PDA

View Full Version : Positive Stereotypes?

JohnnyNemesis
05-12-2005, 03:58 PM
I almost put this in the Politics forum, but this obviously goes beyond that.

How do you feel about positive stereotypes, people? Y'know...Asians are Math geniuses, folks from India are all around geniuses, New Yorkers are strong, Southerners are friendly, this group makes great food, that one is clean, this one is that, blah blah whatever.

Do you still find them offensive because they generalize? Or is it a case of "no harm, no foul" and not a problem at all? Does it make a difference if your group is the one being discussed?

I'll share mine later. Share yours now.

wheelchairman
05-12-2005, 04:00 PM
What happens if you are an asian who sucks at math? A weak New Yorker? A Mean southerner? except for the last one, you generally feel even more insecure because you fail to meet the social stereotype that is expected of you. I suppose the most famous is the plight of the black man with the small penis.

JohnnyNemesis
05-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Well, I was gonna share mine later, but you pretty much expressed my thoughts for me.

Psh, no fair!

ASP
05-12-2005, 04:04 PM
I think taht if noone is offended by it, what is the harm of a kind generalization. Though I don't fit mine. I'm a southerner, and as many people know, I am not very nice at all.

voodoomagik
05-12-2005, 04:23 PM
No need to insist on this matter. Every man is different in his own way. That says it all. It's all about a culture trying to maintain the high standards once set by others of their own (once Russia became famous world-wide for it's excellent chess players, you can't find anywhere on Earth better chess schools as the ones there-random example). I admire that.

Betty
05-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Well, first of all, I don't really have a problem with stereotypes, because they exist for a reason, and although they don't represent everyone, they probably do represent a substantial portion of the people in question. So as long as everyone is aware that it is a generalization, it is fair. So, good or bad, still fair. But I don't think I really have too much to add regarding good vs bad.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-12-2005, 04:34 PM
As far as positive stereotypes go, I agree with what (I think) Mota Boy said about someone feeling inadequate if they don't fit into that stereotype. But also, pressure from others if a person doesn't fit it. For example (off the top of my head) the Asians being good at Maths thing. If an Asian isn't good at Maths, it could happen that he gets flak from others for not fitting into the stereotype. So there can still be stereotypical hatred, even from positive stereotypes.

Skate Rat 19
05-12-2005, 04:41 PM
I go to an inner city public school (the papers always tell the whole region about the stabbings and fighting and violence in the streets and schools) and when ever I'm out in the suburbs the kids there talk a lot of junk and what not and think they're all gangster and then I come along every once in a while they all shut up and pray I dont shoot them. Its hilarious because I'm not like that at all but because of my steriotype NO ONE ever messes with me. Very helpful

JohnnyNemesis
05-12-2005, 05:12 PM
I go to an inner city public school (the papers always tell the whole region about the stabbings and fighting and violence in the streets and schools) and when ever I'm out in the suburbs the kids there talk a lot of junk and what not and think they're all gangster and then I come along every once in a while they all shut up and pray I dont shoot them. Its hilarious because I'm not like that at all but because of my steriotype NO ONE ever messes with me. Very helpful

Dude. You're from Albany, I'm from the Bronx. Never speak about violence again. Ever. Thanks for contributing though.

Well, first of all, I don't really have a problem with stereotypes, because they exist for a reason

Yes, but what reason? I have a huge problem with the very existence of stereotypes because they're just not efficient. The ends don't justify the means in a sense, because they're never slightly inaccurate. When they're wrong, they're DEAD wrong, and it often involves great pain for those involved.

I am very familiar with the inadequacy Per mentioned.

ninth
05-12-2005, 05:13 PM
I live on a farm, raise livestock, and grow corn.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Is Welsh sheep shagging a positive stereotype? Because, you know, sheep can be quite loving.

.. so I've heard.

ninth
05-12-2005, 05:35 PM
We don't have sheep in Iowa, only corn and cattle.

SkunkIt
05-12-2005, 05:54 PM
I almost put this in the Politics forum, but this obviously goes beyond that.

How do you feel about positive stereotypes, people? Y'know...Asians are Math geniuses, folks from India are all around geniuses, New Yorkers are strong, Southerners are friendly, this group makes great food, that one is clean, this one is that, blah blah whatever.

