PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody explain to me...

Nina
05-15-2005, 07:40 AM
...what "Thane" means? I am refering to the title Thane in the play Macbeth, in which Macbeth is "Thane of Glamis" (and later of Cawdor). The German translation doesnt necessarily say much to me, so I would be greatful if anybody could explain this title in his own words. What is the exact status of a Thane?
I am aware of the fact that I dont need to know in order to understand the play (yeah alright), but I'm simply curious.
Thanks in advance.

notoriousdoc
05-15-2005, 07:44 AM
Thane mean lord in Scotland, so "Macbeth, Thane of Cawdor" is "Macbeth, lord of Cawdor"

Nina
05-15-2005, 07:46 AM
yay! Just another word for Lord?
teh.

Nina
05-15-2005, 07:46 AM
...can a Lord actually become King in any way?
I guess so. I still dont understand the status completely.

notoriousdoc
05-15-2005, 07:47 AM
yay! Just another word for Lord?
teh.

Yes, but it is celtic (I think) so only in Scotland, Ireland etc.

notoriousdoc
05-15-2005, 07:48 AM
THANE
n.
1. A freeman granted land by the king in return for military service in Anglo-Saxon England.
2. A man ranking above an ordinary freeman and below a nobleman in Anglo-Saxon England.
3. A feudal lord or baron in Scotland.

Nina
05-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Thank you.
The story takes place in England, not in Scotland (at least not until the end or something), so I dont really think Thane means Lord in this case. Definition 1 is probably the most accurate.
=)

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Are you sure it wasn't set in Scotland? I studied Macbeth a long time ago and I have a feeling it was set in Scotland all the way through.

the_GoDdEsS
05-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Ugh, I've read MacBeth. I don't like Shakespeare's historical plays much. And he's a challenge to read.

RXP
05-15-2005, 10:56 AM
It's sad people say 'study' when refering to something that was meant to be entertainment. Academcs have ruined a lot of things.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-15-2005, 11:01 AM
I've checked a few study websites, but they've only told me that the play is set "in Scotland and England." It's not specific which parts are set where. All I know is that "Thane" in this play IS used in the context of Scottish Lord. Macbeth, the highest ranking Thane, became King upon the murder of King Duncan. So at least that part was set in Scotland.

Nina
05-16-2005, 01:55 AM
Ah, yes, in Scotland, but at the end of act 4 in England. My bad, i misread something there and thought it was the other way around :E -hangs head in shame-
Alright, so it shall be "Lord"! Thanks all =)