PDA

View Full Version : Offspring doing history

scotishabbit
05-26-2005, 11:42 AM
i read the other day that offspring is the punk band that has sold out more copies in the world: more than the ramones, more than nirvana, more than green day , more than all the punk bands!so in some way offspring is the best punk band ever, because if people buy their albums is because they like it and if they are the punk band that sold out more than any band until today is because the mayority like them and so they are the best punk band ever:D

offspring kid
05-26-2005, 11:44 AM
i read the other day that offspring is the punk band that has sold out more copies in the world: more than the ramones, more than nirvana, more than green day , more than all the punk bands!so in some way offspring is the best punk band ever, because if people buy their albums is because they like it and if they are the punk band that sold out more than any band until today is because the mayority like them and so they are the best punk band ever:D

cool man...but tell me one thing where do you read all this cool stuff ?

Noodles is gay
05-26-2005, 11:52 AM
so in some way offspring is the best punk band ever, because if people buy their albums is because they like it

Or perhaps the Offspring's album just appeal to kids' grandparents more than any other band's? :p

Mannen som blev en gris
05-26-2005, 11:57 AM
I read that somewhere too, I still find it very hard to belive.... :/ I suppose it's true though. :)

killer_queen
05-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Or perhaps the Offspring's album just appeal to kids' grandparents more than any other band's? :p
this is more sensible. selling more doesn't mean that they're the best.

Tijs
05-26-2005, 03:42 PM
I knew they sold more than Nirvana, MTV said Nirvana sold about 27million records. Offspring are on 34million or something now, right?
More than Green Day.. no wonder.
More than the Ramones.. no wonder, but I didn't expect that.

coke_a_holic
05-26-2005, 04:31 PM
Offspring's not a punk band anymore. If you had said this in the Ignition days, then they would have been. But they're really not a punk band.

JohnnyNemesis
05-26-2005, 05:09 PM
They've also had more records released and more years in existence than most other bands.

Camilamazed
05-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Offspring's not a punk band anymore. If you had said this in the Ignition days, then they would have been. But they're really not a punk band.

I'm sorry Buddy but I have to say that.

I'm fucking tired of this bullshit about being punk or not.What matters to me is that they're still my favorite band and they're original.No one can come up with a style of music similar to their... People should stop worrying about their music style as long as they keep being a great band...... :cool:

0r4ng3
05-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Makes sense that The Offspring sold more than Nirvana, its 3 CDs against 7. Green Day would be a close call, but I can believe it.

First, I didn't know how The Offspring were "doing history". After reading the posts, I think it should be "making history". Just a suggestion.

I don't know
05-26-2005, 08:19 PM
that's awesome :D

Homer
05-26-2005, 08:22 PM
First, I didn't know how The Offspring were "doing history". After reading the posts, I think it should be "making history". Just a suggestion.

guess where he's from.

0r4ng3
05-26-2005, 08:29 PM
guess where he's from.
Oops. I never look at people's locations. Anyway, it was just a suggestion, I'm not trying to be mean or anything.

I don't know
05-26-2005, 08:30 PM
he's just teaching him

Homer
05-26-2005, 08:31 PM
he's just teaching him

damnit! Like we need another teacher who's gonna give up on me.... oops, I said too much... :D

I don't know
05-26-2005, 08:32 PM
damnit! Like we need another teacher who's gonna give up on me.... oops, I said too much... :D
hehehehe :D at least he's not your teacher....

Gordie
05-26-2005, 09:20 PM
nirvana wasn't a punk band, they were grunge

dain84
05-26-2005, 09:30 PM
nirvana wasn't a punk band, they were grunge
they had punk influence, just like Offspring has grunge influence.

Rye
05-26-2005, 09:38 PM

Technically, they're pop punkrock.

curuja
05-26-2005, 09:43 PM
"pop-Punkrock", I hate this! They're just a FUCKING GREAT BAND, stop with this shit, punk or not Offspring rules!!!

Mannen som blev en gris
05-27-2005, 01:07 AM
^They can rule no matter what their style is....

