PDA

View Full Version : Metallica or Megadeth?

metal2kgirl
11-04-2004, 09:17 AM
I'm just curious who you think is a better band for whatever reason, the music, the orignallity, what the band has done for music, or hell, simply cause you hate Lars because he is a money grubing bastard... whatever, just give me your opinions... I like Metallica more 'cause of what they have done for music... They are perhaps the only metal/hard rock band to ever completely modernise their sound and their music as time went on. For one, almost EVERY band will "sell out" when they hit a major lable sooner or latter, but at least Metallica Kept their sound Modern, and though I like the earlier stuff i can consider myself a true fan because i like all of their stuff. Megadeth is increadably under-rated I admitt. But, when it comes down to it, I like Metallica better.

Delanea aka Metal2kGirl

wheelchairman
11-04-2004, 09:22 AM
Megadeth is awful. Metallica.

Obie2trice
11-04-2004, 10:22 AM
Indeed, Megadeth sucks, so boring, I choose for Metallica

Fozzy
11-04-2004, 10:45 AM
I'm sure I did a topic like this.. Maybe it was on another site I dunno...
Anyway...

MEGADETH OWN! :cool:

dirty_magic
11-04-2004, 12:43 PM
metallica, although megadeth arnt bad

Jebus
11-04-2004, 04:19 PM
It's to hard to choose since I really like them both. I been a longer Metallica fan so I'll go for Metallica.

By the way
Marty Friedman > Kirk Hammet

metallica_colombia
11-04-2004, 08:31 PM
As much as I love Megadeth....
...And as much Megadeth is technically better than Metallica...
Metallica is my favorite band of all times.
Their music reached me in times of joy, sadness, anger etc, there's something about Tallica that makes me feel really great.

(ALthough "The System Has Failed" kicks "St. Anger'"s ass from today till the end of time ;) )

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Go listen "Rust In Peace" from Megadeth for newbies, GREAT FUCKING ALBUM.
And for the Metallin00bs, check "Ride The Lightning" then "Master Of Puppets" then the whole catalog!

metal2kgirl
11-05-2004, 01:57 PM
I do agreewith you 110% metallica_columbia about The System Has Fail vs St. Anger... However, I am not sure that Megadeth is a beter band that metallica because of how far metallica has come... how they were able to modernise their sound so well... though alot of people dont like that, i for one respect that... also as song writters i think that Hetfeild is a better writter than Mustane. but this is my opinion... anyway, i do think that Megadeth is under-rated, and hell yes, Rust in Peice is a badass album, and Ride the Lightning is my favorite Metallica album.

Delanea aka Metal2kGirl

Bad Omen
11-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Megadeth.

Metallica stole all Dave's songs anyway for the first album :P.

Oh jebus if you read this: Marty has a new DVD out next month! :D

Shorty
11-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Metallica have been around so long and have had time to perfect their music, megadeath has nutthin' on them...is it true that they're considering breaking up?

Bad Omen
11-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Metallica have been around so long and have had time to perfect their music, megadeath has nutthin' on them...is it true that they're considering breaking up?

eh, you don;t really know the Bay Area scene do you?

Megadeth were around about a year after metallica. Dave mustaine PLAYED with metallica(and i have the demo they made!), but then they kicked him otu and stole his songs!

bastards.

cutiegurl
11-05-2004, 04:21 PM
I'm just curious who you think is a better band for whatever reason, the music, the orignallity, what the band has done for music, or hell, simply cause you hate Lars because he is a money grubing bastard... whatever, just give me your opinions... I like Metallica more 'cause of what they have done for music... They are perhaps the only metal/hard rock band to ever completely modernise their sound and their music as time went on. For one, almost EVERY band will "sell out" when they hit a major lable sooner or latter, but at least Metallica Kept their sound Modern, and though I like the earlier stuff i can consider myself a true fan because i like all of their stuff. Megadeth is increadably under-rated I admitt. But, when it comes down to it, I like Metallica better.