Do you still find them offensive because they generalize? Or is it a case of "no harm, no foul" and not a problem at all? Does it make a difference if your group is the one being discussed?

I'll share mine later. Share yours now.I don't care if my group in any way is being discussed and I also don't care if someone of that group makes fun of that group or if I know someone is joking about that group.

There are some things that piss me off though, like something that happened at my chior concert. My teacher is white and the choir was singing "Arabian Nights", I know it's from Aladdin, but my teacher taught the students do an Eygyptian dance for a song about Arabia and it looked racist towards anyone from the Middle East or even part Middle Eastern, that people think everyone from there does an Eygyptian dance. Then again, he's a jerk so I wasn't mad for that long, but he didn't even apologize, he just tried to be a smartass.

Then things people say like "Women belong in the kitchen", I know they're just joking, so I don't care.

Omni
05-12-2005, 06:04 PM
I live on a farm, raise livestock, and grow corn.

Ever sexed up your sister?

Seriously, though. Don't feel bad. I live in Arkansas. As a matter of fact, Altus, Arkansas. I don't know how many of you here in the U.S have seen "The Simple Life", starring Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie, but this is the town where that whole thing took place.

Jebus
05-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Almost every single jew stereotype should be considered a compliment but jews find them offensive for some reason.

ninth
05-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Ever sexed up your sister?
I don't live in the South, I live in the Northern Midwest.

Betty
05-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Yes, but what reason? I have a huge problem with the very existence of stereotypes because they're just not efficient. The ends don't justify the means in a sense, because they're never slightly inaccurate. When they're wrong, they're DEAD wrong, and it often involves great pain for those involved.

What reason? Because there were many people who fit a description and hence it became a stereotype. I think the only wrong stereotype would be an outdated one, that simply is not true anymore. But I think a lot of stereotypes do possess truth to them - the idea is to not base your entire idea of someone/something on a stereotype or to take it too seriously. I guess overall I just think people make too big of a deal about that sort of things. Hurting feelings and whatnot. Because how many people truly have bad intentions while saying these things? I'd like to think not all that many.

JohnnyNemesis
05-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Because how many people truly have bad intentions while saying these things? I'd like to think not all that many.

I understand what you mean and agree with some of it, but does having "good intentions" make everything cool? Personally, I don't think so. In fact, it makes absolutely no difference, and I'm equally upset. Some are indeed more sensitive than others (me included), but there are so many things attached to these misconceptions (and actually, the truthful things too).

Plus, what about the feelings of inadequacy Per and I touched on?

When someone is offended though, the key is to educate or be constructive with an explanation rather than explode, as corny as that sounds.

Isolated Fury
05-12-2005, 06:28 PM
Ok, I know that Americans from the southern part hold a stereotype, but what about Americans from the northern areas? Are they just...there?

I am from northern America, so I have no clue if we possess any sort of stereotype.

Betty
05-12-2005, 06:46 PM
I understand what you mean and agree with some of it, but does having "good intentions" make everything cool? Personally, I don't think so. In fact, it makes absolutely no difference, and I'm equally upset. Some are indeed more sensitive than others (me included), but there are so many things attached to these misconceptions (and actually, the truthful things too).

It doesn't make it "cool" but I don't think it's as devastating. If the person is wrong they are probably just misinformed. It might be annoying, but I wouldn't say hurtful. If they still believe it after somebody explains what is true, well then the intentions are no longer as good.

Also, I guess I've never been too much a victim of stereotypes, so I don't think it's a big deal. Like, I can think of some things: I'm a girl, I'm the smart kid who got picked on (mostly in elementary school - not really bad - but was the brunt of jokes, etc)

And not living up to stereotypes I think is a silly argument. People don't live up to society's expectations in many ways, all the time! It doesn't just take a "stereotype". Also, how can stereotypes NOT exist?

coke_a_holic
05-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Almost every single jew stereotype should be considered a compliment but jews find them offensive for some reason.
Not really, the Jew stereotypes I've heard aren't that complimentary. Not all Jews are pennypinching maniacs, and when my Jewish friend lends people money they always go crazy like it's a miracle he let go of his $5. People think that because I wear black t-shirts with band names on them, I hate myself, slit my wrists, fo heroin, do Pagan rituals in my backyard, and suck at all school subjects. I hate stereotypes, and separating paragraphs.

