PDA

View Full Version : NIN vs. MTV

StayInTheHouseCarl
05-31-2005, 05:48 PM
Nine Inch Nails were scheduled to appear at the MTV music awards, but pulled out after MTV said they couldnt use a picture of George W Bush as a backdrop during the performance of their song, "the hand that feeds".
mind you, this isnt a picture that has been altered (ie devil horns, nazi, etc) its just a normal picture. just because using the picture with the content of the song, MTV doesn't want to allow a "political statement". i suppose if it was a pro-bush song, there wouldnt be a problem.

in retort trent reznor stated : "im glad to see that a picture of george bush offends MTV as much as it offends me." NIN:1, MTV: 0

what happened to the MTV that urged young people to become politically aware? hahaha. sponsor money talks.

nieh
05-31-2005, 06:00 PM
MTV doesn't encourage anyone to be politically aware, it only encourages people to vote. Those are two entirely different things.

StayInTheHouseCarl
05-31-2005, 06:01 PM
thats actually what i meant, thanks for the correction.

brothadave79
05-31-2005, 06:03 PM
MTV definitely wouldn't allow a pro-Bush spin on a song. They wouldn't want to upset their fan base of thirteen year-old political activists.

StayInTheHouseCarl
05-31-2005, 06:10 PM
MTV doesn't encourage anyone to be politically aware, it only encourages people to vote. Those are two entirely different things.
that being said, people wont vote if they aren't politically aware. they wont vote if they dont know who to vote for, or why.

brothadave79
05-31-2005, 06:12 PM
that being said, people wont vote if they aren't politically aware. they wont vote if they dont know who to vote for, or why.

Good. If you don't know for what or why you are voting, I don't believe you should vote. Nevertheless, if people want to become polticially aware they should look somewhere other than MTV.

StayInTheHouseCarl
05-31-2005, 06:19 PM
Good. If you don't know for what or why you are voting, I don't believe you should vote. Nevertheless, if people want to become polticially aware they should look somewhere other than MTV.
i whole heartedly agree. kids dont watch MTV for politics, they watch it for the crappy rap and pop videos.

brothadave79
05-31-2005, 06:23 PM
i whole heartedly agree. kids dont watch MTV for politics, they watch it for the crappy rap and pop videos.

Oh definitely. Except MTV rarely even plays videos anymore.

StayInTheHouseCarl
05-31-2005, 06:26 PM
haha yeah with their "quality programming".
i meant the whole politically aware thing in the first part as sarcasm, but its hard to convey it on a board. haha.

killboypwrheadjx
05-31-2005, 06:52 PM
i was pissed off when i found out. but mtv probably just doesnt wanna cause some big controversy. NIN is obviously too smart for mtv anyway...and aren't allowed to say anything more intelligent than "i wanna fuck you like an animal."

NIN RULES!

IdiotOfTheDay
06-01-2005, 09:57 AM
I watch it in the morning with the volume on mute and the radio blasting because I like to laugh at the crappy rap and pop videos....

And about the whole Trent Reznor/President Bush thing, there goes free speech down the drain.

IdiotOfTheDay
06-01-2005, 10:01 AM
i was pissed off when i found out. but mtv probably just doesnt wanna cause some big controversy.
MTV are (is? Not sure...) hypocrites. They won't show a picture of President Bush while someone is performing, yet they show half-naked women and people having sex in videos daily? The majority of today's teens (not including me X.x) who actually watch MTV's awards shows are probably too mindless to understand. They'd probably think it was some sort of technical glitch or something. The rest of us, we'd be rocking out to NIN.

leo3375
06-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Oh, there's a huge thread about this at a NIN board I frequent. It's boiled down to political bitching, ranting, and raving.

Personally, I have to give Trent credit for not wanting to compromise his artistic integrity by giving in to MTV censorship. (Food for thought: MTV wouldn't allow Trent to use a photo of Dubya for a performance but they play "Holiday" by Green Day ad nauseum.) What's even funnier is that the Foo Fighters have stepped in to take NIN's place. Not only is Dave Grohl a good friend of Trent's, but he is also just as anti-Bush as Trent is, maybe even moreso.

Jesus
06-01-2005, 03:20 PM
It would have been nicer if the Foo Fighters would have declined though. So, only one way to make up for it: play rape me.