PDA

View Full Version : Can't Repeat - Not disappointed, but a little surprised

Dr.Faustus
05-20-2005, 04:02 AM
Before anyone shouts "if u dnt lik da offspring den u cn fuk off" or whatever, I'd just like to say The Offspring are my favourite band and have been for about 5 years. I like all of their albums and I really like "Can't Repeat".

After hearing "Can't Repeat", I really liked it and wish it was a new album that was coming out, not just a Greatest Hits, because I've listened to the other Offy albums so much that, although they're not getting boring, I need something new from them. "Can't Repeat" is a start, and hopefully it won't be long until the new album comes out.

However, I was a little surprised when listening to "Can't Repeat" how incredibly similar it was to "Long Way Home" and "The Kids Aren't Alright". I know a lot of Offspring songs sound similar and I don't have a problem with that. But I just feel that with "Can't Repeat" they should have done something a bit new, experimented, rather than write a song that reminds me of "Long Way Home" every time I listen to it. Like I said, don't get me wrong, I really like "Can't Repeat", I just feel that this was a great chance for the band to try something new.

/rant over

offspring kid
05-20-2005, 04:12 AM
Before anyone shouts "if u dnt lik da offspring den u cn fuk off" or whatever, I'd just like to say The Offspring are my favourite band and have been for about 5 years. I like all of their albums and I really like "Can't Repeat".

After hearing "Can't Repeat", I really liked it and wish it was a new album that was coming out, not just a Greatest Hits, because I've listened to the other Offy albums so much that, although they're not getting boring, I need something new from them. "Can't Repeat" is a start, and hopefully it won't be long until the new album comes out.

However, I was a little surprised when listening to "Can't Repeat" how incredibly similar it was to "Long Way Home" and "The Kids Aren't Alright". I know a lot of Offspring songs sound similar and I don't have a problem with that. But I just feel that with "Can't Repeat" they should have done something a bit new, experimented, rather than write a song that reminds me of "Long Way Home" every time I listen to it. Like I said, don't get me wrong, I really like "Can't Repeat", I just feel that this was a great chance for the band to try something new.

/rant over

you are totaly right man but in a post noodles said that " greatest hits album is just so easy to make and to make the gh album SELL you have to make a new song AND WE ALLREADY are working on a new album with all new tracks " there you go all the information you need and cant repeat being a similar song i dont think so man ITS A COOL AND TOTALY DIFFERENT SONG i dont know why it sounds so similar to you GUYS !

punker 2005
05-20-2005, 04:16 AM
Yeah i know what your saying man! its a great song but not that original! Lets hope their new album will be more original!!

neocon58
05-20-2005, 04:17 AM
if u dnt lik da offspring den u cn fuk off cunt go back 2 simpel plan u dirt-e fagot.

sorry dude :)

now onto your point. i do agree about the songs sounding similar.

as far as new material, the DVD should be awesome and the dualdisc cd.

as for new music, the dirty magic performance should be ok (while obviously not new music) i pray there will be a secret track on the GH or the police cover made it on there but they don't want to mention in in the initial tracklisting.

offspring kid
05-20-2005, 04:22 AM
Greatest Hits track listing:

Can‘t Repeat*
Come Out And Play [Keep ‘em Separated]
Self Esteem
Gotta Get Away
All I Want
Gone Away
Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)
Why Don‘t You Get A Job?
The Kids Aren‘t Alright
Original Prankster
Want You Bad
Defy You
Hit That
(Can‘t Get My) Head Around You

*new song, previously unreleased

now this is the tracklisting from this SITE and in the end it says new song,previously unreleased,so i think that song is ( MISSION FROM GOD ) so now thats new material that we havent heared of !

Orange County
05-20-2005, 04:22 AM
Jeeeeez, i dunno, some people never happy.

First they say 'hit that' was step in the wrong direction, knocking them by doing something new, NOW they do something similar, there still knocking them.

:rolleyes:

Dr.Faustus
05-20-2005, 04:24 AM
i pray there will be a secret track on the GH or the police cover made it on there but they don't want to mention in in the initial tracklisting.

I hope so too, like they said they were doing.