0r4ng3
05-12-2005, 06:54 PM
The stereotypes, positive or negative, don't affect me because I know they're not true. I'm obviously no math whiz or crack dealer.

For those who didn't get it, it's Chinese-Colombian.

JohnnyNemesis
05-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Also, I guess I've never been too much a victim of stereotypes, so I don't think it's a big deal.

I've been a victim of stereotypes in nearly every facet of my life (I wish I was exagerating, but I'm really not), so I think it's a huge deal! I don't mean to imply that you actually have to live it to understand it because I don't believe that, but it does provide a much different (perhaps deeper? truer?) perspective.

And not living up to stereotypes I think is a silly argument. People don't live up to society's expectations in many ways, all the time! It doesn't just take a "stereotype". Also, how can stereotypes NOT exist?

Exactly! People don't live up to society's expectations in many ways all the time... we don't need stereotypes attempting to define these reasons why when they really have nothing to do with them. They attempt to attach group based reasoning to individual failures and successes.

As far as stereotypes not existing, it is impossible, but I strongly disagree with the idea that the reason they exist is because they're mostly true. The reason they exist is because certain traits happen to be exposed to more people at a time, not necessarily because they apply to more people or because they're "truer". What I mean is that a small group of people can (and often do) end up thoroughly promoting a stereotype whether it applies to the rest of their people or not.

Isolated Fury
05-12-2005, 07:05 PM
As far as stereotypes not existing, it is impossible

So this applies to northern Americans, as well?

Since that has been clarified, what is the stereotype for them?

ninth
05-12-2005, 07:27 PM
We all love blacks.

ThrashedThrasher
05-12-2005, 07:53 PM
I've never been stereotyped in that way...but then again what the fuck am I?
I'm from the Pacific Northwest...

Betty
05-12-2005, 08:21 PM
The reason they exist is because certain traits happen to be exposed to more people at a time, not necessarily because they apply to more people or because they're "truer". What I mean is that a small group of people can (and often do) end up thoroughly promoting a stereotype whether it applies to the rest of their people or not.

I can think of lots of examples that support this, but I still think that that "small" group of people can be substantial. When people classify "punks" as "hoodlums", it IS true to a certain extent. When people classify teenagers in general as "hoodlums" it IS true to a certain extent. *I* am not like that. Most of my friends aren't. But there is a chunk of the group that is, and they cause damage, and it's not like the stereotype is being pulled out of thin air. I wouldn't personally use those stereotypes though because I know better. People who actually think it's totally true need to be educated. I might be somewhat offended to be classified in them, but I really wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I guess I basically agree with you, just when I say "a reason" I don't necessarily mean a majority, just a significant portion, which means most likely more than other groups. Or maybe like you said just more noticeable, which must be saying something in itself.

And maybe it is that I've had less to deal with in terms of stereotyping. Or maybe it's that I'm less sentimental about that kinda thing. Most likely it's both.

Anya82
05-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Dude. You're from Albany, I'm from the Bronx. Never speak about violence again. Ever. Thanks for contributing though.
yeah, and i live in Tijuana. Everybody thinks there's nothing but violence, alcohol, drugs, prostitution and a hell on earth here.

about the topic.. hmm.... well.. in my case, i don't know if my country has a positive stereotype. Everybody sees in Mexico poverty, lack of education, and people crossing to the US.

inside my country: i don't know if this is a "positive" stereotype, but many say that us, northern ones, are very strong and hard working people.

Endymion
05-12-2005, 09:20 PM

that's odd, the only one of those i've heard is the gook one. which i know to be very false, having grown up in little saigon. 'round here indians are known to be cheaters, liars, and smelling like shit. new york? no stereotype. south? bible-thumping backwater inbreds.

Jebus
05-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Not really, the Jew stereotypes I've heard aren't that complimentary. Not all Jews are pennypinching maniacs, and when my Jewish friend lends people money they always go crazy like it's a miracle he let go of his $5. People think that because I wear black t-shirts with band names on them, I hate myself, slit my wrists, fo heroin, do Pagan rituals in my backyard, and suck at all school subjects. I hate stereotypes, and separating paragraphs.
I mostly mean stereotypes of jews being rich and succesfull with great jobs.