Delanea aka Metal2kGirl FUCKMETALLICA[COLOR=Red]IS WAY BETTER

Jebus
11-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Oh jebus if you read this: Marty has a new DVD out next month!
nice :cool:
I've seen his Exotic Metal Guitar video and this new one seems really cool. I'll probably won't be able to most of those licks anyway. I suck :D

metallica_colombia
11-05-2004, 04:46 PM
eh, you don;t really know the Bay Area scene do you?

Megadeth were around about a year after metallica. Dave mustaine PLAYED with metallica(and i have the demo they made!), but then they kicked him otu and stole his songs!

bastards.

You think Mustaine wrote all the lyrics and partitures for Kill 'Em all!?
Hell no, he wrote all the solos in there and maybe helped a little bit in the lyrics, but that was it. They kicked him out because he was a alcohol and drug addict and it was getting out of control. Then Hammett came to the scene, and played all of Mustaine's solos. Mustaine got credit for the songs he helped to write.

And yet, its been 20 years and he still whines about it, and who gives a shit? Dave created Megadeth, one of my favorite bands. If he would have stayed with Metallica, maybe 3 albums later Metallica would disband, why? Because of the 3 Ego Guys: James, Lars and Dave.
Have you seen what has happened to Megadeth all of these years?? You could say that Megadeth is *only* Dave Mustaine, nobody else. That's why he went solo, that's why he ended Megadeth, because he was the main songwriter, the main musician the main head honcho, and all of the band members have left him.

greencows12
11-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Old metallica, their new stuff mostly sucks. Old megadeth. Their newer stuff sucks.

pie.
11-06-2004, 01:19 AM
metallica. definetly. :D

Jojan
11-06-2004, 05:42 AM
Both sucks!

Narusegawa
11-06-2004, 06:09 AM
Metallica, its just one of the best bands ever! :D

selfrighteoussuicide
11-06-2004, 07:31 AM
metallica probably

Lithuanian Offspring
11-06-2004, 08:53 AM
METAL sucks. But Metallica is a good band that know what they do and they do it good. Except for all the rehab, death of they're bassist, anger with they're second bassist and general suckiness of the genre of music they picked. But they are actually OK (for metal).

Andrew14
11-06-2004, 09:55 AM
MEGADETH ALL THE WAY fuck metalica there only one good cd was master of puppets

Porkypine
04-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Megadeth, hands down. I don't care what Metallicas accomplished, just because alot of people have bad taste in music, doesn't make them the greatest metal band. I can sit down for hours at a time and just play through every Megadeth album. I can't stand more then 5 seconds of James Hetfield. Megadeth's riffs are way more technical, take way more skill. Dave Mustaine sings while playing incredibly difficult rythm. Hands fucking down Megadeth owns Metallica. I can't even stand "One" or "Master of Puppets". Supposedly 2 of Metallicas greatest songs. In my opinion, Megadeths "Risk" album, owns Metallicas best. And thats saying alot.

Forza
04-27-2007, 01:42 AM
Can't really say im familiar with Megadeth.. well I've seen em live once but didn't really listen to it. Was still deaf from Dimmu Borgir :P

What I can say is I do like some of Metallica's early stuff.. so probably I like Metallica more than Megadeth.

Venom Symbiote
04-27-2007, 03:51 AM
Don't be retarded. If we're rating the Big Four, it's Megadeth at the top, then Slayer, then Metallica then Anthrax. Hell, I don't even like Slayer much, but they're the superior act. Anthrax have their moments, but overall are the weakest. The 'Deth reign supreme though.

Metallica are a decent act, always have been (well, up until '03 anyway), but Dave's band have always blown them away. Kirk is overrated, Lars isn't half as special as he seems to think he is, and don't even get me started on the bassists (Trujillo is a breath of fresh air though, too bad the band's recent material blows chunks).

