Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Illegal Immigration.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Nowhere, Ohio
    Posts
    5,641


    Default Illegal Immigration.

    I'm doing a paper where I have to non-biasedly discuss both pro-illegal opinions and anti-illegal opinions. Basically, I have to compare the arguments and explain where they differ in the types of appeals, ect. that they're using.

    In doing so, I realized that I have no fucking idea what my opinion of illegal immigration is. While I do believe that people sneaking into the country are breaking a law, and in some ways are hurting our country, I also think treating them like animals is incredibly wrong. I also agree that if you want to live here, you should have to at least know english as some level of proficiency, but at the same time, I disagree with the idea that you should completely abandon you heritage. I also really wish that conservatives would quit with the endless hyperbole and saying that Mexico is trying to take over the Southwest. I guess I have no idea what I believe in this issue. Your thoughts?

    Also, something I don't get: why the fuck do conservatives go after illegals with a massive amount of passion, yet completely ignore the fact that businesses keep hiring them? Why do corporations get a free pass to hire them, but the people that get hired are horrible scum?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Come on and raise up.
    Posts
    3,887


    Default

    It's an issue that I debate myself on as well, but I just wanted to say that I'm so, so furiously against mass deportation of illegal immigrants that I can hardly talk about it rationally. It would undermine the entire purpose of our justice system.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

    "DIE!!!!!"

    "WRONG! HOOOONK!"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,075


    Default

    My take is that immigration laws need to change. It's harder to get into the US than pretty much any other country, even after all the shit in the UK. It's fucking ridiculous. People have been denied coming to the US solely because they've been to the middle east at some point in their lives. And becoming a legal citizen... well that's just a fucking joke. Most born and raised Americans can't pass that test. It's sick.

    I don't think the problem is in how illegals are treated; the problem is in how hard it is to be legal in this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    721


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakebert View Post
    Also, something I don't get: why the fuck do conservatives go after illegals with a massive amount of passion, yet completely ignore the fact that businesses keep hiring them? Why do corporations get a free pass to hire them, but the people that get hired are horrible scum?
    I've heard way more attacks on the corporations that hire illegal immigrants compared to people attacking actual illegal immigrants. I don't think most people actually blame the illegal immigrants for taking whats available to them to survive.

    We need to look at the problems with Mexico's economy and hope for it to get better in order to fully stop the illegal immigrant problem in this country, why the fuck is there a third world country directly next to the richest country in the world?

    It is not practical to deport all the illegal immigrants, but I do believe any illegal immigrant who is found guilty of a misdemeanor or a felony should be deported immediately.

    I do believe we should make English the official language however.
    Waiting, as I saw you fading. Like everything in time, you withered and you died.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Nowhere, Ohio
    Posts
    5,641


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    My take is that immigration laws need to change. It's harder to get into the US than pretty much any other country, even after all the shit in the UK. It's fucking ridiculous. People have been denied coming to the US solely because they've been to the middle east at some point in their lives. And becoming a legal citizen... well that's just a fucking joke. Most born and raised Americans can't pass that test. It's sick.

    I don't think the problem is in how illegals are treated; the problem is in how hard it is to be legal in this country.
    I understand most of the rules and regulations, but I do really hate the time frame it takes to become legal, and the fact that you have to pay. I'm willing to bet if there was no money involved, that would cut down.

    And TBD, yeah corporations do get mentioned, but barely by the conversative base that's using illegal immigration as it's core issue. With them, the whole thing is about demonizing the illegals themselves.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,075


    Default

    So you understand not allowing people to come visit the US who were in the middle east when they were 7 years old? And you understand having a number of questions on the citizenship test that ask things like if you've ever been affiliated with the nazi party and if you support the idea of communism, and if you answer yes to any of these questions, you'll be denied citizenship, and if you're caught lying, you'll also be denied? And you understand having questions on the exam like "who said 'speak softly but carry a big stick'?" and other mundane questions?