Vera
05-13-2005, 01:58 AM
The ironic thing to me is that often it feels like we Finns regard negative stereotypes (shy, inward, booze-drinking bastards who swing the knife a bit too much) as positive ones. We laugh at them. True, this could just be our brilliant sense of humor and how incredibly funny it can be to play at some of the less-well-known characteristics of the stereotype (like Finns speaking crappy English), but I don't know.

I suppose the positive stereotype would be that we're a top-modern society where everyone carries a cellular phone and has a broadband internet connection. Looking at the people I live with, I find that to be pretty much accurate. But the negative stereotype is more well-known. That applies to most things, I find.

JoY
05-13-2005, 04:19 AM
the Dutch are stereotyped as down to earth. I must say, that when I compare American television to ours, I really do believe it's so, depending on who you compare our lovely people with. plus, litterally we're down to earth, too. I don't think there's another country, that's so far below sea-level. but this doesn't at all have anything to do with the matter.

some people seem to think it's positive drugs are somewhat legalised here & act like the Netherlands is drug-heaven, when that really is one very silly illusion. yes, you can get some drugs here, but if you want to do hard drugs, it's most likely to be as illegal as in your own country. besides; the Dutch themselves overal aren't a druggy-population. the drug-use here is below that of many countries, I believe from latest test-results.

& people from China are seriously AWESOME with classical instruments. especially the violin. *gasp*

JohnnyNemesis
05-13-2005, 04:24 AM
Johnny, hasn't the Bronx got gentrified of late? The mere fact that a gent such as you *beaming* lives there backs up my contention.

Maria

I was born here in 1983 and have been living here my entire life. Plus, it's Brooklyn that's been gentrified as of late, the Bronx is the same it's ever been.

...This is one of those examples of someone with good intentions totally offending me.

JoY
05-13-2005, 04:24 AM
DOH.
when in time of obvious regression & severe economical problems, the Jews were not accused of being rich - you can't really accuse anyone for being rich - but that they didn't earn their money in an honest way, but over the heads of others. that *is* pretty offensive, if you ask me.

plus, even if it was purely about being rich.. it's once been an accusation. it was once a reason to kill millions of Jews for it. of course no Jew these days would want to confirm the old stereotypes, that cost them their entire family.

JohnnyNemesis
05-13-2005, 04:28 AM
Nah, but either way, the initial shock has passed, and so has what bit of anger may have existed there.

Someone from FRANCE who writes the way you do is justice enough.

Jesus
05-13-2005, 04:32 AM
the Dutch are stereotyped as down to earth.

By whom if I may ask? You loudmouthed towel stealing caravan pulling cheapskate!

RXP
05-13-2005, 04:36 AM
folks from India are all around geniuses

This is generally true tho.

The best one is black guys have huge cocks, chinks have tiny ones.

HornyPope
05-13-2005, 04:38 AM
Johnny, can I call you a NIGGER? I always wanted to call someone black a nigger (and I did couple of times but never on repetetive basis) and i'm too pussy to talk like that to the few blacks I know IRL.

JoY
05-13-2005, 04:38 AM
By whom if I may ask? You loudmouthed towel stealing caravan pulling cheapskate!
by many, *raises both midfingers* you French fries-eating, mayonase-licking, grammar-raping, beer-drinking, brainless French-wannabes.

Vera
05-13-2005, 04:43 AM
HP, you're so stupid. Only blacks can call other blacks niggers.

HornyPope
05-13-2005, 04:47 AM
Fuck you, cracker. Don't question my motives yo.

Vera
05-13-2005, 04:48 AM
Fucking Russie.

HornyPope
05-13-2005, 04:54 AM
Please surrender at once Karelia for the well being and peace of the Soviet people.

Vera
05-13-2005, 04:56 AM
Bzuh? Put down the vodka, Jaroslav.

Izie
05-13-2005, 05:10 AM
So, if I ever get Belgian nationality, I shall be a French fries-eating, mayonase-licking, grammar-raping, beer-drinking, brainless French-wannabe, instead of a sljivovica-boozing, every-other-race-or-nation-hating, sarma-eating, pope-ignoring, violently-ass-kicking member of the Heavenly nation (because, we were the first nation to ever walk the Earth) that I am now?

I just can't decide :/

voodoomagik
05-13-2005, 05:38 AM
I think we’re missing one point here. I don’t think JohnnyNemesis asked about the physical based Stereotypes. Because that pretty much comes with the race. It's race-related.