And I totally agree that, had Dave been allowed to stay in Metallica, that band would have never ever ever worked. Hell, Burton would have been the only sane one in the line-up. As much as Mustaine's a God, he's also almost as much of an "artiste'" asswipe as McGoatee and the Dane.

All I'd say Metallica has ever had over the 'Deth would be Hetfield's vocals (clearly superior to Mustaine's, although I have a soft spot for Dave's grating yowl), and even Hetfield is losing his touch. Lately he's been fucking atrocious.

And perhaps Metallica could be said to have more...listenable material, more memorable hooks and fills. I'd agree with anyone saying that.

But as far as a consistent career, Megadeth is the clear winner. Fact. Dave's had a few album stinkers, like anyone else (mainly his mid-'90s releases), but he always manages to offer at least something worthwhile. Always.

And anyone who argues Hammett is the better guitarist can go eat a wang. I mean, seriously. The guy's a functional thrash player, he certainly has chops, but Mustaine is truy something exceptional as far as mainstream guys go.

Megadeth for the win, it shouldn't even be debatable anymore. If we were talking individual album V.S. album, I'd say Metallica would have a few wins, for sure. But overall there's no goddamn comparison.

Llamas
04-27-2007, 04:19 AM
Iron Maiden > all.

Venom Symbiote
04-27-2007, 04:24 AM
Oh, naturally. That's a given.

But what does that have to do with the discussion? They're not even remotely similar, hell, not even the same style of music. But indeed, Maiden are mighty. The Gods of the Gods, as far as I'm concerned.

Llamas
04-27-2007, 05:04 AM
I was just saying... not a big metallica or megadeth fan. I really can't stand but a couple songs by each... so I threw out my rude comment that really has nothing to do with the topic.

Oh, and this thread is 3 years old...

Judge B
04-27-2007, 06:03 AM
Iron Maiden > all.

True. But Metallica is for sure better than Megadeth. Gonna see Tallica boys this summer again, btw. :cool:

mrconeman
04-27-2007, 07:15 AM
Iron Maiden > all.
omg I was coming in here for the sole purpose of saying exactly that.

Plus on guitarists, Dave Murray > Marty Friedman > Kirk Hammet.
& thread is older than Jesus.

Llamas
04-27-2007, 08:09 AM
omg I was coming in here for the sole purpose of saying exactly that. <3 <3

Plus on guitarists, Dave Murray > Marty Friedman > Kirk Hammet.
& thread is older than Jesus.
I fully agree with this. Also, Bruce Dickinson > Dave Mustaine > James Hetfield. So I guess this means that I like Megadeth better than Metallica. I guess.

And of the four bands Venom was talking about, Anthrax > Megadeth > Slayer > Metallica. But Anthrax is the only one of those bands I like.

H1T_That
04-27-2007, 09:57 AM
But what does that have to do with the discussion?

What did Slayer or Anthrax have to do with the discussion?

Llamas
04-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Was wondering if anyone has some sort of Metallica greatest hits compilation they could send me. I have the black album and Reload... but I'd like songs like One, No Leaf Clover, Until it Sleeps, Fade to Black, For Whom the Bell Tolls, etc. Anyone would be willing to help me out here? Thanks!

Venom Symbiote
04-27-2007, 06:43 PM
What did Slayer or Anthrax have to do with the discussion?

Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax are the big-name '80s American thrash bands, who are often compared and contrasted with each other. The Big Four, man.

As for Llamas, you can't honestly say that Anthrax are the better band. I mean, they're enjoyable, but they're not exactly, um...good. In terms of musicianship they're totally out of their league.

Judge B, can I ask your reasons for seeing Metallica as the superior group? They've put out some absolutely classic tunes, no doubt, but they're not exactly...shall we say, consistent.

H1T_That
04-28-2007, 03:03 AM
Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax are the big-name '80s American thrash bands, who are often compared and contrasted with each other. The Big Four, man.

As for Llamas, you can't honestly say that Anthrax are the better band. I mean, they're enjoyable, but they're not exactly, um...good. In terms of musicianship they're totally out of their league.

