PDA

View Full Version : Mission From God has a dumb time signature!

endlesst0m
06-02-2005, 07:40 PM
YUCK...as a drummer, i know that mission from god has a really stupid sounding time signature in this one part of the song they do a couple times, its like a part that doesnt have any vocals. it sounds retarded, im surprised the offspring didn't realize how wrong it is, with how long theyve been a band.

p.s. dont try to tell me im wrong about it or it sounds fine, ANY musician will know what im talking about.

Strider
06-02-2005, 07:51 PM
I sign it. You're 100% right.

I'm a guitarist, not a drummer, but I find this song weird too. The Offspring's main feature ever since they started to play has been their catchy melody, their awesome rhythm. But I have just heard Mission From God and I think it's awfully dumb. Weak melody, rhythm-less guitars. Painful to the ears, I dare to say. I hated it. I'd never like to see it played in a show. This song should have been discarded.

Dexter1989
06-02-2005, 07:53 PM
as being a guitarrist for more than 4 years i have to tell you i dont see the time signature....
maybe if you put the minute and second where apparently happens.
i really like the song though, old-school offspring

edit: maybe u mean the part at 2:28. The drum part, it sounds like it totally cuts the song and hits the hi hat at a different tempo, but its not wrong

Strider
06-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Forgot to state...I can't follow the tempo. The time signature is really bad.

Camilamazed
06-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Cammie can't say a word cause she understands nothing about it hehe :D

Strider
06-02-2005, 07:59 PM
But you do like the song. Could you explain why?

Dexter1989
06-02-2005, 07:59 PM
i can follow it perfectly...

i think its really offspring style. i also find it better than most of the songs on splinter. A mixture from s/t ignition and ixnay on the hombre, with some smash on it too

Strider
06-02-2005, 08:00 PM
So do I, but I meant it's hard work. And my ear is good, I tell ye.

And this tempo is horrible. I prefer Race Against Myself and mostly Blackball

Dexter1989
06-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Forgot to state...I can't follow the tempo. The time signature is really bad.

So do I, but I meant it's hard work. And my ear is good, I tell ye.
dud, decide, can u or cant you?

Camilamazed
06-02-2005, 08:01 PM
But you do like the song. Could you explain why?
Me????????

Strider
06-02-2005, 08:03 PM
dud, decide, can u or cant you?
Read above for details, and the second quote explains it. But here ya go: This tempo is terrible, following is easy alright but it's unpleasant to the ears.

Strider
06-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Me????????
you sent it to me...i thought you had enjoyed it.

Dexter1989
06-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Read above for details, and the second quote explains it. But here ya go: This tempo is terrible, following is easy alright but it's unpleasant to the ears.
dud the tempo is ok, what could be terrible with it? unpleasant? no to me, if it is unpleasant to your ears it means u dont like the song, not that it it has a bad time signature..

endlesst0m
06-02-2005, 08:05 PM
its like pretty much the beggining part. they repeat that part later in the song a few times. like at 12 seconds you can hear it pretty clear. they add an extra 16th note to it or something. i know some "original thinker" is gonna be like "fuck you the offspring is too cool to follow "time signatures" and technical music shit" but really...its REALLY never a good thing to have an awkward signature in a song.

Camilamazed
06-02-2005, 08:06 PM
you sent it to me...i thought you had enjoyed it.
I DID enjoy the song......... I was waiting for something like that desperately :D

Dexter1989
06-02-2005, 08:10 PM
its like pretty much the beggining part. they repeat that part later in the song a few times. like at 12 seconds you can hear it pretty clear. they add an extra 16th note to it or something. i know some "original thinker" is gonna be like "fuck you the offspring is too cool to follow "time signatures" and technical music shit" but really...its REALLY never a good thing to have an awkward signature in a song.
i thing i understand what u mean, the notes come in a bit before, like if they were out of tempo. But again, that isnt wrong

endlesst0m
06-02-2005, 08:15 PM
i thing i understand what u mean, the notes come in a bit before, like if they were out of tempo. But again, that isnt wrong

"the notes come in a bit before, like if they were out of tempo" ....doesnt that make it...um, wrong then?

