PDA

View Full Version : Ron's Drumming

endlesst0m
06-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Ron Welty is a strange drummer. In the old Cd's he plays really fast notes on the cymbals, has alot of cool drum fills, and pounds out cool bass drum patterns. Once he gets to Ixnay, the drums are really weak most of the time. The bass drum part in "meaning of life" has to be the laziest bass drum part ever, and he starts doing that beat for almost every song, even though its like the lamest beat ever. And he REALLY dumbed down the "Total Immortal" drum part when they covered it. What gives?

0r4ng3
06-02-2005, 09:18 PM
He became lazy and apathetic with the Offspring, which is one reason why he left.

edit: ok, maybe lazy isn't the right word...

Dexter1989
06-02-2005, 09:30 PM
he was always boring

neocon58
06-03-2005, 01:43 AM
listen to conspiracy of one. rons best album IMO.

and you complain that ron uses the same beat in most songs. i get the feeling dexter wanted it that way, ron was bored, they wern't getting along so ron left. thats my theory.

ron is as good as atom. ron rocks. atom rocks just as much, though he certainly adds to the bands stage presence.

Russel
06-03-2005, 02:30 AM
Some time a go i read an article about the offspring. It said that the new producer, the one who produced Ixnay, told Ron to simplify his drumming since it'll make the songs easier to listen to. Well, I don't agree, I think Rons' drumming on Ignition and on S\T was really good and what's most important - melodic. I don't know why he agreed to change his style

Pilau
06-03-2005, 02:46 AM
There is no way Ron sucks as a drummer. He is respected in the drumming community and has many endorsers still backing him.

Russel is right, listen to S/T or Ignition. Some of those drum intros and Middle 8s are pretty complex and he shows great musicianship locking in with Greg's bass. The recordings could be better but listen out for how he is playing the kit and then think back to how old he was. I haven't heard many teenagers play like him - back then or today.

Even though his drumming got a little less busy, he still kept up the energy and did his job well. He kept it punchy and could pull a million tricks out the bag where he needed to.

Even though he was in one of the biggest rock bands of today, he still remains hugely underated.

Zee
06-03-2005, 05:24 AM
Some time a go i read an article about the offspring. It said that the new producer, the one who produced Ixnay, told Ron to simplify his drumming since it'll make the songs easier to listen to. Well, I don't agree, I think Rons' drumming on Ignition and on S\T was really good and what's most important - melodic. I don't know why he agreed to change his style

It's true by the way, it does make the songs easier to listen to. The style and mixing in the old records is kinda too punk for mainstream... different thing is which you like more.

Piedude
06-03-2005, 06:01 AM
The backround music they had on steady grounds site I liked, but that seems to have gone now and i cant remember the drumming...

killer_queen
06-03-2005, 06:55 AM
ron was good but atom is better...

HeadAroundU
06-03-2005, 08:03 AM
ron was good but atom is better...

no way!!!! You can't compare both drummers now!!!
Atom with offspring made only 2 songs!!!

How people can forgot what ron made for the band!???

No hero,Nothing from something,Nitro,Gone away,Pay the man,Me&My old lady,Defy you,Denial,Revisited,............................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..

Ron is fucking underrated!!! :mad:

Dexter_italy
06-03-2005, 08:05 AM

No hero,Nothing from something,Nitro,Gone away,Pay the man,Me&My old lady,Defy you,Denial,Revisited,............................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..

Ron is fucking underrated!!! :mad:

hem......atom did can't repeat.......what else???
________
BLONDE VIDS (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/12/blonde/videos/1)

HeadAroundU
06-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Woo hoooooo!!
I forgot Kill the president!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Simply amazing drumming.

Ron rules!!!!!!!1

Offspring rox
06-03-2005, 08:41 AM
either way they're both great drummers. They both kick ass. And they're better than any modern rock drummers out there right now.

Pilau
06-03-2005, 10:21 AM
I agree he is underated. He is fucking excellent!

Welty Rules!!!!!

You can't say Atom is better seeming as he is only playing Ron's beats with a bit of emphasis of his own. Atom is very good no doubt tho, especially theatrically.

But obviously true old offspring fans like me are going to prefer Ron.

Gabriel
06-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Ron was great on Ignition, no one beats him.

Pilau
06-03-2005, 10:29 AM
I totally agree. Thats was the first offspring album I ever heard and the consistency of quality of his snare sound had me sold!

It was this album that made me wanna play drums all those years back. He had such a great energy and so many ideas.

That is still my favourite album to this day. Everything I love about the Offspring is on that flawless album.

Gabriel
06-03-2005, 10:32 AM
I totally agree. Thats was the first offspring album I ever heard and the consistency of quality of his snare sound had me sold!
He had such a great energy and so many ideas.

That is still my favourite album to this day. Everything I love about the Offspring is on that flawless album.
Yeah, that's exacly what I wanted to tell
:D

Camilamazed
06-03-2005, 11:19 AM

Perfectly said !!!! (The other part I do nto agree hehe)

You know what?????????

I wonder if things like that would be said if Ron still played with Offspring.
That stupid comparison should stop. Both drummers are great. I bet if Ron hasn't left the band you would all be here licking his boots begging him to post in the forums :rolleyes:

Dexter_Kyle
06-03-2005, 12:10 PM
I love Ron, he's awesome live :D

Camilamazed
06-03-2005, 12:37 PM
^^ What he said

I saw Ron twice alive and twice Atom. They both rock.

