PDA

View Full Version : You Fat Fucks!

UgLy_eLf
11-07-2004, 10:48 AM
AMERICA! STOP EATING!!!

Feds: Obesity raising airline fuel costs
ATLANTA (AP) Heavy suitcases aren't the only things weighing down airplanes and requiring them to burn more fuel, pushing up the cost of flights. A new government study reveals that airlines increasingly have to worry more about the weight of their passengers.
America's growing waistlines are hurting the bottom lines of airline companies as the extra pounds on passengers are causing a drag on planes. Heavier fliers have created heftier fuel costs, according to the government study.

Through the 1990s, the average weight of Americans increased by 10 pounds, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The extra weight caused airlines to spend $275 million to burn 350 million more gallons of fuel in 2000 just to carry the additional weight of Americans, the federal agency estimated in a recent issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.

"The obesity epidemic has unexpected consequences beyond direct health effects," said Dr. Deron Burton of the CDC. "Our goal was to highlight one area that had not been looked at before."

The extra fuel burned also had an environmental impact, as an estimated 3.8 million extra tons of carbon dioxide were released into the air, according to the study.

The agency said its calculations are rough estimates, issued to highlight previously undocumented consequences of the ongoing obesity epidemic.

The estimates were calculated by determining how much fuel the 10 extra pounds of weight per passenger represented in Department of Transportation airline statistics, Burton said.

Obesity is a life-or-death struggle in the United States, the underlying cause of 400,000 deaths in 2000, a 33% jump from 1990. If current trends persist, it will become the nation's No. 1 cause of preventable death, the CDC said earlier this year.

More than half 56% of U.S. adults were overweight or obese in the early 1990s, according to a CDC survey. That rose to 65% in a similar survey done from 1999 to 2002.

Although the Air Transport Association of America has not yet validated the CDC data, spokesman Jack Evans said the health agency's appraisal "does not sound out of the realm of reality."

With most airlines reporting losses blamed partly on record-high fuel costs, everything on an airplane is now a weighty issue. Airlines are doing everything they can to lighten the load on all aircraft, from wide-body jets to turboprops.

Bulky magazines have gone out the door. Metal forks and spoons have been replaced with plastic. Large carry-ons are being scrutinized and even heavy materials that used to make up airplane seats are being replaced with plastic and other lightweight materials.

"We're dealing in a world of small numbers even though it has a very incremental impact" to reduce a 60- to 120-ton aircraft's weight by bumping off a few magazines, Evans said. "When you consider airlines are flying millions of miles, it adds up over time."

Although passenger bulk has been an issue in the past Dallas-based Southwest Airlines requires large people to buy a second seat for passenger safety and comfort Evans says it's not likely airlines will scrutinize how much passengers weigh in the future. Instead, they are trying to do a better job of estimating passenger weight in figuring out how much fuel they need for a flight.

Seattle-based Alaska Airlines now calculates the weight of children on flights, instead of using adult-weight formulas for all passengers, Evans said.

"Just like we don't control the costs of our fuel, we don't control the weights of our passengers," he said. "Passengers gain weight, but airlines are the ones that go on a diet. It's part of the conundrum we face right now."

wheelchairman
11-07-2004, 10:58 AM
Drop this jingoism. There are Countries in Europe fatter than states in America.

Not Ozymandias
11-07-2004, 11:11 AM
View Post Today, 12:48 PM
Remove user from ignore listUgLy_eLf
This message is hidden because UgLy_eLf is on your ignore list.

Dantai
11-07-2004, 11:19 AM
i hate when ppl generalize but hey its true lol

UgLy_eLf
11-07-2004, 11:23 AM
Personally I think its pretty pathetic, we're weighing down planes? Wow... :eek:

Me on an ignore list? Psh like I havent experienced that already :D

ihatechrissneed
11-07-2004, 01:41 PM
AMERICA! STOP EATING!!!
"Stop breathing" woul be more effective

wheelchairman
11-07-2004, 01:42 PM
would. You useless spammer. It's would.

Nina
11-07-2004, 01:53 PM
while in germany, we receive a tiny little ball of
lemon flavoured ice-cream, americans order extra
whipped cream, extra chocolate pieces and extra
vanilla powder on their HUGE big-ass american
style "chocolate chip" ice-cream bowling ball.
i like it. but thats because i've never had it before.

.... i'm useless.

wheelchairman
11-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Germans drink beer and eat Sausage a whole lot. Why aren't they fat?

Nina
11-07-2004, 01:58 PM
they are. just not as many as in america, as the
US has a LOT more fatty food than germans.
sausages and beer, my ass. i cant be bothered
counting on all the stuff america has to offer.

wheelchairman
11-07-2004, 02:00 PM
That's hardly a fair comparison. There are several fatty foods in Germany. I've been to both McDonald's and Burger King in Germany, they have KFC as well as others.

And as I mentioned before, there are states that aren't as fat as some countries in Europe. This isn't a fair comparison, it should be much more regional.

Nina
11-07-2004, 02:05 PM
most american food is fatty.

wheelchairman
11-07-2004, 02:08 PM
But that's not even true.