Jimbob2005
05-13-2005, 10:37 AM
I think there is no big deal at all in them. This "positive discrimination" thing you can get in jobs e.g. "s/he only got the jobe cuz s/he is black" (although that exact quote can be offensive) is political correctness gone too far.

sKratch
06-12-2005, 01:21 AM
lolz johnny is dominican, not black, if I'm not mistaken sir Vlad.

Without explaining my own stance, I think it's hypocritical to be for positive stereotypes and against negative.

JohnnyNemesis
06-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Johnny, can I call you a NIGGER? I always wanted to call someone black a nigger (and I did couple of times but never on repetetive basis) and i'm too pussy to talk like that to the few blacks I know IRL.

Whoa, I never saw this post.

I get this a lot on the 'net, and the only thing that bothers me about it is that it makes me realize that so many people never see black people regularly. I don't even look anything close to black...
Anyway, I agree with everythign sKratch said.

Flexing Wings
06-13-2005, 08:56 AM
I think (some) people like structure, order and security. Unfortunately stereotypes make up this underlying frame possible, as we can dellude ourselves that we have the messure of all people, and therefore cannot be crept up upon.

I also think (some) people like to be perceived a certain way as well, so they will unwittingly enforce stereotypes to be inkeeping with a social group that they wish to be part of.

And also the lazy factor seems to play a part with some people, as it simply is easier to not make the effort required to understand.

It is a shame, but everyone does it, as a natural defense mechanism... and so pressuming good things is equally as likely, and also as equally likely to be completely unfounded and nothing but myth.

coke_a_holic
06-13-2005, 09:02 AM
I think (some) people like structure, order and security. Unfortunately stereotypes make up this underlying frame possible, as we can dellude ourselves that we have the messure of all people, and therefore cannot be crept up upon.

I also think (some) people like to be perceived a certain way as well, so they will unwittingly enforce stereotypes to be inkeeping with a social group that they wish to be part of.

And also the lazy factor seems to play a part with some people, as it simply is easier to not make the effort required to understand.

It is a shame, but everyone does it, as a natural defense mechanism... and so pressuming good things is equally as likely, and also as equally likely to be completely unfounded and nothing but myth.
So, essentially, you're saying that people make stereotypes because they either want to be in a group or because they're simply too lazy to actually think about other people as humans? That's preposterous. We don't just think "He seems cool, but I'm far too lazy to think that. Let's just go with 'annoying Asian kid' and be done with it!" What happens is that people see trends and end up just believing everyone in that situation is the same. It's not laziness, it's just that they mathematically believe that the trend will stay the same. It's tragic, but that's what happens.

JohnnyNemesis
06-13-2005, 09:04 AM
So, essentially, you're saying that people make stereotypes because they either want to be in a group or because they're simply too lazy to actually think about other people as humans? That's preposterous. We don't just think "He seems cool, but I'm far too lazy to think that. Let's just go with 'annoying Asian kid' and be done with it!" What happens is that people see trends and end up just believing everyone in that situation is the same. It's not laziness, it's just that they mathematically believe that the trend will stay the same. It's tragic, but that's what happens.

Yeah, but it BECOMES laziness at a certain point. When you get old enough to realize that your childhood assumptions may be wrong, yet you still don't take the time to understand and correct that because it is such an intimidating task, then that is a form of laziness.

Also, what FWings was saying is that people like me, for example, might feel pressured to give into the stereotypes just so that we can belong SOMEwhere. At least I think so.

coke_a_holic
06-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Yeah, but it BECOMES laziness at a certain point. When you get old enough to realize that your childhood assumptions may be wrong, yet you still don't take the time to understand and correct that because it is such an intimidating task, then that is a form of laziness.

Also, what FWings was saying is that people like me, for example, might feel pressured to give into the stereotypes just so that we can belong SOMEwhere. At least I think so.
I suppose you're right. But my White-Stereotype says that I refuse to listen to you or anyone else! Ha! I win.

JohnnyNemesis
06-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Ha! Classic! Consider yourself siggified!

coke_a_holic
06-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Sweeet. This is one of the first times I've been siggified. A landmark occasion for me.

Noodles is gay
06-13-2005, 09:20 AM
"s/he only got the jobe cuz s/he is black"

That is bloody annoying though - people dare not act against a black person for fear of being called racist; it's ridiculous. That, more than most things, annoys me.