Telekinesis
05-27-2005, 03:41 AM
You guys are probably gonna hate me for saying this but you already hate me so I don't care, I think The Ramones suck! Joey can't sing for shit! he sounds like he's fucking high or something. Go ahead ridicule me I don't care coz they suck! The only reason I even know about them is because of The Offspring's cover of I Wanna Be Sedated. I'm sorry I just don't see what's so great about them

Dirty Bertie
05-27-2005, 04:09 AM
Fuck it TK... just as I was warming up to you again, you guy and make a lamearse comment about the Ramones. :confused:

Take the shit out of years and go and re-invest in their back-catalog - it's worth it. :D

killer_queen
05-27-2005, 07:04 AM
You guys are probably gonna hate me for saying this but you already hate me so I don't care, I think The Ramones suck! Joey can't sing for shit! he sounds like he's fucking high or something. Go ahead ridicule me I don't care coz they suck! The only reason I even know about them is because of The Offspring's cover of I Wanna Be Sedated. I'm sorry I just don't see what's so great about them
i like the ramones but i can't understand why people like them that much.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
05-27-2005, 08:41 AM
They're not shit... they just aren't as kick ass as the Offspring. :D

You dont see the Ramones doing 4 new songs in 2005, unlike the Offspring
"Can't Repeat" "Mission From God" "Next To You" and "unknown police cover"

Camilamazed
05-27-2005, 08:46 AM

UNKNOWN ...... If you're talking about the band you're totally wrong... The Police is not unknown.I mean, this is to you teens who listen just to punk rock and emo.... :rolleyes:

You guys should try 80's and Classic rock..... :cool:

Russel
05-27-2005, 08:48 AM
Technically, they're pop punkrock.
There's no such thing as "pop punk-rock"

Mannen som blev en gris
05-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Joey Ramone is one of the best singers ever....

Next To You is the Police cover (I think).....

pretty_fly_white_guy858
05-27-2005, 11:09 AM

The Ramones cant do 4 new songs in 2005 stupid. Theres only one left. And technically theyre doing 3 new songs because the police cover wont be a new song because it was pre-written by the police. So therefore that makes it 3 new songs.

Mannen som blev en gris
05-27-2005, 11:10 AM
^Misson From God is really old, in fact.

0r4ng3
05-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Unless they release the new album later this year, "Can't Repeat" is the only new Offspring song of 2005. "Mission from God" was written during the Ignition days, and "Next to You" is a cover.

Come out and smash'em up!
05-27-2005, 02:08 PM
i'm aswell sick of thinking whats punk and whats pop this is my clearence:

there are pop songs pop/rock songs and punk songs, this is the way how i put them.

s/t: all punk, expect jltw is a bit more pop/rock
ingition: all punk expect maby we are on and kick him when he's down are more pop/rock

smash:all punk expect, what happend to you is pop/rock

ioh: all punk,expect pick it up is pop and down the line and i choose pop/rock

americana:all pop/rock except,have u ever,feelings,no brakes,americana,teotl and tkaa are punk and wdygj is pop

Co1:all pop/rock except vultures,co1,come out swinging,million miles away.living in chaos,dammit i changed again

splinter: all punk except: cgmhay,hit that,spare me details are pop rocka and the worst hangover and when ur in prison are pop

Russel
05-28-2005, 12:48 AM
I mostly agree with you. However, Don't pick it up and What happened to you are ska songs, not pop. And I think almost the same about the rest of the songs.

Gutterboy
05-28-2005, 01:11 AM
i hate people that call the offspring sell outs and that they are not punk anymore. and pop-punk is a terrible catagory for the offspring. "simple plan" is a fucking pop-punk band, and the fucking suck.the offspring should be in their own catagory. the have a differnt sound than most bands out there. some songs are fast and catchy and have a punk sound, then others like spare me the details are slower with acoustic. they like to exapnd their horizons with their albums, so you really cant catagorize them.

but if i had to pick a catagory, id go with punk. they are certainly not pop punk!

and if you wanna sell out look at jewel. use to be a hippie bu is now a sex symbol.