I personally don't like Anthrax, but you have to respect what they've done. Thier music has evolved so much with the times. Saying that mind you, its all mostly tripe, even if its modern tripe.

SyLeS
04-28-2007, 09:16 PM
I would have to say Metallica's better than Megadeth, even though st. anger totally sucked. You gotta remember the songs that were on And Justice for all, and Kill em all. Those were great!

Come out and smash'em up!
04-30-2007, 04:44 AM
Metallica, so great riffs, solos ,singing and attitude toward their music, best record are the first 5, but load isn't bad either. James is one of the greatest rythm guitarists ever. Dave MUstain isn't so special singer, and their music is too much about solos and shit... which i don't like. offcourse its fun to doo some grazy soolo playin on "guitar hero 2" "hangar 16". from the big four i think it goes like this Metallica>Slayer>Anthrax>Megadeth and from the newest albums i think like this: We've come for you all>Christ illusion>ST.Anger, i haven't heard Megadeths newest album, because MD is not really interessting band.

Sinister
04-30-2007, 05:22 AM
Cliff. 'Nuff said.

ruroken
04-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Metallica ftw.

Venom Symbiote
04-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Cliff. 'Nuff said.

Boooyurns.

Overrated. 'Nuff said. Cliff really wasn't the Almighty people make him out to be. He's dead, same reason for his insane levels of fame-status as fucking Cobain. He really wasn't anything extraordinary. Good, but not amazing.

05-04-2007, 05:36 AM
Cliff and Cobain,both great musicans in their own special ways

mrconeman
05-04-2007, 06:18 AM
Boooyurns.

Overrated. 'Nuff said. Cliff really wasn't the Almighty people make him out to be. He's dead, same reason for his insane levels of fame-status as fucking Cobain. He really wasn't anything extraordinary. Good, but not amazing.
but zomg he played leeaaads on a bass!!!!1one!
No, you're totally right, hes majorly over-rated, still a good bassist. Definatly not grounds to claim Metallica being better than anyone though.

Cliff and Cobain,both great musicans in their own special ways
Cliff was a great bass player/decent musician. Cobain was a terribly sloppy guitarist (though Nirvana Un-Plugged has some nice guitar). But could sure write a mean song.

Sinister
05-04-2007, 06:26 AM
Cliff indeed is overrated but still pretty fucking good.

And he's not the only reason Metallica > Megadeth.

mrconeman
05-04-2007, 06:39 AM
If you wanted to explain why Metallica are better than Megadave you should have just said
"Dave Mustaine, 'nuff said"

Sinister
05-04-2007, 06:42 AM
That would have been taken as a point towards Megadeth, wouldn't it ?

well, except the part where it's common knowledge Dave sucks.

Llamas
05-04-2007, 08:27 AM
If you wanted to explain why Metallica are better than Megadave you should have just said
"Dave Mustaine, 'nuff said"

Dude, how many drugs are you? Not only is that completely reversed, but Megadave? haha.

mrconeman
05-04-2007, 08:31 AM
How many drugs am I?

How many drugs are you!

05-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Kurt Cobains ownway to be a great musican was his attitude and gift to make great songs.

Harnum
05-05-2007, 07:34 AM
Neither. But if I HAVE to choose, Metallica. Megadeth are shit.

DeAtHsTaR
05-05-2007, 06:50 PM
well, except the part where it's common knowledge Dave sucks.
Are your parents brother and sister?

Metallica is better, but Megadeth still fucking rocks.

Venom Symbiote
05-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Metallica is better

False. False false false.

05-06-2007, 01:23 PM

i'm really courious... how old are you?

H1T_That
05-06-2007, 01:27 PM
i'm really courious... how old are you?

Personal profiles aren't there for no reason.

Jakebert
05-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Everything about this thread makes me sad.

