The War soon, so I'll let you guys know when I'm done with that. Even though I'm going to be focusing more on recording my own songs after I record Jennifer Lost The War, I still want to do some more offspring stuff cause their songs kick so much ass and are fun to play.

tle_punk
05-06-2005, 02:38 AM
That was pretty good dude. It sounded a bit weird at first because I was comparing Dexter's voice to your voice and it kinda made me laugh. Not that I'm saying you have a bad voice, it's cool, seriously.

turb0negr0
05-06-2005, 06:21 AM
that would have sounded a lot better with a bass in there...
But other than that, it was really good.

panzor41
05-06-2005, 11:20 AM
has anyone seen the "Ding Fries are done" video?

Manic subsidal
05-06-2005, 06:23 PM
That was pretty good dude. It sounded a bit weird at first because I was comparing Dexter's voice to your voice and it kinda made me laugh. Not that I'm saying you have a bad voice, it's cool, seriously.

You laughed? I am totally offended by that :eek: ..Ha just kidding.

Well I can't play bass at all. There's an instrument that I CAN'T teach myself to play. I don't know, I guess I'm just not that good at hitting the strings with my fingers. However, I think the song sounds ok without a bass, but I'm pretty sure the next Offspring song I'm doing, Jennifer Lost The War, is going to need one. I haven't recorded vocals for it yet but when I do, I have a feeling the song is still gonna sound a little incomplete. Offspring's really old stuff sounds awesome but is hard to play for sure.

coke_a_holic
05-06-2005, 07:38 PM
I like that you played both instruments, that takes skills. I can 1/2 play drums at like slow speeds only by watching my brother. I play guitar, though.

0r4ng3
05-06-2005, 08:02 PM
That's a drum machine, not real drums (right?)

Manic subsidal
05-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Oh yeah, dude that's just a drum machine I used. I could of probably done the drumming myself because it was a pretty simple punk beat but I don't have a drumset anymore, so I just used the machine. I play different instruments though so yeah whatever..

coke_a_holic
05-06-2005, 08:17 PM
...Well... This changes things... Not really, though. I should post some of my stuff but I'm too ashamed. Also, it's really old and my amps not in this room anymore. I'll do it some other time...

Dirty Bertie
05-13-2005, 04:25 AM
Dude .. A for effort, E for result - keep trying!

Also, whats up with that Piano shit

icklebabygremlin
05-13-2005, 04:51 AM
Hey that all i want cover is ok but the DJin at the end is crap try and do the kids arnet alright next good luck

the Dude
05-13-2005, 04:55 PM
did you write that Piano stuff yourself?!

dudeness
05-14-2005, 12:22 PM
not bad but i think the vocals need louder an rest quiter. u r drowned out a bit.

Manic subsidal
05-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Dude .. A for effort, E for result - keep trying!

Also, whats up with that Piano shit

What about it? Sorry for trying out new instruments :rolleyes:

edit: and oh yeah, I have no idea what DJin means and also I didn't write that piano song. It was something from Midnight oil. I do have a few piano songs I wrote and I think they're pretty cool but it's just a pain in the ass trying to record my piano. It's just in the other room and I have to move all the record crap around. Oh well, I'm thinking I should try recording something on my saxophone next, since that's my main instrument.. oh well, I have plenty of time to do whatever..

Turbonegro
05-14-2005, 08:10 PM
However, I think the song sounds ok without a bass.

No, a bass is key. You can't have a song without a bass. trust me, it would sound 675873859743.5 times better with a bass in there.

DEXJR
05-15-2005, 12:07 AM
www.myspace.com/jimt

The song is All I want.

I'm not in a band or anything, I just recorded each part and then mixed it together. This is the first time I've ever recorded an actual full song and I'm not really much of a guitar player either (main instrument is saxophone) but I would say I did alright on this recording. I really like playing the guitar and I'm thinking about taking lessons, but I kind of just like figuring stuff out my own.

Anyways, let me know what you think. What are some ways I can improve my playing and crap like that. Thanks for checking out my music.
U need a bit higher vocie and ur perfect :D

Manic subsidal
05-15-2005, 08:10 AM
U need a bit higher vocie and ur perfect :D

haha that's the thing man, I really can't bring my voice up any higher. I remember someone told me to practice scales by singing lalala but I don't know, will that really improve your voice and make it higher?

and by the way, if anyone wants to add a bass to the song, by all means, go for it ;)

Nrk
05-15-2005, 09:02 AM
The vocals are out of rythym. furthermore, the vocals are not very good. very dull and not much variation. Not false though, so I'm guessing you're voice is pretty good, but you need to figure out how to use it.

We (me and my band) play all i want live. I sing it like it is on Ixnay, same style. If you asked me to sing it a year ago, hell, i even't could sing The Noose back then. practise makes perfect.