Dexter1989
06-02-2005, 08:19 PM
"the notes come in a bit before, like if they were out of tempo" ....doesnt that make it...um, wrong then?
no, thats a ... damn i dunno the word in english, like a "Strategy". Listen to Denial, revisited. At the end of the song, every not comes in before time. Like, the song is 4/4, you count 1 2 3 4 and every chord is played a lil before 4.
i dont think my explanation was clear, its hard to explain.. just listen to that song n follow the rythm and tempo, ull see what i mean

endlesst0m
06-02-2005, 08:21 PM
i know what you mean...im a drummer, i can read every time signature there is. i still think the offspring designed a part that is rythmically stupid...

Dexter1989
06-02-2005, 08:23 PM
i know what you mean...im a drummer, i can read every time signature there is. i still think the offspring designed a part that is rythmically stupid...
ok i dont agree, but i respect your opinion

Manic subsidal
06-02-2005, 09:03 PM
People are bitching about the song... already?

I like the time signature. It's kind of cool that some of the notes are slightly off. That's kind of difficult to do.

original_prankster
06-02-2005, 09:06 PM
This definately isn't one of their best. I did like it, though.

All I Want is my least favorite Offspring song. The lyrics get on my nerves. :(

Hypodermic_89
06-02-2005, 10:15 PM
YUCK...as a drummer, i know that mission from god has a really stupid sounding time signature in this one part of the song they do a couple times, its like a part that doesnt have any vocals. it sounds retarded, im surprised the offspring didn't realize how wrong it is, with how long theyve been a band.

p.s. dont try to tell me im wrong about it or it sounds fine, ANY musician will know what im talking about.

That song was written in 1992 so.. (if you didn't know that)

Dexter_italy
06-02-2005, 11:14 PM
I can see too as a guitarist that is a bit strange but punk is also that....no rules or not? :) I enjoy a lot the song it has a big energy!! anyway don't worry they won't play it live, it's their song but is released by epitaph we don't even know if they agreed to put it in the punk-o-rama compilation
________
Iolite portable vaporizer (http://iolitevaporizer.net/)

neocon58
06-03-2005, 12:38 AM
That song was written in 1992 so.. (if you didn't know that)

yeah, so they hadnt been a band 15 or so years when that was written.

perhaps thats why they scrapped it from ignition, because it was shit?

Kitten
06-03-2005, 12:46 AM

With how long they have been a band they probably haven't heard this song for quite sometime, given that it was recorded around Ignition time. Epitaph had it somewhere and decided to put it on Punk-O-Rama 10.

Dexter_H
06-03-2005, 12:48 AM
Mission From God is one of the best offspring songs to be released for about 8 years. Just because a song doesn't follow the time signature directly doesn't mean it is bad. It's called accenting the notes (i think............)

Pilau
06-03-2005, 01:29 AM
In relation to people saying the timing is odd or they are musicians and so know how odd this song is, they're talking complete crap.

This song is excellent. Reminds you of that great energy the band used to have. And so what if it has odd timings. No-one can say it sucks just because its not in an accessible time signature like all the other spoon fed rock today. This song is great. They are great players and this reminds you how innovative they were even in the early days.

And I am a musician and have studied at music schools for years and any bedroom hack saying this song sucks because they can't get their heads around playing it need to practice their instrument more.

Russel
06-03-2005, 01:37 AM
And I am a musician and have studied at music schools for years and any bedroom hack saying this song sucks because they can't get their heads around playing it need to practice their instrument more.

The most reasonable opinion in this thread. I totally agree with you. They've just swithced tempos in the song. It's not banned, even in such plain and direct music as punk rock. I think that switch is great. The song beats can't repeat in everything from melodies through drumming up to lyrics.

Pilau
06-03-2005, 01:40 AM
Thank you. Your agreement means more than the barrage of shit that'll be posted by people about to disagree!

offspring777
06-03-2005, 02:26 AM

Buddy ur a fucking idiot. This song is AWESOME. WAAAAY better than anything on Splinter and Conspiracy Of One. I am a musician as well, I play the guitar, and I find nothing wrong with the time signature or tempo or any of that shit. The only thing I do find is an awesome song and I hope that the new record sounds just like this.

dirty_magic
06-03-2005, 03:08 AM
who cares about a "time signature"?! the song rocks and thats all that matters!

HeadAroundU
06-03-2005, 07:20 AM

No way your face has dumb time signature! :D

this song is amazing :cool:

Strider
06-03-2005, 09:11 AM

A challenge for you, t0m. Try and play "Moondance" by Nightwish. It starts with a piano thingy, clearly 4/4. Then comes the drum and then the drum silences. Next you have a flute/piano part nd after a regular cycle the drum returns...and in this part it is impossible to mark the tempo!! But after another cycle it returns to 4/4.

