PDA

View Full Version : Honesty in Offspring fandom?

JohnnyNemesis
05-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Just a rant, please forgive me.

This is a common issue concerning most bands. The idea that you must like every single song put out by a band in order to ensure fandom is fucking ridiculous!
I've listened to The Offspring for 11 years now, and 95% of their songs take up my entire "greatest songs ever" list. I was obsessed with them as a child, now I just support and love them tremendously. I listen to them almost constantly, collect lots of music and memoriablia, etc.

My point? I love the band so stop flipping out when I call them a pop or pop-punk group, and stop crying when I voice my opinion that "The Kids Aren't Alright" and "Defy You" are not good songs. I don't enjoy listening to them, I have reasons for feeling that way, and I'm not going to lie to myself about them!

I'd almost say that the band members would appreciate my honesty more than the blindness of certain others, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Anyway, curious. Who's with me, or are you gonna bite my head off over this one?

Camilamazed
05-18-2005, 10:11 PM
I don't care when peopel call them pop...... I love them and it's been 10 (i guess eleve because I listened to Come Out And Play back in 1994) years I've been into Offspring.....
(I suck at Math haha) ;)

Perfectly said Johnny :D

JohnnyNemesis
05-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Thank you! I heard Self Esteem in 1994 when I was 10 years old and got hooked. Good to know I'm not alone!

irishspring18
05-18-2005, 10:47 PM
I love the kids arent all right. but i do agree its not one of their best songs. also, i reallty dislike it when you call offspring poppunk. cos that's not what they were, and i hope that's not what they are.

Seiraryu
05-18-2005, 11:31 PM
I've been listening to Offspring for nine or ten years (my life back then kind of merges in my memory) and I can honestly say that they have plenty of songs I frankly don't find to be anything special. However, the vast majority are great, and I love them.

I adore Offspring. It was one of the first bands that really got me into punk rock, and I will always cherish them for it. And if they ahve turned pop-punk, then y'know what? I guess I like pop-punk. Frankly, I don't care what anyone says about my tastes, much less my tastes in music.

I'm totally with Rick on this one.

~ Manu.

Toxic Speed Bump
05-18-2005, 11:33 PM
Yep, They've been my heroes for years now, ever since Ixnay.

There is no problem with what you posted. Only immature kids that think pop is evil to get there punk status would disagree.

I'm not sure if that made sence or not.

Telekinesis
05-18-2005, 11:33 PM
All your base are belong to us. You have no chance to survive make your time.Ha Ha Ha!

Toxic Speed Bump
05-18-2005, 11:35 PM
excuse me? :confused:

notoriousdoc
05-18-2005, 11:35 PM
I like TKAA and Defy you but I don't like lightning rod, race against myself, never gonna find me and da hui

Toxic Speed Bump
05-18-2005, 11:37 PM
Lightning Rod is one of my favourite songs. Go listen to it some more.

Telekinesis
05-18-2005, 11:44 PM
excuse me? :confused:

You is very unedumacated. Go here for a history lesson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us Cheers Mate :D

Toxic Speed Bump
05-18-2005, 11:49 PM
that's crazy.

hey, what's the deal with Buffy shagging spike, eh?

Noodles
05-18-2005, 11:49 PM
I'm with you JN, except for your song choices. I love TKA, but, then again, I know all the people that Dexter is writing about in that song. I know that "one little street."

But even among my favorite bands, there's a song on almost every album that I just skip over. I love Pennywise for instance, but I"m not really crazy about the song "Pennywise," and the rest of that album is one of my favorites. But I've never told them that, or complained about that one song to anyone else.

But I do know what your saying, and I admire your honesty.

Now how about telling us what you like about some of our songs? Consider it a "song report."
Just kidding. Don't do that. Remember, it's cool to hate.

Toxic Speed Bump
05-18-2005, 11:52 PM
what street would that be?

Telekinesis
05-18-2005, 11:54 PM
that's crazy.

hey, what's the deal with Buffy shagging spike, eh?

Um I think Buffy like came back from the dead all screwed up and different coz Spike could hit her without his chip activating and he went to Warren,Jonathan and Andrew(so hot) and his chip was working fine. So I think Buffy was just a bit distraught or something so they decided to continously bang each other! I haven't seen all of season 6 so I'm a bit unknowing but i will see it soon!

Telekinesis
05-18-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm with you JN, except for your song choices. I love TKA, but, then again, I know all the people that Dexter is writing about in that song. I know that "one little street."

But even among my favorite bands, there's a song on almost every album that I just skip over. I love Pennywise for instance, but I"m not really crazy about the song "Pennywise," and the rest of that album is one of my favorites. But I've never told them that, or complained about that one song to anyone else.

But I do know what your saying, and I admire your honesty.

Now how about telling us what you like about some of our songs? Consider it a "song report."
Just kidding. Don't do that. Remember, it's cool to hate.

Hi Noodles! remember me? Are you still gay? How 'bout your bitch? Hmmmm... All your base are belong to us

Toxic Speed Bump
05-18-2005, 11:58 PM
yeah, Andrew (the actor) was one of Harmony's vampire gang. It was wierd.

I thought Andrew was gay. I found him funny in the final season when he's telling a story all the way through the episode and then buffy made him cry to break that seal.

Spike kicks ass though, he diserves buffy's sugar.

Telekinesis
05-19-2005, 12:09 AM
yeah, Andrew (the actor) was one of Harmony's vampire gang. It was wierd.

I thought Andrew was gay. I found him funny in the final season when he's telling a story all the way through the episode and then buffy made him cry to break that seal.

Spike kicks ass though, he diserves buffy's sugar.