    I honestly can't understand why our system is so retarded. And oh yeah, if you fail the test the first time, you have to pay several hundred dollars again to retake it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    880


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    It's an issue that I debate myself on as well, but I just wanted to say that I'm so, so furiously against mass deportation of illegal immigrants that I can hardly talk about it rationally. It would undermine the entire purpose of our justice system.
    The argument would be that as they're not US citizens/legal residents of any sort, they don't technically have any sort or rights to our justice.


    I honestly have no idea where I stand. I think I've mentioned before that my town is 60+% Hispanic, and there are easily numerous illegals. The cops don't do anything, though, because by not deporting them the cops get more support from investigations etc.

    I don't think that people should come in, try so hard whether legally or illegally, and try to say how much better Mexico is than the U.S. It's ridiculous/maddening to hear people do that.

    I don't suppose I've helped you with the issue. I guess I'd have to say I'm against it because of all the gang activity, violence, and other stuff I've seen that a lot of is created because of illegals.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Nowhere, Ohio
    Posts
    5,641


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    So you understand not allowing people to come visit the US who were in the middle east when they were 7 years old? And you understand having a number of questions on the citizenship test that ask things like if you've ever been affiliated with the nazi party and if you support the idea of communism, and if you answer yes to any of these questions, you'll be denied citizenship, and if you're caught lying, you'll also be denied? And you understand having questions on the exam like "who said 'speak softly but carry a big stick'?" and other mundane questions?

    I honestly can't understand why our system is so retarded. And oh yeah, if you fail the test the first time, you have to pay several hundred dollars again to retake it.
    Notice how I said "most"?

    The Middle East thing is obviously BS, but as for the test questions, while they make no sense now, at one time they did serve some sort of point, even as dumb as the communism one is.

    As for lying, yeah, if you get caught lying on most forms, whatever/whoever you're filling out the form for dismisses you without further questioning. I think that's a pretty standard procedure.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cascadian Exile
    Posts
    19,609


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    The argument would be that as they're not US citizens/legal residents of any sort, they don't technically have any sort or rights to our justice.
    Well there are other institutions that try and guarantee things like basic human rights (the UN). Furthermore the United States doesn't usually on it's own soil violate the basic rights of non-citizens (that's why they have Guantanamo).

    Jakebert, it's amazing how much people focus on the illegal immigrants. And not on the people who create the market for illegal immigration (the people who hire them.) Although I'm not sure what steps the government takes against these companies, one thing is sure is that the government focuses much much more on illegal immigrants.

    But when it comes down to it. The issue of illegal immigrants boils down to, "why care?" They're not taking any jobs you would want to do. And the thing about English, it's not a language you pick up immediately. I've lived in Denmark for 6 years now and I still have an accent.

    Also it's kinda funny that they think this wall will stop illegal immigration.

    In reality it's one of those things we need to handle in a more practical manner. Like making sure that those who make it over here are able to survive and thrive (and in turn, avoid turning towards a life of crime lol). Instead of wasting a ton of cash on a useless wall. But who knows, perhaps a wall might lower the number of immigrants.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,075


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakebert View Post
    Notice how I said "most"?

    The Middle East thing is obviously BS, but as for the test questions, while they make no sense now, at one time they did serve some sort of point, even as dumb as the communism one is.

    As for lying, yeah, if you get caught lying on most forms, whatever/whoever you're filling out the form for dismisses you without further questioning. I think that's a pretty standard procedure.
    Whether or not they used to have a purpose, my point was that it needs to change and it's incredibly terrible. The worst part is, they're trying to add MORE questions about communism/nazi. There are already 3-4 for each, and they want to add more. Seems like the wrong way to go.

    And denying people citizenship because they believe in communism? It's not against the law to do so. If I can believe in communism, why can't someone who moves here from another country? It's so stupid, especially because you'd have to lie about your (rather pointless) belief in order to be accepted, and if they find out you were affiliated with communist stuff in your home country, you're screwed. Yeah, lying on a form is bad, but in this case, the situation is fucked up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •