PDA

View Full Version : Darwin IV

ASP
05-22-2005, 07:47 AM
I was really fucking bored a couple weeks ago. So I started flipping through the channels, and when I came across the discovery channel, I noticed that they had something very interesting on, for the first time. It was about this planet they discovered that they believe has life on it, called Darwin 4. I know they said that several times before, but this time they are so sure of it that NASA is going to send a robotic mission to this remote planet. I was wodering what your thoughts on this are. Cause I think that is pretty cool.

0r4ng3
05-22-2005, 07:49 AM
I think it's cool. They find planets every other day, but rarely do they find one with life on it.

the_GoDdEsS
05-22-2005, 07:50 AM
It's one of my life goals to discover a planet or a star.

ASP
05-22-2005, 07:53 AM
They aren't completely sure that life is on it, as of yet, but they will be sending a few robots to it in the year 2014. Another amazing thing about that, is that they will be sending the most highly intelegent robots that have ever been created, to that planet.

nieh
05-22-2005, 07:59 AM
What star is this planet around...? If it's not our sun then I don't see how they'd be able to send anything there without something going wrong on the way.

ASP
05-22-2005, 08:02 AM
I forgot the name of the binary star system that it circles, but they are sending a very large rocket, that has an exremely large, metal shield on the front, so that no space debris or the like can damage anything.

Noodles is gay
05-22-2005, 08:09 AM
that's pretty cool - I always believed that there must be life somewhere else in the universe.

nieh
05-22-2005, 08:10 AM
The closest star to Earth is 4.3 lightyears away isn't it? That'll take FOREVER for something to get there that's not travelling at the speed of light.

Dead Cheerleader
05-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Well there is the remote possibility that humans will not kill themselves off in the next few hundred years, meaning a future generation might be around when the probes reach the planet. Very interesting. Wouldn't that kick ass to see a world in another stage of evolution. Damn the whole dying thing.

Endymion
05-22-2005, 09:11 AM
false. i believe the discover channel airs "what if" shows; i think you saw one of those.

ASP
05-22-2005, 11:41 AM
false. i believe the discover channel airs "what if" shows; i think you saw one of those.
No, it said dates, times, exact plans that NASA has, but everything else on the show is what ifs. Thaey made up a whole bunch of animals that they want to believe are there. But there is truth to the show, because it used exact plans that NASA has.

ASP
05-22-2005, 11:42 AM
The closest star to Earth is 4.3 lightyears away isn't it? That'll take FOREVER for something to get there that's not travelling at the speed of light.
They said it would travel just under the speed of light, and take about 43 years to get there.

Endymion
05-22-2005, 11:50 AM
god you're an idiot: http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/alienplanet/about/about.html

The drama takes place on Darwin IV, a fictional planet 6.5 light-years from Earth, with two suns and 60 percent gravity.

ASP
05-22-2005, 11:54 AM
god you're an idiot: http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/alienplanet/about/about.html
Why yes, I am stupid, aren't I. Thank you for pointing that out. I feel ilke a dumbass now. I didn't see the very beggining of it, anyway. I can't be blamed, I saw very detailed plans and thought it was going to happen. Thank you for making me realize that I am in fact a dumbass, though.