Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best CD you've bought this year?

Default Best CD you've bought this year?

Well, unlike many of you twats, many of us still go out and support our favourite bands by buying their CDs rather than downloading them.

So what's the best CD you've bought this year? Explain a little why you like it.
    Post a link to a video clip or mp3 if you can.

The best CD I've bought so far this year I only bought two days ago. It's called 'Discovering the Waterfront' by the band 'Silverstein'.

The genre is what I guess is Screamo with a mix of Emo and Punk. The guy is a great singer and a great screamer too. I love the guitar parts on this CD, lots of multitracking going on (different guitar parts going on simultaneously for a more dynamic sound), but not the the point where it's unenjoyable for the listener. Bass is punchy and fits in well. Drumming is amazing, unlike anything I've ever heard before (perhaps thats because I used to live on a diet of Offspring, NOFX, Blink, Sum 41 and Green Day ).

Stand out songs on this CD: Smile in your Sleep, Discovering the Waterfront.

The only bad thing about this band is the drummer and bassist's full on emo haircut.

Anyway, I'll let the music do the talking:

http://www.purevolume.com/silverstein

http://music.yahoo.com/ar-303779-videos--Silverstein

So yeah, share your favourite CD purchases here!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnholyNightbringer
    Damn, she found me out. All I do is post on these forums and eat cheese in various forms.

Noez.

Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante. I actually bought it near the end of last year, but it's still within 365 days. The band is incredibly talented and has insane song structure. They'll be playing jazz one minute followed by death metal with a jazz saxophone overtop of it that makes it sound like a very very angry cartoon. Then they'll play surf rock followed by some middle eastern techno. They somehow manage to make the odd pieces fit together into an awesome whole. The craziest part is that when they play jazz, it's GOOD jazz, when they play death metal, it's GOOD death metal, when they play techno, it's GOOD techno it's not like they're just playing characatures with weird structure, they're actually playing really really fucking good music with weird structure.
    Last edited by nieh; 08-11-2005 at 04:52 AM. Reason: I forgot to explain why I like it

Quote Originally Posted by nieh
    Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante.
    Whoa, that sounds pretty crazy. I'll check them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnholyNightbringer
    Damn, she found me out. All I do is post on these forums and eat cheese in various forms.

Noez.

Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium
    "I don't cut my grass. I threaten it."

Millencolin - Kingwood

Quote Originally Posted by neocon58
    Well, unlike many of you twats, many of us still go out and support our favourite bands by buying their CDs rather than downloading them.

So what's the best CD you've bought this year? Explain a little why you like it.
    Post a link to a video clip or mp3 if you can.

The best CD I've bought so far this year I only bought two days ago. It's called 'Discovering the Waterfront' by the band 'Silverstein'.

The genre is what I guess is Screamo with a mix of Emo and Punk. The guy is a great singer and a great screamer too. I love the guitar parts on this CD, lots of multitracking going on (different guitar parts going on simultaneously for a more dynamic sound), but not the the point where it's unenjoyable for the listener. Bass is punchy and fits in well. Drumming is amazing, unlike anything I've ever heard before (perhaps thats because I used to live on a diet of Offspring, NOFX, Blink, Sum 41 and Green Day ).

Stand out songs on this CD: Smile in your Sleep, Discovering the Waterfront.

The only bad thing about this band is the drummer and bassist's full on emo haircut.

Anyway, I'll let the music do the talking:

http://www.purevolume.com/silverstein

http://music.yahoo.com/ar-303779-videos--Silverstein

So yeah, share your favourite CD purchases here!!!
    Thats kida hard to decide. I bought all the old offspring stuff this year I had some before this year but I wanted more, and I bought American Idiot: Greenday I think the offspring rocks but American Idiot is a great CD.
    I think Ixnay On The Hombre or Smash was my best buy this year.

1,039 smoothed out/slappy hours

TSOL's "Dance With Me". I got this on a recommendation, and ended up getting into a really fucking awesome band. Uhh, a description on why it's so good..

Nah fuck that.
    I'm the chairman of the bored.

ah, tie between Billy Corgan's *The Future Embrace* and Louis XIV's *The Best Little Secrets Are Kept*. They're too different for me to really say which is better.

i guess it's all about the dream

I've bought so many albums this year.

It's probably either Millencolin- Kingwood or Self Titled Sublime ( I know, I know, Nine years after it comes out)