Noodles is gay
06-03-2005, 09:15 AM
yeah, I agree - I knew there was something wrong with this song the moment i first heard it but couldn't put my finger on what it was. Definitely bad time.

Noodles is gay
06-03-2005, 09:18 AM

not liking the timing and being able to play the song are two very different things - I can play the damn song but it just doesn't sound right, I don't like it.

Gabriel
06-03-2005, 09:23 AM
fuck you all!!! song is great!!! same old offspring!!! same energy!!!

Pilau
06-03-2005, 09:26 AM
The drums are fine and in time. I am a drummer and have no problem playing or getting it in time. I'm a drummer and can't find anything wrong with it. Its easy and fun to play. They may have added a slight quirky feel to it, but listen to anything from their first album! Its just a little more imaginative and innovative.

Black_Ball
06-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Disagree. Their first album's tempos are completely easy to follow, unlike Mission From God.

Gabriel
06-03-2005, 09:34 AM
oh! I forgot! same old backgrounds!! same old screaming!!!
if you don't like the song just couse of drum riff... you're all sic

Dexter1989
06-03-2005, 09:45 AM
(...)

i agree with you too

Camilamazed
06-03-2005, 09:52 AM
I do not undertand anything about that but guys do you really think taht is really important?????????????

Timing and signature are not important NOW. What really matters is that they still surprise us with Good songs. You have to admit (Those who are claiming about timing etc....) The song is great !!

Strider
06-03-2005, 10:00 AM
I guess this closes the discussion.

mrconeman
06-03-2005, 10:05 AM
I do not undertand anything about that but guys do you really think taht is really important?????????????

Timing and signature are not important NOW. What really matters is that they still surprise us with Good songs. You have to admit (Those who are claiming about timing etc....) The song is great !!

Actualy time signatures are 100% important because if there was no time signature you would have to be an extreme genius to play along with other musicians.

The song has a strange time sig yeah, but I think it works, I'll admit at the start of the song I was like.."wah??"...but once I got into it I realy like it, and playing along is simple too

EDIT: I am a guitarist, not just some guy rambling heh

StayInTheHouseCarl
06-03-2005, 10:11 AM
im suprised the "musicians" on this thread arent stoked about the abnormal time signature. don't you get tired of hearing 4/4 all the time? isn't great to hear something different?
the foo fighters' "times like these" is in 7/4. are you going to complain about that too?

Camilamazed
06-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Actualy time signatures are 100% important because if there was no time signature you would have to be an extreme genius to play along with other musicians.

Ok, I'm not discussing about it.I just care about new stuff, I care about how they still make us happy with their stuff.We're just fans. We do't need to analize everything like that.

The song has a strange time sig yeah, but I think it works, I'll admit at the start of the song I was like.."wah??"...but once I got into it I realy like it, and playing along is simple too

That's what you think. Strange time or not, YOU'RE STILL A FAN. That's what really matters.

I am a guitarist, not just some guy rambling heh

I don't doubt you, And I congratulate you for that.I'd love to play something but I just do not hehe. Listen to me , my friend. Let's celebrate. Mission From God is here to show us that their best is to come. I'm really looking forward to see their new album after the greatest hits. Cheers !!!!!

Dexter_Kyle
06-03-2005, 11:04 AM
^ Cammy speaks the truth, everybody.

CommonRider
06-03-2005, 11:04 AM
song sounds great to me, tempo is a little irregular or whatnot it just sounds unique, as a guitar player I dont see anything wrong

mrconeman
06-03-2005, 12:05 PM

Ok, I'm not discussing about it.I just care about new stuff, I care about how they still make us happy with their stuff.We're just fans. We do't need to analize everything like that.

That's what you think. Strange time or not, YOU'RE STILL A FAN. That's what really matters.

I am a guitarist, not just some guy rambling heh

I don't doubt you, And I congratulate you for that.I'd love to play something but I just do not hehe. Listen to me , my friend. Let's celebrate. Mission From God is here to show us that their best is to come. I'm really looking forward to see their new album after the greatest hits. Cheers !!!!!

Yes. :)

Brines
06-03-2005, 12:51 PM
I mean, it's alright. It sounds like total shit at the beginning though. The vocals and the chorus save it from being their worst song ever. It just doesn't sound right at all. You can tell from just listening to it once.

