PDA

View Full Version : How to beat the SAT test

Skate Rat 19
05-31-2005, 05:43 PM
I dont know if this will work but just hear me out.

Ok so first off, the SATs are graded with a scantron machine(at least some are) and if they are where you are then this should work. so anyway, fill in ALL the spaces for each question, then hand in your test when a lot of people do so the teacher only gets a glance at most and doesn't get suspicious. then when she puts in a pile they give it to the scantron machine. Now I'm pretty sure that when the machine looks it only checks to see if the correct space is filled in, and if they're all filled in you cant go wrong. Am I right or am I right?

Endymion
05-31-2005, 05:46 PM
you're wrong.

Jebus
05-31-2005, 07:49 PM

Ok so first off, the SATs are graded with a scantron machine(at least some are) and if they are where you are then this should work. so anyway, fill in ALL the spaces for each question, then hand in your test when a lot of people do so the teacher only gets a glance at most and doesn't get suspicious. then when she puts in a pile they give it to the scantron machine. Now I'm pretty sure that when the machine looks it only checks to see if the correct space is filled in, and if they're all filled in you cant go wrong. Am I right or am I right?
First off all, why are you putting this in the politics forum? Second of all, your reasoning fails.

JohnnyNemesis
05-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Your test would be voided immediately. The person collecting your test doesn't just put them through the machine, they at least glance at them.

Besides, when you answer more than one, the Scantron reads it as WRONG.

This is so obviously stupid that I'm going to cry for your parents in a few minutes, you worthless bag of feces.

coke_a_holic
05-31-2005, 07:57 PM
worthless bag of feces.
That is one of my new favorite insults/phrases.

RXP
06-01-2005, 03:31 AM
It's amazing that you have multipleguess tests in the US. What a bunch of bull shit.

Mentally_Challenged
06-01-2005, 03:41 AM

Or prehaps not. Over here we do it the slow and sensible way with tests...HAND MARKING, where we have to wait 3 months to get our results back :mad:

neocon58
06-01-2005, 05:01 AM
This is so obviously stupid that I'm going to cry for your parents in a few minutes, you worthless bag of feces.

not to be a picky cunt, but isn't it 'faeces'?

Unnatural Disaster
06-01-2005, 08:34 AM
not to be a picky cunt, but isn't it 'faeces'?

That's not how it's spelled in the US. I don't know if that's how it's spelled in the UK/Australia though...

Anyway... if you fill in all of the blanks, the scantron reads it as marked ABCDE instead of just whatever the answer is. So if you were to do that you would get every question wrong.

Little_Miss_1565
06-01-2005, 04:31 PM
It's amazing that you have multipleguess tests in the US. What a bunch of bull shit.

Yeah, the SAT is rather a crock. But since two or three of our states equal if not surpass the total population of the UK, I suppose something has to give when everyone has to take a standardized test.

Noodles is gay
06-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Skate Rat 19: why don't you try it and tell us?

Or prehaps not. Over here we do it the slow and sensible way with tests...HAND MARKING, where we have to wait 3 months to get our results back :mad:

yeah, but some subjects must be marked by people, such as that special one and English literature, because there are so many different ways of interpreting the subject matter and also they’re not just testing whether an answer is right or wrong they are *supposed* to be looking at grammar and how a person has constructed an argument etc, which cannot be done by a machine (albeit that English GCSE does not require good spelling, punctuation and grammar to pass! :mad: ). Oh, and it's 2 months.

I hate multiple choice questions - they allow lucky, but dumb, people to pass.

RXP
06-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Yeah, the SAT is rather a crock. But since two or three of our states equal if not surpass the total population of the UK, I suppose something has to give when everyone has to take a standardized test.

What they don't have a higher number of teachers to? lame argument.

JohnnyNemesis
06-01-2005, 05:09 PM

Lucky people can pass those tests, but they usually don't. It's possible to pass on luck, but when you're dealing with the amount of questions the SAT exam throws at you, those chances are worse than slim.

I'm a writer though, so I naturally despise testing in general.

Endymion
06-01-2005, 05:26 PM
plus the SAT now includes an essay writing section.

now when it comes to the sort of things i do (physics, math, and compsci mostly) i like the sort of test where they give you one big problem to work out. it's a lot like having to write a paper, actually.

Jebus
06-01-2005, 05:38 PM
If you get a question wrong on the SAT, they take off an 1/4, 1/3 of a point so guessing sometimes isn't the wisest thing to do. Actaully it might be a whole point. I can't remember.

Jebus
06-01-2005, 05:40 PM
I was sort of disapointed when I heard that but I usually own at writting essays. They atleast took off the analogies for this year in exchange.