There is sure as hell a lot of fruit in America. And vegetables too. Not to mention all those crazy-ass dieting fads. And Cajun food (I believe that is very natural, although I could be wrong.)

Sure there is a lot of fat food, but there is also a lot in Germany, or Japan, or Mexico.

So why are some *parts* of America fat? Culture perhaps, tradition, poverty level. I don't know. Probably for the same reason that parts of Europe are getting fatter too. And if Germany is like Denmark (which it may not be), I can tell you that in Denmark we are concerned about the rising amount of obesity here. And it's getting more with each year.

greencows12
11-07-2004, 02:09 PM
Maybe the people that complain when they're fat from eating too much mcdonald's should stop blaming mc.donald's and go to fat camp. I'm fat, but I don't weigh more than an airplane and I don't eat greasy food everyday. maybe it's time for these people to learn how to cook.:D by the way.....chocolate diets don't work. Get a hobby, you lazy grease eating chocolate dieting fat fucks. Good food isn't everything!........although to eating disorders, I make an exception. Otherwise, if you're fat and not happy the way you are, stop bitching.

Nina
11-07-2004, 02:14 PM
american food does not equal "everything a human being
can eat". when somebody talks about american food, he
is likely talking about the MEALS, about what they eat as
a whole, and what they use to cook a meal.
there is no need in telling me that vegetables exist in
america, unless you really think anybody could be stupid
enough to not know that.

wheelchairman
11-07-2004, 02:19 PM
My point about the vegetables was that they do eat them. And regularly. It's a business in America to grow vegetables. I could've made that clearer, sorry.

greencows12
11-07-2004, 02:28 PM
they are. just not as many as in america, as the
US has a LOT more fatty food than germans.
sausages and beer, my ass. i cant be bothered
counting on all the stuff america has to offer.Triple big macs.....banned from the usa because of fat people (A triple big mac is three greasy beef patties, thousand island sauce (Their secret ingerdient), a shit load of mayo, GREASY pickles, and four hamburger buns. One plain big mac with one beef patty contains a minimum of 33 grams of fat....This sandwich never looked appealing to me and is still sold in Canada.

Other foods in the usa:
triple chocolate chocolate chunk triple scoop sugar coated ice cream with whipped cream on a sugar cone.

chocolate strawberries with powdered sugar

White grape juice....with 33% sugar.

chocolate covered pretzels....gross!

One person serving fruit smoothie with whipped cream on top....takes 1 cup of sugar to make

When you go to a local resteraunt and order fries and eggs for one person, you get a plate full of fries and eggs that can feed about 4 people.

ihatechrissneed
11-08-2004, 06:14 AM
Germans drink beer and eat Sausage a whole lot. Why aren't they fat?
And Germans are the only ones that drink beer :rolleyes:

killboypwrheadjx
11-08-2004, 02:57 PM
shut up! im very insecure about this! no but really....im not fat but i am an american. it makes me so pissed off to see how many people there are here that are overweight. its rediculous.

UgLy_eLf
11-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Well, Wheelchairman, would you say it's fair to say that it's more CONVENIENT to get fatty foods in the U.S.? I mean in the metro area, where I live, every McDonalds is a few miles down the road from the last, same with Burger King, KFC, etc. When it comes to health stores however, probably 1 in every city, as well as farmers markets.

>_< and fatty foods are so damn scrumptious, celery stick? FUCK THAT, GLOB O MAYO ON MY CHICKEN SAMMICH PLEASE...

wheelchairman
11-08-2004, 03:32 PM
Near my high school, there are two McDonald's across the street from each other. There are two burger kings situated in the same way, and one KFC. And this is my *danish* high school.

In Tiannemen square you can eat at McDonald's under the gaze of Chairman Mao (actually not at that angle but you get my drift.)

So no I don't think so.

HornyPope
11-08-2004, 03:43 PM
There's much more fat in American cuisine than elsewhere. It's not even comparable. If anyone likes it... hey, be my guest. Eat whatever shit you want. But stastistic wise, the fat levels are alarmingly higher.

wheelchairman
11-08-2004, 03:49 PM
And as I stated in the very beginning of this thread. If you take it geographically, state by state, you will find states that aren't as fat as some countries in Europe.

Mota Boy
11-08-2004, 03:51 PM
An interesting theory claims high fructose corn syrup (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A8003-2003Mar10?language=printer) is the culprit.

You know, along with not getting your fat ass down to the gym.

HornyPope
11-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Who gives a shit about individual state? The conversation was about the entire country as a whole.

wheelchairman
11-08-2004, 04:09 PM
And I said it was ridiculous to try and pin such a large and diverse country together. When a far fairer comparison would be state to state, country to country.

HornyPope
11-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Well if you want a "fair comparision" then let's start by asking ourselves "Who gives a fuck whether Americans are fat or not" -- unless you're gonna date them, then obviously I like my girls slim and athletic. Duh. Otherwise it's useless to throw numbers and statistics when they mean absolutely shit.

ihatechrissneed
11-12-2004, 10:08 AM
Theres no mcdonalds or burger king etc in my town and i want to keep it that way.