I muchly admire Atom now because he's been doing very well with the guys JUST like Ron has done :D

endlesst0m
06-04-2005, 10:22 PM
i dunno whatever. ive seen videos of ron playing the kids arent alright and he really messes up that snare fill that occurs a couples times in the song. just listen to have you ever and the meaning of life and tell me he couldnt throw more bass drum into that. seriously, hes really lazy or something.

nameless
06-05-2005, 03:30 PM
like most people have said, ron was asked to play that way! i like the drumming on the recent albums, things were kept very tight! just because people dont smash the kit to pieces and race about with ridiculous fills - josh freese style - it doesnt make them less of a drummer!

darko
06-05-2005, 03:34 PM
u know i sed that before about atom only doing like two songs....ach well

rowan187
06-05-2005, 03:35 PM

whoa whoa whoa, wait... Atom did the whole splinter drums didnt he? thats not 2 songs, its more like 14 or 15

darko
06-05-2005, 03:37 PM
whoa whoa whoa, wait... Atom did the whole splinter drums didnt he? thats not 2 songs, its more like 14 or 15

no josh freese did....i think
yeah josh

rowan187
06-05-2005, 03:39 PM
hold on ill go look in the booklet

Gayman
06-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Yep....Josh Freese did the drumming on Splinter

rowan187
06-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Additional Musicians:
Drums : John Freese...

well who the fuck is that?

rowan187
06-05-2005, 03:43 PM
oh nvm, i remember that news article from like 2003, he's a drummer for APC

darko
06-05-2005, 03:44 PM
do a search on the name

cant remember what band he was in

rowan187
06-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Ron Welty No Longer A Member Of The Offspring
(03/18/03) As of now, Ron Welty is no longer a member of The Offspring. “After more than 15 great years with The Offspring I‘ve decided to leave to devote all my energies on a new project called Steady Ground. I wish Dexter, Noodles and Greg the best of luck moving forward and it‘s time for me to focus on my own thing,“ said Ron.

The Offspring have hooked up with their friend Josh Freese (A Perfect Circle, The Vandals) to play on the new record which will still be released this year. Dexter says ”After being together so long it will be weird doing stuff without Ron, but we are really looking forward to putting this new record out. We wish him the best.

i really liked the drumming for smash, i noticed that in ixnay he did get a lot slower, does anyone else think the offspring kinda acted like slipknot in their SMASH videos?

endlesst0m
06-05-2005, 03:54 PM
yeah whatever, i still say after smash, rons drums pretty much suck,with some exceptions. look at it like this...pennywise, a band who anyone can agree has a fairly similar sound as offspring, has crazy drums and it sounds good. i can't even keep up with pennywise drumming and ive been playing drums for 4 years. in the singles, the drums could afford to be simple, but fucking songs like "have you ever" which will never be on the radio, ron had no reason to slack off and do that crappy, lazy beat.

when you write songs, i KNOW your supposed to do whats right and not just try to show off. But your also not supposed to do lazy beats and hardly any fills, and ron does that.

and why doesnt he hit the bass drum when he does snare rolls that always bothers me!

ShadowPyro
06-05-2005, 04:13 PM
If he didnt agree, they would not be endorsed by the new producer. Thats why. Oh and im Polish to.

Gayman
06-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Ron was a kickass drummer even after the change!!! :cool:

HeadAroundU
06-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Additional Musicians:
Drums : John Freese...

well who the fuck is that?

He is called "The Bruce Lee Of Drums" or "Drumming chameleon"
He is one of 2 best drummers in the world :D

rowan187
06-05-2005, 05:04 PM
hmm, never payed attention to drums in can't repeat. but atom is obviously good if the offspring accepted him

nameless
06-06-2005, 03:45 PM
yeah whatever, i still say after smash, rons drums pretty much suck,with some exceptions. look at it like this...pennywise, a band who anyone can agree has a fairly similar sound as offspring, has crazy drums and it sounds good. i can't even keep up with pennywise drumming and ive been playing drums for 4 years. in the singles, the drums could afford to be simple, but fucking songs like "have you ever" which will never be on the radio, ron had no reason to slack off and do that crappy, lazy beat.

when you write songs, i KNOW your supposed to do whats right and not just try to show off. But your also not supposed to do lazy beats and hardly any fills, and ron does that.

and why doesnt he hit the bass drum when he does snare rolls that always bothers me!

to me offsprng have a very tight and as some would say, simple sound! it works for me, i dont listen to the songs and think there should be extra parts here and there! theres more room for it in bands like penywise and nofx!

while everyone accuses ron of being uncreative, people havent picked up on the point that greg k admitted he is given lines to play and although he may tweek it a little, it pretty mush stays the same! i dont hear anyone slagging him off!

Gayman
06-06-2005, 03:49 PM
to me offsprng have a very tight and as some would say, simple sound! it works for me, i dont listen to the songs and think there should be extra parts here and there! theres more room for it in bands like penywise and nofx!

while everyone accuses ron of being uncreative, people havent picked up on the point that greg k admitted he is given lines to play and although he may tweek it a little, it pretty mush stays the same! i dont hear anyone slagging him off!
I'm with you!!!!!!You're my homie!!!!My hombre!!!!