Russel
05-28-2005, 01:24 AM
Once again, please, do not use this phrase - 'pop punk', say 'pop' instead

Dexter_italy
05-28-2005, 02:00 AM
i'm aswell sick of thinking whats punk and whats pop this is my clearence:

there are pop songs pop/rock songs and punk songs, this is the way how i put them.

s/t: all punk, expect jltw is a bit more pop/rock
ingition: all punk expect maby we are on and kick him when he's down are more pop/rock

smash:all punk expect, what happend to you is pop/rock

ioh: all punk,expect pick it up is pop and down the line and i choose pop/rock

americana:all pop/rock except,have u ever,feelings,no brakes,americana,teotl and tkaa are punk and wdygj is pop

Co1:all pop/rock except vultures,co1,come out swinging,million miles away.living in chaos,dammit i changed again

splinter: all punk except: cgmhay,hit that,spare me details are pop rocka and the worst hangover and when ur in prison are pop

I don't agree with you at all......... I don't know what other music you listen to but it seem that you can't recognize a genre you can't describe all like pop or pop/rock or punk, offspring music is way bigger
________
Michigan medical marijuana dispensaries (http://michigan.dispensaries.org/)

punk_riOt
05-28-2005, 04:10 AM
This kinda topic is always controversial. Offspring make their own INDIVIDUAL music, they do NOT belong themselves to one category, and i love it that way.

Hypodermic_89
05-28-2005, 05:10 AM

They call themselves a punkband and i think that hey know what punk is a little bit better than you do

Russel
05-28-2005, 05:15 AM
They call themselves a punkband and i think that hey know what punk is a little bit better than you do
Where did you get that info from?!? Ever since they released Americana they've been always denying that they're a punk band. And judging from what you've written I reckon that you've never heard a punk rock band. Cheers

0r4ng3
05-28-2005, 06:11 AM
They are punk, with some pop-punk sounding songs. Every punk band's got 'em.

Russel
05-28-2005, 06:21 AM
with some pop-punk sounding songs. Every punk band's got 'em.
Have you ever heard a punk band. If you'd call The Offspring, Greenday or any other band like this PUNK in my country, people would laugh at you.

0r4ng3
05-28-2005, 06:23 AM
Have you ever heard a punk band. If you'd call The Offspring, Greenday or any other band like this PUNK in my country, people would laugh at you.
Well, maybe punk in your country is different from punk in mine.

btw, Green Day is not punk, but the Offspring is.

Jimbob2005
05-28-2005, 06:26 AM
The Offspring's older stuff is punk, like Green Day's older stuff. Offspring were punk up to IOTH, Americana after that was like pop. Greenday were punk up to Nimrod, and shit after that was like pop. Personally, I find the Offspring's older stuff a bit more punkier than Greenday's older stuff.

0r4ng3
05-28-2005, 06:29 AM
To add to my previous point, Bad Religion is a punk band, and they have songs like "I Love My Computer", "Infected", and "Broken".

Russel
05-28-2005, 06:35 AM
0r4ng3, I take your point, but punk is not just music, it's also a way of life, considering that, you'd never call any band that's signed a punk band.
MUSIC = BETRAYAL

bouncingcoles
05-28-2005, 12:20 PM

They are one of the first punk bands ever and probobly the most influencial punkrock band ever....just because you dont like them doesnt mean they suck. you think they suck but no one really gives a shit about your opinion. if you dont like them, then whatever. YOU SHOULD STILL RESPECT THEM FOR THEY ACCOMPLISHED!

scotishabbit
05-28-2005, 02:56 PM
punk classic died in the 94's Offspring was a classic punk band till 94 so then the offspring are a punk grunge band, cuz now a days no punk can be called just punk, offspring is grunge, or punk rock, not just punk

scotishabbit
05-28-2005, 07:26 PM
so i think this thread is going out of my hands xD

RobinoZombie
05-29-2005, 01:35 AM
well yeah, sorta, but green day had "only" sold around 23milj recs, BEFORE american idiot, and its upto like 7-8milj. right now, but then the offspring hasnt released any kinda Greatest hits, or bside collection as Green day has