PDA

View Full Version : Dexter Best Voice in the business?

Hyper nova
05-30-2005, 07:09 PM
I think Dexter has to have one of the best voices in Music Today. I just think his range is so good. You just have to listen to Gone Away to realise this. Plus he can put so much emotion into it. He can even Shout Lyrics properly in tune so that his shouted lyrics actually sound more like singing.

Any one else agrees?

Homer
05-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Oh, I agree alright. Unlike so many singers, Dexter actually sings instead of just screaming. He can also make you feel what he's trying to put across in The Offspring's songs.

Also, I think Greg Graffin's a pretty good punk rock singer.

Sinister
05-30-2005, 07:12 PM
he sure has a great voice damn lot better than mine anyway but my range is increasing every day so I think I still have a chance to catch up with his. and yeah agressive in-tune is great. myself I can keep the same note while screaming but I have far less control than he has. and I can't scream too high.

Dexter_Kyle
05-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Yes, but also, Chris Cornell from Audioslave's got an amazing voice. One of the bests in this industry too.

Dexter_Kyle
05-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Also, I think Greg Graffin's a pretty good punk rock singer.

Indeed, he sings great too :D .

Sinister
05-30-2005, 07:19 PM
he's greatest at the moment but I wish I'll become better than he is. actually my voice doesnt sound at all like his. more like the singer in SOAD (cant remember the name :( )...

UCF_Lightning
05-30-2005, 07:47 PM
he does a pretty good job but LJ from the boys of Sevendust has the best voice in the business right now as far as I can tell.

Unnatural Disaster
05-30-2005, 08:31 PM
He's pretty good, but not the best

original_prankster
05-30-2005, 08:34 PM
He is a good singer, but as the person above states he's not the best either.

leo3375
05-30-2005, 08:37 PM
For someone with no formal training and a somewhat limited vocal range, Dexter is a very good singer. He knows his range and his limits and doesn't really try to go beyond those limits. However, compared to other singers, especially those with some form of vocal training, his voice is seriously lacking something.

enchiladitos
05-30-2005, 09:09 PM
though he's not the best singer, serj tankian from system of a down has the most versatile voice. some of the stuff he does is crazy.

aeh20s
05-30-2005, 11:01 PM
i've never thought that Dexter had a terribly good singing voice. do i try to sing like him when sing along with Offspring songs? yes. its a very original voice. you can't listen to an offspring song and mistake it for anyone elses. i too applaud the fact that Dexter sings and doesn't just scream. Its not a bad voice, its not a great voice. Its just Dexter Holland.

Drummerguy123
05-30-2005, 11:06 PM
though he's not the best singer, serj tankian from system of a down has the most versatile voice. some of the stuff he does is crazy.

He is good, but I think one of the most versatile singer is the guy from Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver. He gets so many different tones and sounds.

aeh20s
05-30-2005, 11:10 PM
He is good, but I think one of the most versatile singer is the guy from Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver. He gets so many different tones and sounds.

Scott Weiland is an amazing singer.

Italia311
05-30-2005, 11:15 PM
Are we talking studio or live? I've seen quite a few bands live and Dexter can really pull it off. Remember now, Dexter plays guitar and sings. He also plays alot of lead parts. There are alot of people out there that can't do that. Serj Tankian just sings, and from what I've seen, he has a hard time reproducing his vocals live, same with Scott Wieland from STP or Velvet. However, if there is one singer out there that I've seen live thats better than Dexter - it's Daniel Johns (spelling?) from Silverchair. 3 Piece band, no back up vocals, no second guitar. He's Amazing live. Great Voice. Epsecially on the newer tracks.

Drummerguy123
05-30-2005, 11:37 PM
Serj Tankian just sings, and from what I've seen, he has a hard time reproducing his vocals live.

That's not true. I saw a live concert from SOAD on MTV and he played guitar and keyboards

dirty_magic
05-31-2005, 01:33 AM
hes a legend

neocon58
05-31-2005, 01:52 AM
great voice. live compared to studio, 7.5/10. his voice does stray from tune sometimes, mainly in songs where he's holding high notes, eg TKAA, All I want. also cant get my head around you.

meaning_of_life
05-31-2005, 02:47 AM
hes not very good. hes voice is definately very cool, but technically hes a pretty bad singer, and hes actually pretty bad live, he sounded like hed been sucking helium when i saw them last year.

notoriousdoc
05-31-2005, 02:53 AM
he's greatest at the moment but I wish I'll become better than he is. actually my voice doesnt sound at all like his. more like the singer in SOAD (cant remember the name :( )...

