PDA

View Full Version : Offspring 1990 - 2005 style

scotishabbit
05-15-2005, 08:57 AM
well i was wondering "if i had to say which was the style of offspring from the 1990 to 2005 which would be that style"and i didnt know the answer so i am gonna talk about all the cds and we'll try to find their style.

Offspring: here we find a punk style from the 80's and sounds like social distortion, the lyrics talk about in a lot of cases of war and love. This album could be punkcore, a rhytm for people 27year old, mad. Maybe this rhytm could in demons or tehran.

ignition: This was their first big oportunity for be known in the world, With this cd they were near the kiss or slayer style, its is their most heavy album i think, very agresive, fast and simple but not easy. This style could be found in kick him when he is down.

Smash: the indie album more sold in the histoty, Smash sounds Punk or grunge like nevermind from nirvana, this cd is the perfect mix between punk and new rock. This style could be found in come out and play.

Ixnay on the hombre: This album got a different style"punk-rock and own hardcore" I think its a very anarquist cd, well this style could be the one in all i want.

Americana: here we got the mix between rock, pop and grunge a very comercial album but not a bad one. Maybe we could found that style in have you ever.

Conspiracy of one: the grung-est one, sounds comercial but with punk and rock.This album contains a lot of styles: in original prankster, punk with pop, in special delivery: grunge very northamerican and in million miles away, comercial punk. This album hasn't got the song which reflects the style of the cd.

Splinter: the darkest one, with a lot of punk but darker than punker.
The song which reflects the style its cant get my head around you.

Greatest Hits: a very good recompilation a very punk one and all the songs here a very grunge, their brand new song "cant repeat" is very grunge, not so comercial, and new punk. We can say that hard rock appears here but miked with punk. The song that reflects the style of the album is all i want.

so i think offspring style could be hard - comercial - punk but i dont know

Mannen som blev en gris
05-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Okay. Whatever :p

scotishabbit
05-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Okay. Whatever :p
well just read!!

Mannen som blev en gris
05-15-2005, 11:04 AM
I did.....

Manic subsidal
05-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Meh, I don't see splinter as the "darkest" one really. Splinter reminds me of Americana kind of because they both have some goofy stuff on it. Maybe if they replaced worst hangover ever, spare me the details, and when you're in prison with more songs like the noose, then I'd totally agree it would be the darkest album.

notoriousdoc
05-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Splinter would have been better with more punky songs

killer_queen
05-15-2005, 12:57 PM
good job scotis, as i said before i love your writings...

original_prankster
05-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Their darkest album is self-titled. No doubt about that.

Skiba
05-15-2005, 01:30 PM
grunge? wtf!?

original_prankster
05-15-2005, 02:44 PM
YES. Grunge. Their stuff is more grunge than punk to me anyway so I didn't mind that statement.

Seiraryu
05-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Self titled is definitely the darkest one. "Jennifer Lost the War," "Demons," and "Beheaded" are some of the darkest songs the Offspring have come out with.

~ Manu.

melbert
05-15-2005, 05:59 PM
I'll just put in my two cents *listens for groaning and whatnot*

I like the style of songs like A Thousand Days and I'll Be Waiting, it's heavier, it's punk, it's awesome.
I like the style of songs like Come Out and Play, Amazed, Way Down the Line, and all those other catchier ones. They rock my socks.
I looove the style of All I Want, Da Hui, The Meaning of Life, and Nitro. They're fast and just raw punk. <3
I like the newer, more elaborate stuff such as The Noose, Lightning Rod, Come Out Swinging... It's more like the old stuff, but with a 'modern' edge to it.
When it comes to The Worst Hangover Ever, When You're in Prison, Pretty Fly, Original Prankster, and Why Don't You Get a Job, I press the skip button. They're too pop for me. And I know there's a huge fan base for this band based solely on songs like that, which is fine, but it's just not my kind of music.
Pay the Man is kind of alone. I love it. Every second.
So there you have it.

scotishabbit
05-15-2005, 07:43 PM
good job scotis, as i said before i love your writings...
thank you man!!

Skip91
05-16-2005, 01:11 AM
Dirty Magic seems a little dark to me
but its my favourite song along with
self esteem

dexterisMYman
05-16-2005, 04:36 AM
Meh, I don't see splinter as the "darkest" one really. Splinter reminds me of Americana kind of because they both have some goofy stuff on it. Maybe if they replaced worst hangover ever, spare me the details, and when you're in prison with more songs like the noose, then I'd totally agree it would be the darkest album.
yeah i don't think they ever had a "dark" album. i dont think it's their goal to make a dark album. it's just not their style.

Leo_ARG
05-16-2005, 05:23 AM
The First album is Hardcore, riminds me of TSOL.

From Ignition they started to find their own style of HC/PUNK.

They started using more pop mellodies in ixnay, altrough it was still punk rock.

Americana had both pop and rock songs, but CO1 is to me their most pop album.There are no political or social songs like "LAPD, It ill be a long time", nothing shocking like a "Kill the president", no critics to their society like "cool to hate "americana" "tkaa"... that's why I think they became a pop/rock band from there.Not punk anymore.
In Splinter they recovered that identity with "Neocon-The Noose" but the album was pretty poor, IMO.

And I don't see Offspring as Grunge.

Grunge is Nirvana, Pearl Jam, STP,Soundgarden...and those bands aren't like the Offspring, maybe only Nirvana.

mrconeman
05-16-2005, 08:09 AM
ST was released in 1989 not 1990

Skate Rat 19
05-16-2005, 01:21 PM
splinter went back to the old days in the sense that it fucking kicked ass, it was just in a darker style, especially since the lyrics were so much deeper even in hit that if you really listen

scotishabbit
05-16-2005, 05:06 PM
splinter went back to the old days in the sense that it fucking kicked ass, it was just in a darker style, especially since the lyrics were so much deeper even in hit that if you really listen
i like splinter :p

sablock
05-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Hasn't there already been a thread about "dark" albums? Oh yeah. Here:
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3566&highlight=splinter+dark

Yatesy
05-17-2005, 01:34 AM
I have to say Splinter is one of their darker albums, I think personally during Ixnay On The Hombre they were more energetic than the other albums, they kinda' had their 'pop-punk' sound of Americana and CO1 but still kinda retain the sound of their older stuff from Smash and Ignition, so basically Ixnay... is a mix of theri pop-punk sound with their own older punk sound.

IAmNotOne
05-17-2005, 03:25 AM
YES. Grunge. Their stuff is more grunge than punk to me anyway so I didn't mind that statement.

Grunge? I certainly don't hear it.

scotishabbit
05-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Grunge? I certainly don't hear it.
if you heard offspring you heard grunge