Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Offspring 20 years from now?

Quote Originally Posted by young greg
    The Offspring will never be remembered in the same light as the Sex Pistols or the Ramones or the Clash (etc.). These bands are among the (more well known and commercialized) founders of punk, but the Offspring--of course--do not fall in this category.

In my opinion, twenty years from now, the Offspring will continue to act as a band that gets kids into punk for the first time. Twelve year-old Johnny punker might hear a more popular track like Pretty Fly... on one of his father's old CDs, like it, and then delve into the earlier works, at which point he will discover S/T, Ignition, and Smash--three solid punk/metal albums. The Offspring are significantly well known and dispersed, lyrically friendly, and musically melodic enough that new-comers to punk aren't scared off by them. If they don't spoil the remainder of their career too badly, I can see them serving as this kind of stepping stone for years to come.

Also, I doubt that they will be remembered for too much more than just being a goofy LA punk band that signed to a major label in the great punk buy-out of 1994. (Green Day are obviously more popular than the Offspring, and wherever the story of Green Day is told, the Offspring will be mentioned as contemporaries.) However, the truth is that the Offspring aren't too musically innovative. They aren't out there doing radical things that nobody has ever thought of before. Sure, they have their own distinctive sound, but it's not monumentally unique.

In short, I believe that punks will be still be listening to the Offspring twenty years from now, if only for a few short years early on.
    Yeah, I totally agree.

Offspring will be remembered for long enough time. However, it won't be a good memory, mostly because their last albuns didn't have much success. However, if they ended right after Smash (ya know, if Dexter died, kind of Kurt Cobain style), they'd have fame and glory.
    SEH

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Studly
    If you kill a person in self-defence, it isn't murder. Idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lack of self-esteem771
    i don't care, and what ever you call me is what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by platinumpt
    Offspring will be remembered for long enough time. However, it won't be a good memory, mostly because their last albuns didn't have much success. However, if they ended right after Smash (ya know, if Dexter died, kind of Kurt Cobain style), they'd have fame and glory.
    But if anybody dies, no matter how good or bad they were, they become a legend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Offspring-Fanatic
    no. thomas is the most awesome guy on here. you just don't find him funny because he is cooler than you.

They'll all live together, and sit in their rocking chairs during the day time, and do their knitting. Then, in the evenings they'll play....

Snap.
    Black coat, white shoes, black hat, cadillac!

MySpace
    MSN Space
    Lawl.

I'd give an arm to see an Offspring show with Noodles,Greg,Dex and Atom? playing in rocking chairs!!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Special_Delivery
    I'd give an arm to see an Offspring show with Noodles,Greg,Dex and Atom? playing in rocking chairs!!
    lol yeah imagine them on stage jumping around with zimmer franes
    Don't fuck with Da Hui because Da Hui will fuck with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles
    Come on, everybody, Be gay, even if it's just for the day.

If you post here you are gay, even if it's just for the day.
    My Offspring Site
    wierd Offspring pictures

In 20 years time, I'll be listining to Offspring, thats all that matters, who gives a flying fuck if commercial radio remembers them, or MTV, both suck.
    http://soundcloud.com/ciaran-lyttle
    I did it all for the lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

Actually the new generation does not know what actually punk music is Co1 and splinter were not bad they are kickass albums but as i said kids now adays are getting more into Punk( crapy Punk which doesn't makes any sence) like Yellowcard,Simpleplan,Good charlotte and other bands like these.
    And yes if we want to remember Offspring as a PUNK ROCK Legend Offspring better come up with an album which satisfied us and the new generation(teenagers)

THE OFFSPRING WILL ROCK ON !!!
    We're rich and famous, neither of which were goals, it's like,Jeezus!Now we've really got some explaining to do to the punk fraternity (Greg K)

They'll be remembered forever for an album that they will soon release. It will be by far their worst release, but then Greg K and Noodles with unfortunately overdose on cool... which will make sales soar and gain the band immense following. Noodles' partner, Dexter, will forever be suspected of having orchestrated the odd deaths (Billy Joe will remember being asked to kill the two at one point), and a private investigator will keep up a website about how the deaths were unnatural. The drummer at the time will begin to play guitar and sing and form his own supergroup, with a tribute to Greg K and Noodles' unfortunate deaths in the name - the Cool Fighters.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

I'm not trying to once again spur the debate of "Who's better: the Offspring or Green Day?" All I'm saying is that whenever someone recounts the story of Green Day's success, the Offspring will be mentioned at some point. Likewise, whenever the Offspring's story is told, Green Day will be mentioned as well.