Robert Plant used to have an amazing voice

el cheelo
05-31-2005, 03:17 AM
Dexter has a hell of a lot of variation, i think his performance in me and my old lady is one of his best, as well as gone away where you can really feel his sorrow by the tone he uses.

He is not the best, but defintly my favorutie vocalist!

punk_riOt
05-31-2005, 03:56 AM
He's pretty good, don't get me wrong i love dexter but there's better singers out there, not taking anything away from him though.

killer_queen
05-31-2005, 04:28 AM
i love dexter's voice, and his voice is the best for punk. but not the best in music today. also to be honest his voice doesn't sound well in live performances. my favourite is kurt cobain.

Mannen som blev en gris
05-31-2005, 07:38 AM
I don't like it that much. He sounds better on the old punkier albums than he does now.

Forza
05-31-2005, 07:48 AM
His voice just fits the songs very well, but it isn't the best voice I've ever heard.

I like the voice of the singer of Incubus, whatever he's called.

Bruce Dickinson has the best voice though...

Venezuelan_Nightmare
05-31-2005, 07:51 AM
Yes, but also, Chris Cornell from Audioslave's got an amazing voice. One of the bests in this industry too.
i agreed... indeed

Piedude
05-31-2005, 08:24 AM
Hes great, but on DUI theres a couple lines and their the only vocals of his i dont like. I cant listen to those lines loud with headphones, i think he just goes to high maybe, i dunno...

As for Cornell, Check out Jarle Beunhoff (Probably incorrect spelling) from SPAN for a similar voice, but, well..better.

Omni
05-31-2005, 09:03 AM
You noticed that too, Piedude? I mean, the sound isn't unpleasant, like bad singing, it's just ear-piercing. Like you stepped on the tail of an animal or something. Loud.

Drummerguy123
05-31-2005, 10:47 AM
I also noticed that Dexter's voice in some of the S/T stuff isn't that great either, but he is still one of my favorites.

Gayman
05-31-2005, 03:06 PM
I think he has learned to sing from the older records....just my opinion. I just hope he doesn't loose his voice because all of the smoking and all.. :( I hope he would stop smoking!!! (or has he already?Enlighten me!)

nameless
05-31-2005, 06:27 PM
hes ok, good but not great! it works for the stuff they play!

Drummerguy123
05-31-2005, 09:53 PM
^ That's exactly what I was thinking.

neocon58
06-01-2005, 04:05 AM
he sounded like hed been sucking helium when i saw them last year.

thats because he used some kind of pitch correction during the tour. I am sure of it.

ashtray_girl_1
06-01-2005, 06:08 AM
dexter's voice is great, it so damn special! I know this sounds diturbing, but I often hear it in my dream, wierd huh?

it sounds incredible on dirty magic...gives you thrills

Caz
06-01-2005, 06:18 AM
Ladies, you've got it all wrong - Dexter, great range, suits the offspring perfectly, yet voice, and overall singing ability? not so great. The worlds best rock singer is Bernard Fanning of Brisbane (Australia) band Powderfinger. Check them out, he is absolutely amazing live AND recorded:
www.powderfinger.net

neocon58
06-02-2005, 01:00 AM
Ladies, you've got it all wrong - Dexter, great range, suits the offspring perfectly, yet voice, and overall singing ability? not so great. The worlds best rock singer is Bernard Fanning of Brisbane (Australia) band Powderfinger. Check them out, he is absolutely amazing live AND recorded:
www.powderfinger.net

I like powderfinger, but not a fan of his voice.

Caz
06-02-2005, 01:46 AM
I like powderfinger, but not a fan of his voice.

Oh cool, you're into powderfinger- What is it about Berns singing that you dislike?

Dexter_Holland
06-02-2005, 02:34 AM
i think he's the best ever... just because i don't know bands with a better singer. maybe there are better but i just don't know about it