PDA

View Full Version : To Noodles is gay

RazielSR
05-24-2005, 03:55 PM

Noodles is gay
05-24-2005, 04:00 PM
You being serious? :eek: :D

Yeah, Homer is awesome! I love that simile, it's almost as good as the one which describes how Polythemus' eye hissed when Odysseus poked an olive wood staff into it - like a blacksmith.

And Euripides is awesome too - my favourite. :D

So you're interested in ancient Greece then? cool!

RazielSR
05-24-2005, 04:12 PM

Noodles is gay
05-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Wicked! I too am VERY interested in ancient Greece! Do you know Greek? Or Latin?

Sophocles is amazing, but Euripides is the best – have you read Euripides’ Bacchae?

Aristophanes is pretty cool too; you read him? Very funny :D

Homer is godlike in his writing; his similes are incredible and he’s just amazing. Yes, everyone should read him.

Yeah, Greece was extremely important in the evolution of mankind – especially Athenian democracy. I’m currently reading Thukydides’ history of the Peloponnesian War, and Herodotos’ histories. These really show how incredible the Greeks were in a different way to the great plays.

heh, it's really cool how you call myths 'mythos' - is that the spanish word or something? It's also the greek word for story. :p

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-24-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm seeing that in your sign, you have a great sentence extracted from Iliad.

I'm a fan of Iliad, Odissey, Homero, Euripides, Sofocles, Esquilo, Platon, etc, etc... I love ancient greece and the mythos.

I'm saying all this cause I'm very surprised of seeing somebody who signs like this.

Ruls a lot ;)

Don't encourage her! :p

Endymion
05-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Don't encourage her! :p

psh, the topic was made about that stuff so it'd be keeping on topic. it's just a bit overboard when the greek stuff ends up in every thread...

JoY
05-25-2005, 01:29 AM
now if I'm fair; Medea entertained the hell out of me.

Dead Cheerleader
05-25-2005, 03:20 AM
Goddammit!! Another one who knows Greek...it just seems to me that everyone who knows/understands Greek and the Greeks, loves them. FUCK I need to learn huh Jen. Do you know Latin well yet?

Cum libet, heac tristi depellit nubila caelo, cum libet, aestivo convocat orbe nives.

RazielSR
05-25-2005, 04:01 AM
Wicked! I too am VERY interested in ancient Greece! Do you know Greek? Or Latin?

Sophocles is amazing, but Euripides is the best – have you read Euripides’ Bacchae?

Aristophanes is pretty cool too; you read him? Very funny :D

Homer is godlike in his writing; his similes are incredible and he’s just amazing. Yes, everyone should read him.

Yeah, Greece was extremely important in the evolution of mankind – especially Athenian democracy. I’m currently reading Thukydides’ history of the Peloponnesian War, and Herodotos’ histories. These really show how incredible the Greeks were in a different way to the great plays.

heh, it's really cool how you call myths 'mythos' - is that the spanish word or something? It's also the greek word for story. :p

Well, I like to use mythos, cause is the original word, sounds better. In spanish is Mito.

I don't have knowledgements of greek or latin. I know a little bit of latin and some word in greek....But I can't tell you that I know greek or latin o_O, but my girlfriend knows a lot of greek and latin.
Spanish is the most similar language to latin actually, even more than Italian. Spanish is the most..."large" language actually. Large = quantity of words. To say something in english for example you can use very few words, but in spanish is defferent, you have to use a lot of words. For this you can be sure that the translations of books from latin or greece to spanish are the best translations you can find.

I wanna read something by Aristophanes once I finish euripides tragedies.

Dead Cheerleader
05-25-2005, 04:09 AM
Dude who posted before me:

Yeah English is the beautiful Germanic/Romantic mix. If you read older English there are many direct cognates and similarities in language to Latin but many that are completely German. I actually give props to English even though it is generally an undecipherable mess of many languages seemingly thrown together and has no real structure, and NO FUCKING MOODS, which I'm sure my Latin and Greek peeps will recognize. Greek like what 4!!! moods, Latin 2, or 3 if you count the archeic Greek accusative of respect. I hate it and love it at the same time.

Dragonkiato
05-25-2005, 04:13 AM
i'm greek but i dont like ancient greek authors.should i be ashamed??after studing them at school i find them boring...

JoY
05-25-2005, 04:25 AM
I liked Greek myths. Latin appealed to me much less, but it was the only thing that I thought could be of use in my future studies. plus, I was horrible at math & Greek - there seems to be a correlation between the two. I was fantastic at French, so Latin was an obvious choice. but alltogether languages bored me. the stories were the one thing I liked & Latin/Roman stories weren't even -that- exciting.

I think Spanish is one of the most beautiful languages in the world, if not the most beautiful. but of course, I must add, I don't know any Eastern European languages. the closest I get is knowing a bit of German & even though I have nothing against the country, I don't like German all that much. maybe because it's too much like my own language. I'll believe you, when you say Spanish has a lot in common with old Latin (well of course, even Dutch finds a lot of it's sources there for many words), but I refuse to believe it has more in common with Latin than Italian. maybe I should ask a friend, who's studied both & can speak both almost fluently.

RazielSR
05-25-2005, 04:42 AM
Dude who posted before me:

Yeah English is the beautiful Germanic/Romantic mix. If you read older English there are many direct cognates and similarities in language to Latin but many that are completely German. I actually give props to English even though it is generally an undecipherable mess of many languages seemingly thrown together and has no real structure, and NO FUCKING MOODS, which I'm sure my Latin and Greek peeps will recognize. Greek like what 4!!! moods, Latin 2, or 3 if you count the archeic Greek accusative of respect. I hate it and love it at the same time.