I think Andrew was gay, I pretty sure the actor who plays him is (Tom Lenk). I read in lots of places that Tom Lenk is gay so I think he may be :( Spike is cool when he's crazy in the basement, my signiture is from the episode in Season 7 Same Time, Same Place where Willow can't see Dawn,Xander and Buffy and vice versa. That Gnarl creature was scary!

meaning_of_life
05-19-2005, 05:06 AM
i value your opinion johnny, you mean what you say and you say what you mean. id rather listen to you tell me why TKAA isnt a very good song anyday over a mindless "fan" tell me why its so good.

Dr.Faustus
05-19-2005, 06:01 AM
At the end of the day, everybody has their own opinion, and not everybody likes every song. I think its highly unlikely that any offspring fan loves and regularly listens to every offspring song, and doesn't dislike one song.

As to whether they're pop-punk or whatever, I'm not bothered what they are, and really don't care. If I like it, I like it, I'm not gonna change my mind because its popular. [sorry if thats not what we're talking about, its been a long day!]

I do indeed agree with Johnny and respect everything he said in his opening post.

Toxic Speed Bump
05-19-2005, 06:16 AM
they are not mindless, they are just bad spellers.

JohnnyNemesis
05-19-2005, 08:04 AM
I'm relieved and a bit happy that everyone appreciates the honesty so much.

Equally cool is that Pennywise is one of my favorite bands ever, and yes, there is always one song I skip over! And whaddaya know? Noodles and I agree on that song.

And, although I know that Noodles told me not to do this, I think I should mention which songs are my favorites, just because other people have wondered which ones I do like:

Out On Patrol: Favorite song ever. Insightful lyrics, fast paced, and nice and unpolished. I love it.

Forever And A Day: What can I say? It just sounds good. I absolutely adore that song.

Living In Chaos: Original song and idea, great lyrics, catchy riff and chorus, everything about this song comes together beautifully and is my second favorite of all time.
Anyway, again, thanks Noodles, Cammy, Faustus, meaning_of_life, and the rest of ya.

JohnnyNemesis
05-19-2005, 10:01 AM
All your base are belong to us

By the way, that stopped being funny a long, long, very long time ago.

Camilamazed
05-19-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm still trying to get the meanin of this sentence....... :rolleyes:

StayInTheHouseCarl
05-19-2005, 10:52 AM
i would rather talk to someone that has an actual opinion on songs, no matter if it is the same as mine or not, then to talk to someone who blindly loves every song a band does. just because you adore a band, doens't mean you cant have a dissenting opinion once in a while.
ive been listening to the offspring for 11 years now as well.

mrconeman
05-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Im basicaly just replying to the first post, Im to lazy to read all the thread and I wanna express my opinion :)

I fully agree, I dont see why people hate it when you dislike any one song or call them any genre, opinions are opinions, some of their songs ARE pop punk weather people like it or not

Although TKAA is up there on my favourite Offspring songs, but its only our opinions :)

calmallamadown
05-19-2005, 11:37 AM
it doesn't matter what genre offspring are, coz we all know they make great music! :) but i really can't stand Da Hui, and Pretty fly for a white guy.

calmallamadown
05-19-2005, 11:44 AM
i just realised, what i said is pretty much what the last person said, but i didn't read any posts either so.... yeah, i'll say something different. i haven't been a fan of offspring for as long as some of you guys, but as a 6 year old, i didn't like music, so i hope you'll forgive me :)

coke_a_holic
05-19-2005, 11:56 AM
I wouldn't exactly call them pop-punk on a whole scale. Maybe if you're thinking about Conspiracy of One and Americana, then they are. But I would say that all together, Offspring is just a Rock band with punk influences. They aren't hardcore punk, yet they aren't whiney bastards crying about how their dads didn't go to their soccer games... They're kind of a mix between the two.

Obie2trice
05-19-2005, 12:34 PM
I`m with you Johnny, I support the band for 100%. I have been a fan since 1998. I love every song on their albums, their sound still blows me away :)

JohnnyNemesis
05-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Totally with you, Obie!

nameless
05-19-2005, 05:50 PM
i dont think anyone is that shallow to like something just because its the offspring! like mentioned, everyone is a fan but that doesnt mean they have to like everything they do!

ASP
05-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Anyway, curious. Who's with me, or are you gonna bite my head off over this one?
I'm with you man. I do, on the other hand like all of their songs, but the truth about what you do and don't like is much better than being prissy and lying about it. Be true to yourself, and if people don't like it, then who gives a fuck. Thats what I say. If you just be yourself, you won't feel the need to care what people think about you.

Revolver-2005?
05-19-2005, 06:33 PM
my dad bought s/t the year i was born (1989) so i grew up with them for about 15 years...i love them, they make great music, it doesnt matter if theyre pop punk...most bands in the punk genre are pop punk...

0r4ng3
05-19-2005, 06:51 PM
I hate to say it (hate it even more to repeat people that already said it), but The Offspring is pop-punk. That's why their so popular, that's what separates them from other punk bands. I don't think too many other punk bands have "Why Don't You Get a Job", or "Hit That".

Punk_Conspiracy
05-19-2005, 11:50 PM
I agree it's stupid to have to like all of the bands songs to be called a real fan, because I hate my fair share of Offspring songs. I won't bother to list them or anything like everyone else does, but c'mon people...they're not fucking perfect, they're bound to have a few shits now and then and they do, but they make up for it when the shine, and fuck do they shine!

sk8rgurl_love_sk8rboi
05-19-2005, 11:58 PM
i feel alittle stupid becuase i all ways sayn i hate pop punk but ever since i lisend 2 offspring i dont know what i like.i love them but i hate all the other pop-punk bands.

JohnnyNemesis
05-25-2005, 10:25 AM
^Wow, look at that name. *facepalm*