PDA

View Full Version : Hooray for Australia

BuddyHolly
05-21-2005, 10:40 AM
First I wanted to go to Canada but I'm not going anymore since the organization I was going to travel with was overbooked :( Now I decieded to go to Australia for 8 months. I'm going at the beginning of October. When I get there I want to buy a car and travel across Australia like... drive to a town, work there for a couple of weeks and move to the next town.

Does anyone know some city's where I could find a job pretty easy? Or any places in Australia I must have seen once in my life?

the_GoDdEsS
05-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Whoa, a dream come true. It's in my top three on the 'Destinations to Invade and Conquer' list.

JoY
05-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Whoa, a dream come true. It's in my top three on the 'Destinations to Invade and Conquer' list.
as it is on mine. I had some crazy idea about going to Australia, when I'd finished high school, but then I remembered I'm scared as shit for scorpions. uhh, yeah. I'm strange. especially since I had absolutely no problems being in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Saint Martin, Saba, & numorous of other destinations I've been, where scary creatures live.

either way; kick-ass! I have no information whatsoever that I can give you, so I'll just say; have a fuckingly great time. & watch out for scorpions.

Sin Studly
05-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Australian scorpions are mostly tiny and non-lethal. I wouldn't worry about them.

BuddyHolly
05-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Australian scorpions are mostly tiny and non-lethal. I wouldn't worry about them.

Indeed... I've been to Australia once before. My aunt lives there so we went to here place for about a month. The bedroom my parents were sleeping there was this littly tiny scorpion walking around. It looked soooo cute :)

Sin Studly
05-21-2005, 10:58 AM
To answer your first question, you should see Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, the great barrier reef, and Uluru. And it shouldn't be too hard for you to find work.

Where will you be holing up for the majority of the stay?

TheHulaChick
05-21-2005, 10:59 AM
First I wanted to go to Canada but I'm not going anymore since the organization I was going to travel with was overbooked :( Now I decieded to go to Australia for 8 months. I'm going at the beginning of October. When I get there I want to buy a car and travel across Australia like... drive to a town, work there for a couple of weeks and move to the next town.

Does anyone know some city's where I could find a job pretty easy? Or any places in Australia I must have seen once in my life?

Hey that sounds awesome. I dunno if I can recommend any places where you can get work (I've lived here all my life and can't get work lol) but I know a bit about travelling, I went on quite a few long road trips when I was younger. Places to go... hmm... DON'T go to to Darwin in the summer, I did that, not good, way to hot. Canberra was pretty enh, pretty boring and too cold for me. Adelaide (where I live) is ok, but not much worth seeing. Northen Territory is pretty cool, I would recommend seeing Uluru (Ayers rock) I went there it's pretty awesome, it has such a strange cool vibe around it. Also I would go to Sydney or Queensland, I haven't been there, but they look fun to me :D

the_GoDdEsS
05-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Uluru is the breathtakingly beautiful red rock?

TheHulaChick
05-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Yeah that's it. I took some beautiful pics of it when I went there, I'd post em but they need scanning.

Sin Studly
05-21-2005, 11:04 AM
There's nothing wrong with Adelaide.

BuddyHolly
05-21-2005, 11:04 AM
To answer your first question, you should see Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, the great barrier reef, and Uluru. And it shouldn't be too hard for you to find work.

Where will you be holing up for the majority of the stay?

Thanks. :)

I will probably start my trip in the Melbourne area (since my aunt lives there).

Hey that sounds awesome. I dunno if I can recommend any places where you can get work (I've lived here all my life and can't get work lol) but I know a bit about travelling, I went on quite a few long road trips when I was younger. Places to go... hmm... DON'T go to to Darwin in the summer, I did that, not good, way to hot. Canberra was pretty enh, pretty boring and too cold for me. Adelaide (where I live) is ok, but not much worth seeing. Northen Territory is pretty cool, I would recommend seeing Uluru (Ayers rock) I went there it's pretty awesome, it has such a strange cool vibe around it. Also I would go to Sydney or Queensland, I haven't been there, but they look fun to me :D

Thank you too :)

I wrote down those places so I won't forget em :)

Some more questions I just made up:

How much do you have to pay for carfuel? And do you have to pay taxes for you car?

JoY
05-21-2005, 11:05 AM
Justin; I know. I KNOW. that why it makes me so stupidly silly.

either way, I never thought I'd get into medicine with my first try. I expected at least a year time to travel around & I was even planning the trip, when I got the news I got in. I probably would've gone to Australia, or other fantastic places, if it wasn't for that unexpected, but pleasant surprise.