But Greek has a perfect structure, ant latin too. All the languages we have actually, are very "simple". English rolz, but is very simple in comparation to spanish. That's because the germanic influence. If you read "El Quijote" by Cervantes in English, it's not the same...English is better for the actual way of life, I think.

Spanish has this influences:

Carthaginian
Phoenician
Greek
Latin
Arabian

You cand find words from each language. For example, the word "Hola" (hello in english). Hola comes from Arabia... (it comes from the word Alá I think... lol

But actual spanish is maybe...98% Latin...because the influence of The Roman Empire, etc, etc. Everybody has been here in Spain...phoencicians, carthaginian,greeks, romans, arabians, cause you can enter to Spain, from everywhere you want...(It is a peninsula).

For example, my city, Valencia was founded by Julius Brutii, but there are many towns near valencia founded by arabians. You can find Alicante, Denia, etc, etc that were founded by greeks.

Spain is: 70% Roman, 13% Arabian, 10% Greek, 5% Phoenician, 2% Chartaginian.

The name of "Spain" comes from phoenicians, The original is I-shphanim. Then the cartaghinians thought that the phoenicians said Spania, so they called Spania, then the greeks heard that the original natives said a lot this word: "Iber", so greeks called Spain, "Iberia", then the Romans called Spain, Hispania, thanks to the "contact" with carthaginians. After, the arabians called Al-Andalus, to the zone that today is Andalucia. Then you have Vascos (Basque country)...they say that they are independent from spain, cause nobody reach basque country...and the famous terrorist group (ETA), is interested to bomb all around for this...

Now the english people say Spain (similar to chartaginians), and spanish say España.

JoY
05-25-2005, 04:47 AM
English simple because of "Germanic influence"? ever tried to learn German, or Dutch??

RazielSR
05-25-2005, 04:49 AM
I liked Greek myths. Latin appealed to me much less, but it was the only thing that I thought could be of use in my future studies. plus, I was horrible at math & Greek - there seems to be a correlation between the two. I was fantastic at French, so Latin was an obvious choice. but alltogether languages bored me. the stories were the one thing I liked & Latin/Roman stories weren't even -that- exciting.

I think Spanish is one of the most beautiful languages in the world, if not the most beautiful. but of course, I must add, I don't know any Eastern European languages. the closest I get is knowing a bit of German & even though I have nothing against the country, I don't like German all that much. maybe because it's too much like my own language. I'll believe you, when you say Spanish has a lot in common with old Latin (well of course, even Dutch finds a lot of it's sources there for many words), but I refuse to believe it has more in common with Latin than Italian. maybe I should ask a friend, who's studied both & can speak both almost fluently.

And we have a dialect here (Valencian, that is even more similar to latin than spanish. There are words that are THE SAME original Latin word. Catalán language (Barcelona) is very similar too, but has more french influence.

The second Rome was spain, and the second country with more latin influence is Spain.

I hate when the people think that Latin means "south american". South America was conquered by spaniards, thats all. The same with Los Angeles, San Francisco, Florida, etc, etc..was founded by spaniards.

So when you hear somebody from south america, speaking spanish...well...I'ts not the same.

RazielSR
05-25-2005, 04:51 AM
English simple because of "Germanic influence"? ever tried to learn German, or Dutch??

Well, maybe It wasn't the correct way to say that english is simple. German is very large too, and you must (how do you say it?) use declinations.

Noodles is gay
05-25-2005, 05:19 AM
For this you can be sure that the translations of books from latin or greece to spanish are the best translations you can find.

no, my translations are the best you can read! :D Translating Aristophanes' Clouds at the moment.

I wanna read something by Aristophanes once I finish euripides tragedies.

tough call to decide which is better - possibly Euripides but Aristophanes is also awesome.

now if I'm fair; Medea entertained the hell out of me.

That's because it's Euripides and his plays are awesome - although Medea is far from being his best.

Goddammit!! Another one who knows Greek...it just seems to me that everyone who knows/understands Greek and the Greeks, loves them. FUCK I need to learn huh Jen. Do you know Latin well yet?

Cum libet, heac tristi depellit nubila caelo, cum libet, aestivo convocat orbe nives.

Yes, you certainly do need to learn! Greek's awesome! But no, my Latin is still quite bad really; I have a fair idea what the line means (where's it from by the way?). No guarantees because I've just got up and also it's not Greek :cool::

When pleased, he sorrowfully removes this cloudy weather, when pleased, summer assembles snow in a region/area.

Or something along those lines anyhow, in fact that's probably quite appalling...nevermind.

I'm unsure about this whole language thing but 15% of English words come from Greek.

Jimbob2005
05-25-2005, 05:21 AM
Hi Jen!

Noodles is gay
05-25-2005, 05:23 AM
Morning James! :D

I'm off for breakfast I'm afraid...I have a mango somewhere.

Later/

Jimbob2005
05-25-2005, 05:23 AM
Okay, laters.

Camilamazed
05-25-2005, 06:03 AM
Yaaaaaaaay. Finally someone to talk about NIG's fav subject :D She must be very happy......

Mota Boy
05-25-2005, 08:40 AM
I don't think that's so much because everyone who begins to learn Greek immediately falls in love with the language, but that if you're the type who decides to seek out and dedicate yourself to an ancient language then you're doing it because you like it, as it has no practical applications. At my high school at least two years of an ancient language was required, and I know of quite a few people that took Greek and hated it.

Noodles is gay
05-25-2005, 08:42 AM
That's because it was compulsory - if you choose to do it of your own free will it's far easier to love. I hated compulsory German.

JoY
05-25-2005, 09:47 AM
no, it's the other way around; you choose it, because you love it.