Work on your rythym-thing. It's pretty sloppy.

jrk247
05-15-2005, 07:57 PM
The vocals are out of rythym. furthermore, the vocals are not very good. very dull and not much variation. Not false though, so I'm guessing you're voice is pretty good, but you need to figure out how to use it.

We (me and my band) play all i want live. I sing it like it is on Ixnay, same style. If you asked me to sing it a year ago, hell, i even't could sing The Noose back then. practise makes perfect.

Work on your rythym-thing. It's pretty sloppy.
Heh, until you post any song by "your band" don't say he's bad, he actually played it pretty good, nothing compared to The Offspring but he was good.

Manic subsidal
05-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Heh, until you post any song by "your band" don't say he's bad, he actually played it pretty good, nothing compared to The Offspring but he was good.

Nah, I really don't mind when someone is like "hey your song sucks, you need to work on this and that" because at least they're giving me some advice on how to improve. What really pisses me off when losers just bash on my song and just say "oh damn, you should be ashamed of this." I haven't really gotten anything like that before but still, there's fags out there I tell ya :p

However, Nrk, I am interested in hearing your band doing an offspring cover. Just want to hear for the hell of it you know..

Nrk
05-19-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm not saying it's bad. the vocals is just something that needs to be worked on, imo. and the tightness of the guitar, but who the fuck am I :)

we recorded this today:
www.excessum.nl/alliwant.mp3

yeah i know this is something that needs work too, but it's a little bit closer to the original :cool:

Nrk
05-19-2005, 01:44 PM
bump......

DaZ
06-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Lol everyone else did one so I thought I might have a go. Havnt got any of my good mics so the vocal quality is poor. Soz :D

www.graygriffen.net/~exus/All I Want (Offspring Cover).mp3

DaZ

Manic subsidal
06-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Lol everyone else did one so I thought I might have a go. Havnt got any of my good mics so the vocal quality is poor. Soz :D

www.graygriffen.net/~exus/All I Want (Offspring Cover).mp3

DaZ

Lmao, the reason why I wanted to do All I want was because I haven't heard anyone else doing a cover of it, but now there's like what? 2 or 3 people on this forum now who did a cover? Haha, anyways I liked yours a lot. Do you have a band or did you do all the parts? It's cool, probably the best one I heard at this forum. Good job.

Manic subsidal
06-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Oh and here's a better link for the song -

http://www.graygriffen.net/~exus/All%20I%20Want%20(Offspring%20Cover).mp3

bouncingcoles
06-16-2005, 01:44 PM
www.myspace.com/jimt

The song is All I want.

sorry dude, you suck

DaZ
06-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Yeah man im in a band www.myspace.com/exus but I did record this all myself! lol glad you liked it

DaZ

Manic subsidal
06-16-2005, 03:08 PM
sorry dude, you suck

like omg... my heart, omg.

Even though this thread is pretty old, I think I said before, I could fucking care less if you dislike my songs, but at least don't be a stupid dick, actually tell me what "sucked" and what I need to work on.

I'm a freaking saxophone player... I wanted to try doing this offspring song because I've never done this type of music before. I've never tried doing guitar/vocals/mixing and it was actually kind of fun.. very difficult, yet fun. I'd love to improve my playing though. So any tips would be great.

btw, your band, the strip, sucks. I'll just leave it as that and be a stupid dick -_-

And yeah, DaZ, that's pretty awesome you put the song all together by yourself. Did you do the drums or use a program? I've been using FL for quite a while now and I think I've figured out how everything works now. I even know how to put in VST's now! My god, that's the most complex music program I know..

Manic subsidal
06-16-2005, 03:17 PM
I give up, No possible way I can overcome the stupid dick's.

Turbonegro
06-16-2005, 03:26 PM
I give up, No possible way I can overcome the stupid dick's.

put a bass in there, and you will.

Skate Rat 19
06-16-2005, 05:03 PM
yeah that wasn't bad, but you need to me more into the vocals, your not powerful enough, put more power into it.

DaZ
06-17-2005, 03:41 AM
hey guys what did you rekon to my version?

DaZ

Offspring Pyro
06-20-2005, 08:26 PM
hey guys what did you rekon to my version?

DaZ

That was worthy to go on an official offspring cover cd. Dude that was incredible. What did you play in that cover?? Everyhting was right on track. I really liked it. You guys should definetly do some more offspring songs, and post them here. Keep up the good work :D

Manic subsidal
06-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Alright, my song got over 1000 plays :eek: So I think that's quite enough and I can take it off now. If you still want to hear it, PM me. Really though, it's just my first recording, I wouldn't even bother.

Anyways, I uploaded some more crap to my myspace player if you're interested in hearing, but please no more replies in this thread, it's old. DaZ, you can make your own thread for your offspring cover, I'm sure a lot of more people will check it out by doing so.

Thanks everyone for the compliments, and thank you even more for any advice.