BuddyHolly
05-21-2005, 11:07 AM
either way; kick-ass! I have no information whatsoever that I can give you, so I'll just say; have a fuckingly great time. & watch out for scorpions.

Thank you very much. I think it will be the best time of my life. I just have to get out of our tiny country... just to clear my mind and find out what i want with my life (it sounds deeper then it is i guess ;) )

offspringintenselyrock
05-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Indeed... I've been to Australia once before. My aunt lives there so we went to here place for about a month. The bedroom my parents were sleeping there was this littly tiny scorpion walking around. It looked soooo cute :)
Erm..you do know that the tiny ones are often the most deadly? Like how the big black emperor scorpion isn't very dangerous. And a general rule is that if a scorpion's pincers are thin and little, it's usually more venemous. Haha! Unlike spiders, who's fangs have a hard time penetrating your skin if they're small.
Anyway....I wish I could go down under. I love the place. Even though I've never been there. It just seems so awesome. Plus their accent rocks! Hehe just a general rule for going to australia would be to check your boot and clothes and bed! I reckon australia must have the most dangerous animals in the world :) especially snakes. I love snakes.

BuddyHolly
05-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Erm..you do know that the tiny ones are often the most deadly? Like how the big black emperor scorpion isn't very dangerous. And a general rule is that if a scorpion's pincers are thin and little, it's usually more venemous. Haha! Unlike spiders, who's fangs have a hard time penetrating your skin if they're small.
Anyway....I wish I could go down under. I love the place. Even though I've never been there. It just seems so awesome. Plus their accent rocks! Hehe just a general rule for going to australia would be to check your boot and clothes and bed! I reckon australia must have the most dangerous animals in the world :) especially snakes. I love snakes.

Well... I smashed it with a shoe so that one isn't that dangerous anymore ;)

JoY
05-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Erm..you do know that the tiny ones are often the most deadly?
that's what I've heard too. so the tinier = the scarier to me. NOT cute.

TheHulaChick
05-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Thank you too :)

I wrote down those places so I won't forget em :)

Some more questions I just made up:

How much do you have to pay for carfuel? And do you have to pay taxes for you car?

If you want to travel a lot get a car on Autogas cause that's only around 45cents a litre, petrol is massively expensive like $1.10 or so a litre. Taxes I don't know much bout.

JoY
05-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Thank you very much. I think it will be the best time of my life. I just have to get out of our tiny country... just to clear my mind and find out what i want with my life (it sounds deeper then it is i guess ;) )
isn't that what everybody wants after years & years of being stuck in the same place? it doesn't sound that deep (although you might want it to sound deep, in which case.. sorries?), but quite simple really. you're real young, you don't know yet what your future will look like & even more important; you don't even know for sure yet what you -want- your future to look like. plus, high school often keeps you rather focussed on other things, besides yourself. in this way, it keeps you pretty much immature. it's good to focuss on yourself for a while, so in the mean time you can figure out what you want your future to look like.

TheHulaChick
05-21-2005, 11:14 AM
I reckon australia must have the most dangerous animals in the world :) especially snakes. I love snakes.
I don't love snakes, well harmless ones yeah, but I was extremely close to getting bitten by a Brown Snake once, second most deadly snake in Oz. Scared the shit outta me.

Sin Studly
05-21-2005, 11:14 AM
that's what I've heard too. so the tinier = the scarier to me. NOT cute.

Ours are so tiny they're practically transparent. The worst they can do is make you puke for eight hours, and they're very very timid anyway.

It's the snakes, sharks, poisonous aquatic life, spiders, wild boars, giant flightless birds, red kangaroos, wasps, and crocodiles you should worry about.

JoY
05-21-2005, 11:20 AM
snakes, sharks, poisonous aquatic life, spiders, wasps & crocodiles I've dealt with before. even though sharks also frighten the hell out of me, I'm not that scared for them. which is weird, because once I saw one attacking my brother in Florida. maybe it's -because- I saw one attacking my brother in Florida. *grins*

I've once in my life seen a scorpion. it was in the south of France, or Italy, or whatever. I don't remember. either way, before I found one drowned in our pool, I used to have nightmares about them. after that it instantly stopped. I guess I'd be much more okay with visiting Australia on my own now, than I was when I was 19. I was even more immature, silly, unstable & insecure then, than I am now. I guess scorpions were always just an excuse anyway.

BuddyHolly
05-21-2005, 11:20 AM
isn't that what everybody wants after years & years of being stuck in the same place? it doesn't sound that deep (although you might want it to sound deep, in which case.. sorries?), but quite simple really. you're real young, you don't know yet what your future will look like & even more important; you don't even know for sure yet what you -want- your future to look like. plus, high school often keeps you rather focussed on other things, besides yourself. in this way, it keeps you pretty much immature. it's good to focuss on yourself for a while, so in the mean time you can figure out what you want your future to look like.

