PDA

View Full Version : Should the cloning of human embryos be allowed in this country?

darko
05-20-2005, 03:11 PM
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/517/

the poll is under Kylies pic

Personally I think not. I dont like the idea of playing god. If we where ment to know about that then we wouldnt have Sex

"Whats ment for you wont pass you by"

Little_Miss_1565
05-20-2005, 03:38 PM
It's a slippery slope. Just because we can fuck around with someone doesn't mean that we necessarily should. However, cloning embryos could do a lot for stem cell research and helping people with spinal injuries, etc. See also human ear grown on back of mouse.

darko
05-20-2005, 03:41 PM
I mean fair enough, for research in to genetic disorders and such like, but there will be people ready to abuse it aswell

Seiraryu
05-21-2005, 03:07 AM
I mean fair enough, for research in to genetic disorders and such like, but there will be people ready to abuse it aswell

Like all modern research, it will be corrupted to be of most use to the capitalists. So no, not in the long run.

However, the actual answer is yes. The United States is a country in which cloning of embryos would fit in perfectly.

Koobie
05-21-2005, 03:34 AM
definetly yes.

reasons why i should have a clone of myself:

1. he wouldn't smoke, and I could use his lungs in 10-20 years.

2. he could remember all the shit i don't.

3. he could go to work for me. and he wouldn't know any better cos he's a dumbass.

4. he'd answer all the fucking phone calls.

5. see #2.

6. see #1, organs. yeah. all new shit.

7. okay, after sitting here for about 2 minutes and not typing anything, see #2 again. fuck.

darko
05-21-2005, 03:48 AM
However, the actual answer is yes. The United States is a country in which cloning of embryos would fit in perfectly.

U know that wont surprise me

Seiraryu
05-21-2005, 03:55 AM
You know, that wouldn't surprise me.

Better.

And I'm sure it wouldn't, little surprises people like you.

darko
05-21-2005, 04:08 AM
actually a lot does

like stupid little boys drinking petrol

Seiraryu
05-21-2005, 04:30 AM
Surprising yourself doesn't count.

Piedude
05-21-2005, 05:12 AM
Im all for cloning Stem cells, besides, you shouldnt hold back scientific breakthroughs that could save the health of Aethists just because you consider it "Playing God"

Seiraryu
05-21-2005, 05:15 AM
Im all for cloning Stem cells, besides, you shouldnt hold back scientific breakthroughs that could save the health of Aethists just because you consider it "Playing God"

I don't know if the original "we shouldn't play God" was meant literally of figuratively, but your post is stupid. You're saying that only atheists are worth saving via cures that could be acquired with stem cell research, which is completely idiotic.

Now, if you had said "...that could save the health of all non-fundamentalist non-bible-thumpers," I'd be more inclined to agree.

Skate Rat 19
05-21-2005, 04:30 PM
what if someone raised a clone army and spat out soldier every hour and tried conquering the world, what if this led to being able to COMPLETELY genetically alter someone, what if you could give someone wings, or give them crazy mind powers or intennas so they could listen to the radio without having to buy one!!!

darko
05-21-2005, 04:31 PM
what if someone raised a clone army and spat out soldier every hour and tried conquering the world, what if this led to being able to COMPLETELY genetically alter someone, what if you could give someone wings, or give them crazy mind powers or intennas so they could listen to the radio without having to buy one!!!

No honey, this is real life....not some mad comic book

0r4ng3
05-21-2005, 04:34 PM
No honey, this is real life....not some mad comic book
That would be cool though.

Not Ozymandias
05-24-2005, 10:38 PM
the poll is under Kylies pic
That's one of the funniest sentences I've read in a while...

Dead Cheerleader
05-25-2005, 02:42 AM
I'm not reading the responses to this post but my first instinct is Why? I mean cloning is neat and all but for humans? It CERTAINLY has its uses in gerealy molecular biology or biochemistry research. Most cloning of higher organisms like cats or cows is money-driven, which doesn't really spark my interest as a scientist, so I wouldn't advocate it. At the same time I love the idea of playing God. Some (probably sick) part of me would like to create strange mutants and combinations of animals just for fun but as far as science is concerned, yeah we know how to clone, yeah its nice but cloning a human is actually kind of boring. And the clone wouldn't have the exact upbringing as the original so it may be a waste if you are trying to duplicate an individual, although of course they would be incredibly similar in personality and disposition. I guess cloning should only be used in laboratory technique with virology and stuff.

Dead Cheerleader
05-25-2005, 02:52 AM

Cloning stem cells?!?!?!? Um, stem cells are actually HOW you clone a eukaryote. You cannot clone stem cells unless you count cloning an individual as cloning stem cells (weird cycle). lol I fuckin wish. And yeah I agree, religion has no place in science or this type of debate but unfortunately that's the world we live in. That of course can be easily changed as evident by our experience with government as history has certainly shown. I think its in progress. All this is fucking inevitable, it's just a matter of time. It will all eventually happen, the only thing that will vary is the time it takes for it to become legal. And I mean when you have people like David Baltimore (nobel prize in physics and medicine 1975) debating with George Bush (Harvard University D average), you can just imagine the outcome. The sciensts will prevail. And I will help them.

darko
05-25-2005, 11:34 AM
yeah, dolly the sheep was cloned, ended up riddled with Arthritis {sp} and i think now the damn sheep is dead!

Flexing Wings
05-25-2005, 01:09 PM
definetly yes.

reasons why i should have a clone of myself:

1. he wouldn't smoke, and I could use his lungs in 10-20 years.

2. he could remember all the shit i don't.

3. he could go to work for me. and he wouldn't know any better cos he's a dumbass.

4. he'd answer all the fucking phone calls.

5. see #2.

6. see #1, organs. yeah. all new shit.

7. okay, after sitting here for about 2 minutes and not typing anything, see #2 again. fuck.

I reckon that would about sum-up any reason why i would be against it...

RXP
05-25-2005, 01:10 PM
I used to have this perverted fantasy of cloning a girl I really liked ubt could never have for some reason (say she was married or somtehing). So I'd get hre DNA, accelerate her growth and she'd be mine. Ha.

Flexing Wings
05-25-2005, 01:13 PM
I used to have this perverted fantasy of cloning a girl I really liked ubt could never have for some reason (say she was married or somtehing). So I'd get hre DNA, accelerate her growth and she'd be mine. Ha.

i say why not, i bet you'd be able to get the funding and support EASILY... hahahaahah mmmm I'd like one James Hetfield and a side of order of Brandon Lee please...

RXP
05-25-2005, 01:15 PM
I'd order Summer from the OC but with a bigger chest.

Flexing Wings
05-25-2005, 01:19 PM
don't watch OC, but hahahahaha

Rye
05-25-2005, 07:34 PM
I don't think cloning should be legal at all. I mean, considering how over populated the world is. Also considering what a large percantage of those people are moronic.

Dead Cheerleader
05-26-2005, 01:44 AM
I hardly think it would significantly contribute to overpopulation. And if smart, uncorrupted (I don't know if that's a word) people are doing the cloning, presumably they would clone smart, valuable individuals and positively alter the extremely unbalanced ratio of smart to stupid people in the world.

darko
05-26-2005, 11:34 AM
what u mean a little like Gattaca?

shadowind
06-27-2005, 04:38 PM
why clone people
your creating a life
a human
theres no smart reason to clone that i can think of

RXP
06-28-2005, 12:26 AM
I read my posts over and I think it would be awesome to order a human being like Summer from the OC but hard wired to be totally into you.