SeanAshmore
06-03-2005, 01:07 PM
im suprised the "musicians" on this thread arent stoked about the abnormal time signature. don't you get tired of hearing 4/4 all the time? isn't great to hear something different?
the foo fighters' "times like these" is in 7/4. are you going to complain about that too?

I completely agree. ive been a guitarist for like 6 years and a drummer for about 11 years and personally i was glad to see sumthin interestin done with the song. and it really isnt that strange a time signature, anyone who can actually play could follow the tempo of that song. if u find it hard to follow, try following the vocals (when theyre their). the band genesis did this a lot, its sounds all outta time but when u follow like the bass or the guitar riff it all comes together. dream theater do it too.

Moose
06-03-2005, 01:43 PM
umm...

Has anyone mentioned that this was probably done intentionally? I think during the time of igntion they new how to get the time sig down, I think they just wanted it to sound a little chaotic, as the person in the song is a little chaotic as well...the verses are a little whacky like the music is out of whack then it settles in when the person finds his own self-revelation, which then everything comes together and sounds fine, but then goes out of whack again, and then the bridge part...

i could be wrong, im not a musician, although i know some about music such as homophonic and polyphonic melodies and such, but probably cant be on the level as some who have posted here...the song is chaotic, just like the person in the song...sometimes musicians like to use that formula and some like weezer can create an upbeat mood with secretly disturbing lyrics, or some bands just put the two together without even considering if they match or are opposites and just go on whether or not it sounds good...i think its cool, sounds raw, but i think for the most part its done intentionally...plus no one really knows if this song was ever fully finished as far as the final touches are concerned.

plus the end of the song does end in chaos (screaming mission over and over skipping and covering the remaining chorus) as the person meets his destruction taking down all others with him...i just think it was down intentionally, and music has no boundries, i mean cage created 4:22, and that has no sound at all and was considered a great composition, obviously this isnt on that level, but not everything has to be done in 4 beats to be considered great.

leo3375
06-03-2005, 04:08 PM
This is gonna come from someone who spent about 9 years playing jazz trumpet and a hell of a lot more years listening to music:

The song is in "cut-time," meaning you don't count is as 1-2-3-4 really fast but as 1-2 instead. That is the first noticeable thing about it. Second, there are a lot of synchopated phrases (falling between each count), which can sometimes add to the confusion. Third, the pattern doesn't fit the standard 8-measure form. I found most were 12 measures instead. These quirks, and the fact that it's damn catchy, create a very good song.

It's not out of rhythm at all. Get a metronome and you'll find that the beat stays constant throughout the song.

Homer
06-03-2005, 04:14 PM
I really can't find anything wrong. If they add another 16th note, that could be like a.... damn, I forget the word.... a pick-up into the next part. I really don't find anything wrong with the time sig in this song, and I don't know how you can find this song to be crappy, because then you must obviously dislike the CD Ignition.

HeadAroundU
06-03-2005, 04:34 PM
^ Cammy speaks the truth, everybody.

Go Cammy go :D

killboybowerhead
06-03-2005, 04:39 PM
i like the song and i think it sounds perfect.

HeadAroundU
06-03-2005, 04:41 PM
I mean, it's alright. It sounds like total shit at the beginning though. The vocals and the chorus save it from being their worst song ever. It just doesn't sound right at all. You can tell from just listening to it once.

Time will tell you if its good or bad.

I'm offspring fan since americana and when I first heard s/t and ignition I was like its shity quality.I was wrong!

Those albums are very important and unique for me now!

This song is REAL offspring :)

Homer
06-03-2005, 04:44 PM
This song is REAL offspring :)

Hooray! We've got a thinker!

malumboman
06-03-2005, 04:54 PM
there is a reason it wasnt released until now...

Pilau
06-03-2005, 07:51 PM
yeah cos they didn't want any pro or anti religion attatchments.

It was nothing to do with the song being good or bad.

But its fucking great anyway!

Chef Boyardee
06-03-2005, 11:14 PM
This is gonna come from someone who spent about 9 years playing jazz trumpet and a hell of a lot more years listening to music:

The song is in "cut-time," meaning you don't count is as 1-2-3-4 really fast but as 1-2 instead. That is the first noticeable thing about it. Second, there are a lot of synchopated phrases (falling between each count), which can sometimes add to the confusion. Third, the pattern doesn't fit the standard 8-measure form. I found most were 12 measures instead. These quirks, and the fact that it's damn catchy, create a very good song.