A COOL AND TOTALY DIFFERENT SONG

Do you play an instrument? Regardless whether you do or not, I don't agree with it being a 'totally different song' because that part that sounds like "Long Way Home" is so very similar, not just a bit similar, very similar. Some parts of the song are a little different, the intro is pretty cool, but its still signature offspring. Fair enough if you think its different, but I just don't think you can say its "totally" different.

neocon58
05-20-2005, 04:26 AM
i agree.

and with regards to people saying hit that was a step in the wrong direction...

it was.

offspring kid
05-20-2005, 04:27 AM

Do you play an instrument? Regardless whether you do or not, I don't agree with it being a 'totally different song' because that part that sounds like "Long Way Home" is so very similar, not just a bit similar, very similar. Some parts of the song are a little different, the intro is pretty cool, but its still signature offspring. Fair enough if you think its different, but I just don't think you can say its "totally" different.

chill out DUDE !

Dr.Faustus
05-20-2005, 04:29 AM
I'm chilled man, totally chilled, just getting my point across. :)
People often think I'm going mad or whatever when I'm not. ;)

BuddyHolly
05-20-2005, 04:29 AM
Greatest Hits track listing:

Can‘t Repeat*
Come Out And Play [Keep ‘em Separated]
Self Esteem
Gotta Get Away
All I Want
Gone Away
Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)
Why Don‘t You Get A Job?
The Kids Aren‘t Alright
Original Prankster
Want You Bad
Defy You
Hit That
(Can‘t Get My) Head Around You

*new song, previously unreleased

now this is the tracklisting from this SITE and in the end it says new song,previously unreleased,so i think that song is ( MISSION FROM GOD ) so now thats new material that we havent heared of !

* "new song, previously unreleased" is just a note to Can't Repeat

offspring kid
05-20-2005, 04:30 AM

so what dude if it sounds a little similar to long way home and tkaa the cords in cant repeat are HELL TOTALY different and there is nothing you can do about it besides ABUSING THE SONG by making this kind of thread !now dont get me wrong !

neocon58
05-20-2005, 04:31 AM
christ offspring kid, youre the one that needs a fuckin chill pill. faustus wasnt abusing the song at all. infact he said he liked it.

and dr faustus i PMd u.

offspring kid
05-20-2005, 04:32 AM
* "new song, previously unreleased" is just a note to Can't Repeat

DUDE cant you SEE ??? PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED ! and cant repeat is NEW MATERIAL and that you can read in the news section !

neocon58
05-20-2005, 04:36 AM
DUDE cant you SEE ??? PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED ! and cant repeat is NEW MATERIAL and that you can read in the news section !

words can not describe my dismay. only internet abbreviations like lmao and omfg can.

the sad thing is if there actually is another unreleased song on the cd, he'll think he was right all along.

offspring kid
05-20-2005, 04:37 AM
christ offspring kid, youre the one that needs a fuckin chill pill. faustus wasnt abusing the song at all. infact he said he liked it.

and dr faustus i PMd u.

i am totaly chilled and i have nothing against dr faustus all i am saying is that just leave this fact that it sounds a little familier and GET ON WITH IT and you have to admit that just to make it sure that cant repeat sounds similar to tkaa and long way home many FUCKING usless threads have been made and if those threads like this are not abusing the song then what the HELL IS THE POINT OF SUCH THREADS ???

Dr.Faustus
05-20-2005, 04:37 AM
Yes, but its still previously unreleased.

ABUSING THE SONG by making this kind of thread

I'm not abusing this song, I said I liked it, read my post properly.

!now dont get me wrong !

I have done, because you said I was abusing the song, but I'm not, I like it.

infact he said he liked it.

Yes, I did.

neocon58
05-20-2005, 04:40 AM

lol. see in the tracklisting, cant repeat has a * next to it.

and the note at the bottom of the list just says that every song in the list with a * next to it means it is previously unreleased. so basically it just means that can't repeat is a new song, even though we already knew. it dosen't mean that there is another song on the cd that they havent told us about yet. although that may be a possibility.

BuddyHolly
05-20-2005, 04:42 AM
words can not describe my dismay. only internet abbreviations like lmao and omfg can.

the sad thing is if there actually is another unreleased song on the cd, he'll think he was right all along.

what does Imao mean? :o

And their won't be another new song on the cd... at least it's NOT listed at the tracklist. And if there will be another new song... well just let him be happy, but he still wasn't right about the fact that it was mentioned at the tracklist (it just isn't).

offspring kid
05-20-2005, 04:43 AM
Yes, but its still previously unreleased.

I'm not abusing this song, I said I liked it, read my post properly.

I have done, because you said I was abusing the song, but I'm not, I like it.