JohnnyNemesis
06-13-2005, 09:26 AM
people dare not act against a black person for fear of being called racist

When blacks have the same social privileges as anyone else, then (and only then) will this be a real problem.

Noodles is gay
06-13-2005, 09:28 AM
When blacks have the same social privileges as anyone else, then (and only then) will this be a real problem.

Perhaps not over there but here they certainly do - in fact; they probably have more because everyone is so worried about being politically correct.

Flexing Wings
06-13-2005, 09:28 AM

Why are you being defensive? Did I say YOU COKE-A-HOLIC? I was merely throwing forard some ideas provoked by some sociological explanations... and I DID make the effort to clearly write 'some' throughout my comment.

And isn't Mathematical assumption just as lazy? Considering you cannot quantify the feelings and reasonings of every person on the planet to form what you're calling mere trends... do you want to be classed as a statistic?

Flexing Wings
06-13-2005, 09:30 AM

I wouldn't comment on you personally Johnny, as I cannot back any assumption up with fact, but that, generally speaking, is what I was getting it at yes.

coke_a_holic
06-13-2005, 09:35 AM
Why are you being defensive? Did I say YOU COKE-A-HOLIC? I was merely throwing forard some ideas provoked by some sociological explanations... and I DID make the effort to clearly write 'some' throughout my comment.

And isn't Mathematical assumption just as lazy? Considering you cannot quantify the feelings and reasonings of every person on the planet to form what you're calling mere trends... do you want to be classed as a statistic?
I wasn't getting defensive. Calm down. I was simply voicing my view on the subject. I didn't mean to make it seem as if I thought you were wrong throughout your entire idea. The social standings and fitting-in was spot on. I'm sorry if it seemed as if I was shooting you down.

JohnnyNemesis
06-13-2005, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't comment on you personally Johnny, as I cannot back any assumption up with fact, but that, generally speaking, is what I was getting it at yes.

I know you weren't commenting on me, but I was using myself as an example of what you were talking about.

Flexing Wings
06-13-2005, 10:01 AM
I wasn't getting defensive. Calm down. I was simply voicing my view on the subject. I didn't mean to make it seem as if I thought you were wrong throughout your entire idea. The social standings and fitting-in was spot on. I'm sorry if it seemed as if I was shooting you down.

No worries, but I would like to hear more about your opinion on my mathematics question...

coke_a_holic
06-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Oh yes, of course:

Mathematical assumption isn't really lazy as it is what we're taught to believe. Trends tell you that gravity will work today, and tomorrow, and the next day. Although, you are right, you can not base this off of the entire world, people get their data from those around them. They base their idea of a social norm off of those around them. People ARE statistics in the mind unless you know them personally. No ones going to tell you that, but it's true. You're gathering data on me right now to understand what I'm like. I'm a statistic.

sKratch
06-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Perhaps not over there but here they certainly do - in fact; they probably have more because everyone is so worried about being politically correct.
Improper semicolon use; minus 10 points.

Flexing Wings
06-13-2005, 10:33 AM
Oh yes, of course:

Mathematical assumption isn't really lazy as it is what we're taught to believe. Trends tell you that gravity will work today, and tomorrow, and the next day. Although, you are right, you can not base this off of the entire world, people get their data from those around them. They base their idea of a social norm off of those around them. People ARE statistics in the mind unless you know them personally. No ones going to tell you that, but it's true. You're gathering data on me right now to understand what I'm like. I'm a statistic.

I agree with you on your 'tragic' statement. That really is a sad thought.

I think all you've said does kind've make me believe what I said even more though... I think I understand that actually constructing a mathematical equation would take time and effort, but the sense in which we both mean it as generally assessing people makes it somewhat unfounded... you know? Considering it actually has taken more time for me to ask you to explain what you mean, rather than me just ignoring it and thinking a certain way about you (which I actually didn't hehe)...

Flexing Wings
06-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Maybe you and I are mere proof that we have kind've sold our species short a little... but people will always have little exceptions to the rule... which I guess leads us right back to the initial point made by Johnny...

Edit: In fact, in a sense this whole conversation kind've defies the implications of the topic... but I personally think that it's still an infinitely fascinating subject.

asdf
07-12-2005, 02:25 PM
girlie asshole!