Noodles is gay
06-01-2005, 05:42 PM

now when it comes to the sort of things i do (physics, math, and compsci mostly) i like the sort of test where they give you one big problem to work out. it's a lot like having to write a paper, actually.

ah; I like tests where you either

1) have to write a load on one subject and there is no chance that you'll pass unless you've actually learnt the stuff - also you score like a load extra for throwing in stuff that you really don't know to know but is interesting nonetheless (classics)

or 2) you just put numbers into a formula and write the answer; but if you don't know the formulae you don't get anything (physics).

JohnnyNemesis
06-01-2005, 05:49 PM
also you score like a load extra for throwing in stuff that you really don't know to know but is interesting nonetheless (classics)

In my opinion, that's just as unfair as those who are dumb yet lucky passing. If you don't have to know something, you shouldn't get an advantage! The same way people who are dumb yet lucky shouldn't get an advantage, people who are smart but out of the scope of the lesson shouldn't get an advantage!

Now, if what you meant was just adding extra helpful statistics in a History essay or something like that, then I agree with you.

Endymion
06-01-2005, 05:54 PM
physics has very little to do with equations. maybe high school physics is plug 'n' chug but real physics is not.

what is real physics? i can't exactly say. i can feel it. it's about looking at a system and attempting to understand it.

i mean, someone has to come up with those equations, right? that's real physics. not using them (that's what an engineer does), but discovering them.

JohnnyNemesis
06-01-2005, 05:55 PM
It turns me on when you get dogmatic about these things, Endy ;)

Noodles is gay
06-01-2005, 06:01 PM
I knew you'd have to say something about that Endy :p

Yeah; AS level physics is basically just putting the numbers into the equations, I know it gets harder later - but I'm content with just doing this for now. :D

Endymion
06-01-2005, 06:19 PM
;p and don't forget that half of physics (experimental) is trying to show that those equations are wrong.

and yeah, high school physics is so easy... to solve any problem all you do is write down what you have, draw a picture (to see any relations that their might be--geometry), and then find equations that involve what you have and what you need. done.

luckily, that ends quickly. that and i don't do 'traditional' physics stuff. i'd even hesitate to call what i currently do physics. it's physics-like though.

Betty
06-01-2005, 06:28 PM
I don't think MC tests are necessarily easy, or allow lucky people to pass. I think it's harder to pass by luck cause you can't get part marks, etc. Some of the questions are very elaborate and force you to work out the whole question regardless, without getting any marks for your reasoning. And the ones like:

(a) ____
(b) ____
(c) ____
(d) all of the above
(e) a and c

can be really hard. Also, the way you study is different.

It all comes down to the test in question.

And MC tests are fairly necessary when tons have to be graded.

0r4ng3
06-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Even with the scantron, we have to wait 3 months (or even more) to get results.

Little_Miss_1565
06-01-2005, 09:52 PM
What they don't have a higher number of teachers to? lame argument.

While you're at it, why don't you solve the problem of underfunded and understaffed inner city schools? Lame counterargument.

physics has very little to do with equations. maybe high school physics is plug 'n' chug but real physics is not.

what is real physics? i can't exactly say. i can feel it. it's about looking at a system and attempting to understand it.

i mean, someone has to come up with those equations, right? that's real physics. not using them (that's what an engineer does), but discovering them.

Ooh, Endy...you want to come over here and plot the trajectory of my curves?

Endymion
06-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Ooh, Endy...you want to come over here and plot the trajectory of my curves?

honey, i wish i was your derivative so that i'd be tangent to all your curves.

Mota Boy
06-01-2005, 10:07 PM
This kid at my high school had a method of only looking at the answers to the SAT and deriving the question from them. He ended up with a 1580. He never did reveal his secret.

Personally, I just like to think that he was bullshitting the kids in our grade, but you never know - he was both a brilliant and a lazy kid.

And whomever started this thread - it's a brilliant idea you came up with. Try it when you take the SAT, I guarantee that the results will accurately reflect your intelligence.

SkunkIt
06-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Your test would be voided immediately. The person collecting your test doesn't just put them through the machine, they at least glance at them.

Besides, when you answer more than one, the Scantron reads it as WRONG.

This is so obviously stupid that I'm going to cry for your parents in a few minutes, you worthless bag of feces.Exactly my thought.

JohnnyNemesis
06-01-2005, 11:21 PM
This kid at my high school had a method of only looking at the answers to the SAT and deriving the question from them. He ended up with a 1580. He never did reveal his secret.

I always get a kick out of the fact that I'm so much brighter than people who scored at least 400 points higher than me on some shitty test AND I've been accepted to a better school than most of those people.

Maybe I'm sounding mean-spirited or cocky here, but I just think it's ridiculous that people put so much stock in this exam. I see why people do it though, but it's unnerving everytime I realize that, with the exception of my girlfriend and her twin sister (who scored 1500 and 1560, respectively), and some other notable exceptions, the scores people earn are always related to everything and anything BUT academic excellence.