High school wasn't a problem... I've much pretty skipped almost all classes for the last 3 years. The thing that got me focussed on other things was weed... now i've stopped smoking that stupid shit and now reallity becomes clear wich is kind of scaring me. But since I've skipped school for so many years of highschool i still don't have my diploma. So this trip is pretty much about finding out what to do in the future without a diploma...

offspringintenselyrock
05-21-2005, 11:22 AM
I don't love snakes, well harmless ones yeah, but I was extremely close to getting bitten by a Brown Snake once, second most deadly snake in Oz. Scared the shit outta me.
A brown snake? Seriously? Woah...how did that happen?

JoY
05-21-2005, 11:22 AM
comes down to the same thing.=)

BuddyHolly
05-21-2005, 11:23 AM
comes down to the same thing.=)

haha yeah you're right... smoking that much weed has fucked up my brain ;)

offspringintenselyrock
05-21-2005, 11:24 AM
snakes, sharks, poisonous aquatic life, spiders, wasps & crocodiles I've dealt with before. even though sharks also frighten the hell out of me, I'm not that scared for them. which is weird, because once I saw one attacking my brother in Florida. maybe it's -because- I saw one attacking my brother in Florida. *grins*
Ouch....was your brother okay? Has he got huge scars or anything? Which shark was it? Was he surfing? Are all these questions annoying you? (if they are, sorry!)

offspringintenselyrock
05-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Well... I smashed it with a shoe so that one isn't that dangerous anymore ;)
Lol...aw poor thing! How evil!

JoY
05-21-2005, 11:28 AM
he was playing some kind of beach-tennis with a friend he'd made there. luckily he was too close to the shore for the shark to attack him effectively. he jumped away as soon as he saw that thing jumping at him. there was a lot of splashing & stuff going along & it looked real fucking scary, but he came away with only a few scratches from the fins.

as do I, my brother has two tiny angels sitting on each shoulder. we always manage to get in the most ridiculous & scary situations with possibly the worst consequences & we -always- get away without any damage.

BuddyHolly
05-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Lol...aw poor thing! How evil!

not as evil as Satan ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/bart_gk/satan.jpg

offspringintenselyrock
05-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Wow...I'm glad you believe in angels :) I gotta go now, nice chatting about dangerous stuff! I'll get to australia one day....

Sin Studly
05-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Don't worry Bella, I'll protect you from the scorpions. But if anything else I mentioned attacks us, I'm using you as a human shield.

TheHulaChick
05-21-2005, 11:37 AM
A brown snake? Seriously? Woah...how did that happen?

We used to have chickens and it was hiding behind a box right beside the nest where the chooks lay. I was just reaching down for the eggs when I had a sudden urge to stop and peek over the box first, which I did and there it was, it's head was inches from where my hand would've been if I'd reached down. I think the odds of being bitten woulda been 100% if I'd reached down for the eggs. Very, very scary.

Sin Studly
05-21-2005, 12:10 PM
You still woulda had a 10% chance of living, maybe. Although I figure you'd definately lose a limb if it bit you.

offspringintenselyrock
05-21-2005, 12:13 PM
not as evil as Satan ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/bart_gk/satan.jpg
Hehe who's that?

offspringintenselyrock
05-21-2005, 12:15 PM
We used to have chickens and it was hiding behind a box right beside the nest where the chooks lay. I was just reaching down for the eggs when I had a sudden urge to stop and peek over the box first, which I did and there it was, it's head was inches from where my hand would've been if I'd reached down. I think the odds of being bitten woulda been 100% if I'd reached down for the eggs. Very, very scary.

Wow. What are chooks- an aussie name for chickens, right? How did you get rid of the snake?

TheHulaChick
05-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Wow. What are chooks- an aussie name for chickens, right? How did you get rid of the snake?

Yeah chickens, chooks, same thing.

Well after I saw the snake I freaked out and got outta there fast as I could and we called a proffesional snake catcher who lived near by and he came and took it away for us. The only way he could get it was to grab it's tail and drag it out. Was kinda scary cause while he was holding it by the tail it nearly bit him too. But he finally grabbed the head and it was ok. Phew.

You still woulda had a 10% chance of living, maybe. Although I figure you'd definately lose a limb if it bit you.

That's a nice thought, thanks. I live right near a hospital tho, so I probably woulda lived at least.

BuddyHolly
05-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Hehe who's that?

that's satan... aka Bob Saget

offspringintenselyrock
05-28-2005, 04:33 PM
that's satan... aka Bob Saget
Who's Bob Saget?