Yes, I did.

i know that you like the song,my meaning is that if we all keep thinking that cant repeat is similar to tkaa and long way home our mind takes us to a place and makes us think that ( ah man this song sucks the offspring didnt put any effort into this song just MIxed tkaa and long way home ) and you never know WHEN YOU START TO DISLIKE THIS SONG

Dr.Faustus
05-20-2005, 04:51 AM
Just because I think the songs are similar doesn't mean that at the back of my mind i'm going to start to dislike the song, I like the song, so I'm not going to dislike it. I respect your opinions in all of this, I just don't agree. :)

offspring kid
05-20-2005, 05:12 AM
Just because I think the songs are similar doesn't mean that at the back of my mind i'm going to start to dislike the song, I like the song, so I'm not going to dislike it. I respect your opinions in all of this, I just don't agree. :)

i was not posting all of this for you YOU LIKE THE SONG i was saying this for those people who are against cant repeat !

Dr.Faustus
05-20-2005, 06:25 AM
Ok, well next time just point that out. :)

Unnatural Disaster
05-20-2005, 09:40 AM
ITS A COOL AND TOTALY DIFFERENT SONG i dont know why it sounds so similar to you GUYS !

Listen to The Kids Aren't Alright, and then listen to Can't Repeat. Then you will understand....

By The Way, I actually do like Can't Repeat a lot (before you start flaming me)

Camilamazed
05-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Can't Repeat didn't surprise lots of people here........... :rolleyes: I liked it a lot tho.

You guys just should stop saying they would have done something a little bit different and etc............. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT'S TO COME.
We all will be shocked with the cd with full of new songs......

Stop Crying Kids :D

IdiotOfTheDay
05-20-2005, 02:09 PM
I was surprised at the extreme similarities, too. THere was a DJ at my local radio station who made a comparison of TKAA and Can't Repeat where they faded into each other, and it went so perfectly together. He was saying how ironic it was, since it's a "repeat" of some previous songs. Who knows, that could be what Dexter was trying for. What's freaky is that even the "whoa-ohs" are the same. I do like the song though, the lyrics really hit close to home for what I'm going through right now.

strife
05-20-2005, 05:54 PM
I don't think the offspring's credibility could take another bad "experimental" song. Can't Repeat was a very safe song to make and i'm glad they went with it. If they want, they can throw a couple of different style songs on the new CD. Because, if they had made a song similar to, say, "Worst hangover ever" for GH, I think fans would have been incredibly frustrated. So they went with a serious song and used a tried and tested formula. I say, good work :) .

neocon58
05-20-2005, 06:04 PM
I don't think the offspring's credibility could take another bad "experimental" song. Can't Repeat was a very safe song to make and i'm glad they went with it. If they want, they can throw a couple of different style songs on the new CD. Because, if they had made a song similar to, say, "Worst hangover ever" for GH, I think fans would have been incredibly frustrated. So they went with a serious song and used a tried and tested formula. I say, good work :) .

well said. good job!

I_Don't_Know
05-20-2005, 06:16 PM
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~raza/care-o-meter.jpg

Hysteria
06-29-2005, 02:45 AM
*bump bump*

Venom Symbiote
06-29-2005, 07:40 AM
As far as Can't Repeat goes, it's a pretty decent song. That's not enough alone to put it on the GH, though. My reasoning is that it's a pretty good representation of the band's "classic" sound. It's representative of their older style (Americana and beforehand) with the newer production aspects, and works pretty well at what it does.

*shrugs* For the most part I can dig it.

dowhatyouwant
06-29-2005, 11:21 AM
i totally agree with you dude, Cant repeat rocks! but the part of the guitar thing that always repeats it's almost the same thing as long way home, dont get me wrong, i love both songs it's just that i was expecting something a little bit different too...they write great songs, but i think they hate writing or something like that cuz see, splinter is a hell of an album, but it only has 10 songs! thta´s not fear, i always want more after i listen to that record, but WTF its the offspring..

Jinger Joe
06-29-2005, 11:28 AM
i totally agree with you dude, Cant repeat rocks! but the part of the guitar thing that always repeats it's almost the same thing as long way home, dont get me wrong, i love both songs it's just that i was expecting something a little bit different too...they write great songs, but i think they hate writing or something like that cuz see, splinter is a hell of an album, but it only has 10 songs! thta´s not fear, i always want more after i listen to that record, but WTF its the offspring..
splinter has 12 songs

nikkiyo
06-29-2005, 12:09 PM
I really like the song....remember at offspring in americana...really good i hope the new album come with
all the offspring power