It's not out of rhythm at all. Get a metronome and you'll find that the beat stays constant throughout the song.
exactly this dude knows what hes talking about ive been a percusionist for about 7 years now and it is in cut time...there is nothing wrong with the rythem at all....the most important thing to me is that is sounds good..i mean its a catchy song that reminds me of old offspring i love it... cheers to offspirng for this creative peice

ImNoHero
06-04-2005, 01:19 AM

what the fuck are you talking about? The whole first album was like this. Im a drummer too and I cant believe your bitching about some time signature. The song is easy to follow, I mean maybe you need to go back and listin to the Self Tittled or expand your horizions as a drummer. Break the fucking rules, music isnt suppose to have rules like that. The Beatles fucking broke a million by playing notes back2back that shouldnt be because of scales and what not, but that didnt matter. They use to play diffrent timings and still made it sound tight. I dont mean to sound like an ass, but for you to say yuck to a great song is afwul. Hell and who ever said he was a guitar player and complained about it, look man that just shows how much of a better guitar player noddles is, that he doesnt have to follow a fucking book of "rules of music"

later

endlesst0m
06-04-2005, 09:17 PM

no its not even a real time signature...the time signature they do is like not 4/4 its like 4 1/4/4. in other words they just meesed up when they wrote it. you dont have to follow all the rules of music, but some things just sound retarded, that part thats like 2 seconds into the song is one of those things. try to bounce your head to it...you cant because its so wrong.

leo3375
06-05-2005, 03:44 PM
"Mission from God" is in 2/2, not 4/4.

If you want to hear really fucked-up time signatures, check out "Schism" by Tool. The bridge is in threee-measure phrases in a pattern of 12/8, then 9/8, then 3/4.

Strider
06-05-2005, 04:09 PM
what the fuck are you talking about? The whole first album was like this. Im a drummer too and I cant believe your bitching about some time signature. The song is easy to follow, I mean maybe you need to go back and listin to the Self Tittled or expand your horizions as a drummer. Break the fucking rules, music isnt suppose to have rules like that. The Beatles fucking broke a million by playing notes back2back that shouldnt be because of scales and what not, but that didnt matter. They use to play diffrent timings and still made it sound tight. I dont mean to sound like an ass, but for you to say yuck to a great song is afwul. Hell and who ever said he was a guitar player and complained about it, look man that just shows how much of a better guitar player noddles is, that he doesnt have to follow a fucking book of "rules of music"

later

1. Mission From God is by no means a great song.
2. The only song on S/T that sounds slightly like it are Jennifer Lost the War and 1000 Days.
3. Even punks have to follow certain tempo rules sometimes.
4. Shut the hell up.

endlesst0m
06-05-2005, 05:49 PM
hahaha, i couldnt have said it better myself. just because i complained about something involving musicality doesnt mean i believe that you have to follow every rule of music ever to write a song. i didnt say that at all. but this particular songs timing is terrible!

endlesst0m
06-05-2005, 05:58 PM
"Mission from God" is in 2/2, not 4/4.

If you want to hear really fucked-up time signatures, check out "Schism" by Tool. The bridge is in threee-measure phrases in a pattern of 12/8, then 9/8, then 3/4.

no its not in 2/4 its 4/4,

s s s s
b b b b b
1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a

thats the drum beat for most of the song and thats in 4/4 so i dont know where you got that idea from.

i still like this song though.

Gayman
06-05-2005, 06:01 PM
I think it isn't so bad....I'm a drummer too and I don't think there is nothing big wrong with the song....maby I'm retarded!!!?? :confused:

Pilau
06-10-2005, 03:57 AM
No your're not. Its just a great song that these little crap musicians using the board have no clue to when it comes to music theory and time signatures.

CreaturesInside
06-10-2005, 09:56 PM
I like the song. But I will agree, it is an odd song. But you have to take into consideration that not only is this song a B-SIDE (which means it wasn't the best song to begin with), but it was also a b-side from IGNITION. They were still sorta in the beginning stages with this song.

After a couple listens though, I kinda like it. Not the best offspring song, but it is an offspring song.

StayInTheHouseCarl
06-10-2005, 10:04 PM
the song is in 4/4 but with some anticipations of the beat, like pick up notes.
that is what gives it the awkward time feel, i think.
ok, its just fucked up :D but i do like this song.