RODNEYMULLEN
05-10-2007, 03:56 PM
metallica, megadeath sucks dick

Venom Symbiote
05-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Says "Rodney Mullen", the skater kid fag who obviously just knows so much about metal music.

loud_noises!
05-11-2007, 01:10 PM
im gonna have to go with megadeth - no doubt.

metallica is okay....but i prefer megadeth for various reasons. like i think the guitar is better, i like the style of singing, and other shit.

Mannen som blev en gris
05-12-2007, 02:29 AM
Says "Rodney Mullen", the skater kid fag who obviously just knows so much about metal music.

Really dude, what do you need to know about metal to say you prefer one band over another?

Also, you can't really be elitist when you only pretty much listen to "the tip of the iceberg" yourself. It doesn't work that way.

BUT, on topic: Metallica, I think. I've never actually heard a full album by any of them (well, except for S&M), but from what I've heard, Megadeth seem like a fun band, but Metallica just have (/had) a bit more depth to the songs imo. I can also say that Anthrax seem fun as well, but I've never actually liked Slayer.

Venom Symbiote
05-12-2007, 02:37 AM

...Fag.

H1T_That
05-12-2007, 03:01 AM
...Fag.

A by-the-books comeback there, venom. Well done.

Venom Symbiote
05-12-2007, 05:59 PM
I thought so.

Simple and to-the-point.

Steve-O
05-14-2007, 03:23 PM
im gonna have to go with megadeth - no doubt.

metallica is okay....but i prefer megadeth for various reasons. like i think the guitar is better, i like the style of singing, and other shit.

Damn you to hell metallica is way better than mega-deth for the simple reson that their music kicks ass and for what the done for music altogether dont get me wrong i can sit down and listen to panthera all day but they dont compair to METALLICA!!!!!:cool:

mrconeman
05-14-2007, 03:33 PM
You can listen to Pantera all day, but you can't spell their name, or most other basic English correctly?

Is English your first language?

Venom Symbiote
05-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Kinda interesting how most of the Metallica supporters in here are illiterate Jackass fans.

That says a lot.

In short, Megadeth automatically wins.

Steve-O
05-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Mega Deth does not win Even though im illiterate Metallica is still way better and im sensitive about it*cry*

Kinda interesting how most of the Metallica supporters in here are illiterate Jackass fans.

That says a lot.

p.s coneman mabye i cant spell because I spent all day listening to Pantera instead of learning how to do my school books and learning to spell:D

Llamas
05-14-2007, 03:51 PM

...Fag.

I thought so.

Simple and to-the-point.

That says a lot.

Seriously, several posts and nothing worth reading. Why do you post?

Steve-O
05-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Seriously, several posts and nothing worth reading. Why do you post?

Probably just posts to get number of post by his name i dont get the point of posting mindless things not worth sharing with others anyways:confused:

Llamas
05-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Probably just posts to get number of post by his name i dont get the point of posting mindless things not worth sharing with others anyways:confused:

He has over 2,000... I doubt that's his reasoning.

Steve-O
05-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Guess you have a point but still don't understand why he would do that:D

Venom Symbiote
05-14-2007, 09:03 PM
...Because you're wrong?

...Because I'm right?

...Because it's fun?

Take your pick, they're all valid reasons.

khaaaaan
06-05-2007, 03:19 PM
I've just come home from a Megadeth concert and tell you what. I would've much rather written I've just come home from a Metallica concert, but that'd be a lie:(
It was fun and all, but I'm convinced it was just he whole backstage pass adding to the experience.

JohnnyNemesis
06-05-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm gonna go kill myself now. Thanks, everyone.

TheUSB
06-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Metallica is easier to pick up and to not get bored with. I can listen to Metallica at anytime. Metallica Rocks.

ZagmenO
06-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Metallica all the way.

Human
06-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Metallica, definitely.

noodlesfan
06-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Countdown to Extinction introduced me to metal. Megadeth.

(I'm biased, Dave Mustaine's hair makes me go giggles)

noodlesfan
06-06-2007, 09:20 PM

Fucking win when you say that! I just vomited in your mouth.