Jesus
06-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Are you people saying that in the US not only are most test (finals whatever) almost completely multiple choice, but you also don't get points subtracted when you answer wrong? What the fuck, pussies, what stops you from guessing then?

Here it's usually (when we have some multiple choice sections, like almost never) +1 for a correct answer, 0 for leaving the question, -1 for a wrong answer. So if you have like 10 questions, you answer 5 correctly, 4 wrong and leave 1 open, your result is a low 1/10 (you can't go below 0 though).
I had one in high school that was +0.5 for a correct answer, 0 for leaving it open and - 2 for a wrong one.

Jebus
06-24-2005, 09:19 AM
Are you people saying that in the US not only are most test (finals whatever) almost completely multiple choice, but you also don't get points subtracted when you answer wrong? What the fuck, pussies, what stops you from guessing then?

Here it's usually (when we have some multiple choice sections, like almost never) +1 for a correct answer, 0 for leaving the question, -1 for a wrong answer. So if you have like 10 questions, you answer 5 correctly, 4 wrong and leave 1 open, your result is a low 1/10 (you can't go below 0 though).
I had one in high school that was +0.5 for a correct answer, 0 for leaving it open and - 2 for a wrong one.
Read post #15

Jesus
06-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Allright, so next time I'd better read the topic completely before answering, that way I might realize that the topic is a month old and that my question was already answered... :o

JohnnyNemesis
06-24-2005, 10:37 AM
If I was dumb I might actually try that when/if I take the SAT.

when/if? Dude, just take it. I didn't take it because I dropped out of high school and when I eventually had to take the SAT to transfer into a new school, it was a total bitch. If you're a high school student, you'll be in that SAT mindset and do much better on the tets, trust me. Just do it, even if you're not planning on going to college yet.

Mikey Matt
06-24-2005, 11:02 AM

I agree with this comment, but check this out for a multiple choice question;

Which ONE of the following statements in INCORRECT?

a) It is impossible to produce a tetanus in cardiac muscle
b) It is impossible to produce a tetanus in skeletal muscle
c) In cardiac muscle, force of contraction increases with rate if nerve stimulation
d) In Skeletal muscle, force of contraction increases with the rate of nerve stimulation
e) In cardiac and skeletal muscle, contraction is controlled though tropnin and tropomyosin

You either have to KNOW it bang on, or be a really lucky git to get 1 out of 5, and theres no obvious answer to make an educated guess. I think on this paper there were 50 multiple choices worth 30% of exam - rest was essa. University is tough!!! Managed to pass this exam though

But still yeah, you have a CHANCE of guessing correctly which I dont agree with.

Mikey Matt
06-24-2005, 11:08 AM
I only read about 15 replies...

I have heard that if you take chap stick and smother the side with the little bars, your test cannot read correctly. Thus making it impossible to mark off, giving you a flawless test. Not sure on that though.

I should honestly believe, that there are systems in place which would counteract a papper that cannot be automatically read. Im sure it would be passed onto a human being at least. If a paper in this country is none readable, it recieves a "U" (Un classified or something) which means fail.

Little_Miss_1565
06-24-2005, 03:05 PM
What I hear, and it's probably untrue, is that the machine doesn't read it as unreadable, it misreads it into thinking it is a perfect paper.

That's too easy. There's no way they'd let that happen. Think about it--the SAT is a huge $$$ racket. If it was that easy to fake a 1600, the College Board would be out tons of money on their SAT strategy courses, etc.

SicN Twisted
06-24-2005, 03:13 PM
The scantrons invalidate any question where more then one answer is filled in. That's all their is to it.

Little_Miss_1565
06-24-2005, 07:23 PM
SAT is piss easy - i think

i just took CAE cuz here in Europe that's better than SAT and MUCH harder. CPE is hell. really.

TOEFL - also easy. not as much as sat, but easy.

In sat, the MATH part is like kindergarden stuff. + i heard from some ppl who took it, it's easy to cheat

The SAT isn't too terribly hard. I aced the verbal section, myself. But the Math section is definately not kindergarten stuff, unless that is you start trigonometry at age 7.

Also, it just rather makes you look unintelligent when you bash a test you've never seen let alone taken. And it really isn't that easy to cheat.

FFX-ME
06-24-2005, 07:30 PM
you know someone handles the paper to man and i think they would notice plus i think it scans all squares not one

Duracell
06-24-2005, 10:26 PM
I did a shitty job on the ACT. I guess I'll just take it over.

Panzerfaust92
06-25-2005, 01:28 AM
Ha! I took the SAT in 2003 and got a 1560!

Panzerfaust92
06-25-2005, 01:28 AM
Okay, 1420. But I wanted a 1560.