Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bush Visits Canada...

Default Bush Visits Canada...

Anyone catch any of the interviews or news casts? I missed them all! All I know is that there were a buncha protestors and shit like that...and they discussed the war and beef...Anyone care to comment on this particular event?

Hah I saw a bit of it on the news and people were cheering before he spoke. I was wondering why Canadians could possibly be cheering for him...
    omg sigged fuck you

I dunno...maybe to try and make him feel welcome???? or perhaps they are two fACED!!!
    Last edited by Italia311; 12-01-2004 at 09:58 PM.

The people who watched him speak were special guests selected among Bush fans and supporters. It's not a general admission event. Naturaly they loved what he had to say. The protesters are the exact opposite. They are people who traveled all the way to Ottawa to protest his policies. Obviously, they are angered at his presence.

I'd say generaly the Canadian mood is anti-Bush at about 60-40 percent or so. Probably 75-25 percent in Quebec.

My only thought was that it wouldn't look very nice for the country if Bush were greeted with a bunch of protestors... since after all the US is going to be the one who gets our back if ever necessary since we couldn't defend ourselves. However, thinking about it, I'm sure he doesn't get much nicer greetings in his own country either... so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

On a different note, to Sic and WCM, I fail to see how this particular form of protest is at all a productive one. Agree or disagree? I'm pretty sure you'll disagree... but I had to ask.

It's productive simply because it makes it prevalent to the media that Bush is not welcome in Canada. Millions of people consider him an illegitimate, warmonging ape, and without protest this sentiment would not be displayed and it would seem as if Bush is respected. Since the media itself is so biased, protestors are a vital way of showing the world how Canadians, or Americans, or basically anyone sane and intelligent thinks of Bush. I don't know what happened when Clinton visited Canada, but I doubt he recieved such a greeting, because of was reletively respected as a world leader.

On a side, I doubt the US would ever need to defend Canada. We haven't engaged in any sort of defencive military action since the war of 1812, and I highly doubt it's gonna happen again anytime soon. The only mild threat is terrorism, but nobody would target Canada because Canada does not have a hostile foreign policy.

I would like to think so too, but you never know. If anything DID happen, we'd be screwed. You can't say 100% nothing will happen.

I suppose your argument makes some sense, although I still think these people could be doing something MORE productive.

Also, the biased media comment always gets to me. Maybe it's because you guys have Fox news, but in Canada the media is SO left biased. I don't see how anyone could deny that.

A good example would be that you're saying these protestors are necessary to show that Canada is not happy with Bush. Well, do you know what kind of impression I get from the media? I feel like every single person in Canada hates Bush with a passion. I never hear of anybody pro Bush. When in fact there is probably a good 30-40% that support him, that kind of thing is never talked about in the media. Except for the one or two right-wing papers that are not the most respected among news sources.

The treatement Bush recieves is strictly reserved for his administration and his polciies. This isn't an Anti-American protest. Stop labeling it as such, Betty.

As for the biased-Media coment, i've seen you throw this around time and time again and I feel like I have to make a counter argument. So there goes: you're wrong. The end.

Nah, kidding. Your perception of "left" is skewed since you haven't traveled much elsewhere to the world, as I gather from what you post. You've only the American media outlets to compare with Canada; and it's beyond obvious that the former is much to the Right than Canada. Even NY Times will look "conservative" (in the american sense of the word) in comparision with say Globe in Mail (who in turn are known for their right-leaning). But try reading the BBC website for a month. Or maybe Le Monde. Or how about the English translation to pravda.ru. See how the Canadians rank with the rest of the world in terms of their perspective on Foreign affairs. Then come tell me how Left we are.

North American politics are completely different then European, I think Betty's speaking reletive to that. I guess Canada's media might be a bit biased, but at least it's bias is more complimentary to the population. The US is about 50/50, and Fox News gives half of our country absolutely no representation (although compared to Europe, the entire United States is aggresively reactionary).

Yes, I know it is anti-Bush and not anti-America... although a lot of Canadians also make many anti-American comments, which is totally unrelated.

Your argument concerning media bias is good, however, it basically boils it down to relativity. If you want to look at it relative to the world, maybe it is quite right, if you want to look at it in terms of Canadian (not even American) politics, it is left. For example, the media would be much more in support of the NDP than of the Conservative party. But I would agree that it would seem right to those who are left of our left, obviously.