Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Thibault's Music

First update in a while. I've retooled Black Box into an electric song. I kept the initial vocal tracks and tried to build a rock song AROUND them, which has actually been a pretty sweet experience. The first thing I did was finally decide to tune in to Homer's constant complaint about the Beatcraft drums. Instead of putting in a ton of work to make them more realistic, I decided to process them in order to give them a low-fi, garage-rock quality that still managed to retain some punch by running them through a radio filter. Hearing what that sounded like - and loving it - I dedicated most of the song to countering the voices with a really bass-heavy garage rock feel. Then as window dressing I put in two guitars and improvised a solo over the top (the solo you hear is my second improvised attempt... hell yeah).

Finally, I fucked the levels all up and down to try and get a chaotic feel that more or less stayed cohesive, processed the voices, and uploaded it.

Comment and enjoy!

Black Box (Electric)

Main Site
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

That's a badass solo, indeed!

I like the new version of this song. It has a very relaxed, yet rocking vibe to it. Good conversion!
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Yeeeeah, I really like Black Box, especially the acoustic version. Is this the song that was being discussed when I was on the podcast? Anyway, there are no negatives about it. One of my favorite things is how the opening chord* sort of gives it a light, quirky feel, though it's not a very light song as far as I can tell. Also, I have to put out that it's your best vocal effort yet. You were right on point the entire song. Even threw in some stylized vocal runs in there. Awesome.

*What is that chord anyway? Not being much of a music theorist, I'm just gonna guess some kind of 6th. And that's purely a guess.
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

Quote Originally Posted by randman21 View Post
    Yeeeeah, I really like Black Box, especially the acoustic version. Is this the song that was being discussed when I was on the podcast? Anyway, there are no negatives about it. One of my favorite things is how the opening chord* sort of gives it a light, quirky feel, though it's not a very light song as far as I can tell. Also, I have to put out that it's your best vocal effort yet. You were right on point the entire song. Even threw in some stylized vocal runs in there. Awesome.

*What is that chord anyway? Not being much of a music theorist, I'm just gonna guess some kind of 6th. And that's purely a guess.
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I was playing around with different chords while trying to stay in key and came up with that one. It's Am6, though to be honest I find the notation a little bit weird since it's a major 6th instead of a minor sixth.

Anywho, it's played like this:

e-2
    B-1
    G-2
    D-2
    A-0
    E-x

The song itself is in G/Em.

For the vocals - it's pretty much the most effort I've put into vocals yet. I practiced for days before recording, and actually managed to do the whole thing (harmonized voices aside) in a single take, which was a wonderful feeling.

First update in like six months. I guess that in itself isn't unheard of for me.

I've got a bunch of new songs that I hadn't mentioned here, really, including two recorded exclusively for the mixtape. I won't mention those here, but they are all part of an upcoming "release" (I call it that, but it's just the act of putting my music on the internet) entitled Where Is Home. I have 8 out of 10 tracks recorded, plus 2 bonus tracks I've already finished.

The song in particular I updated for is called Interregnum - I wrote and recorded it in an hour yesterday and I'm actually very proud of it. Its influences are definitely a little more folksy than I usually have, but I think I've channeled that into a short and sweet little effort. Even my vocals are half-decent.

Here are the lyrics

The King is dead long live the king
    But now we're lost in interregnum

The queen is gone the people cry
    But what to do when monarchs pass
    Away from here

Take what is yours
    All yours

Who were they to be remembered
    Far away and ruling
    Over our lives

Still and silent is the night
    Without our leader by our side
    We will never be the same again

See the streets of painted blood while
    We forget that we were one

The King is dead long live the king
    But now we're lost in interregnum

The queen is gone the people cry
    But what to do when monarchs pass
    Away from here

Take what is yours
    All yours

Take what is yours
    I mostly like the lyrics because of the way they flow in the song. It's always been my primary preoccupation when writing words to songs that they flow well in a particular way, and I really like the way this turned out.

So here is the track, Thibault Kervarech - Interregnum, and the main site of Thibault's Music. If you do check out the other songs from Where is Home, be advised - Rush Hour Star and DEFCON 2 (Chaos Emerald Version) are my BBS mixtape submissions.

So enjoy, and any feedback is appreciated.

As soon as I saw "The King is Dead", I immediately started thinking of "THE KING IS DEAD, FUCK! THE KING IS DEAD WOOOooooOOOO!!!"

Good song btw. Well written.

Thanks, Outerspaceman. As I'm sure you noticed, there isn't a huge amount of parallel between the song I wrote and A Wilhelm Scream's.

The chords and lyrics sort of came to me in about a fifteen minute period while I was having breakfast with an acoustic on my lap - something I never do. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I take that seriously. An hour later I'd warmed up my voice as far as it was going to go and recorded it.

If I had to pick direct influences for the song, I'd say I was thinking of voices that are incredibly pleasant to listen to - just interestingly written little pieces that have singers with clear intonation and a sort of odd gentleness to their tone. Think Yo La Tengo meets Simon & Garfunkel. Though nowhere as good as either, of course.

I listened to Interregnum and even though you try something new in that one, you're still good at it! The song has an Simon and Garfunkel-ish feel to it, indeed.
    I'll listen to the other songs later, so I don't ruin the mixtape surprise for myself
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

Hey dudes, another slightly sporadic update.

I've finished another two songs and they sound completely different. Well, the writing style itself isn't insanely far from my recent ventures, but I'm using a different program to synthesize the instruments and everything is sounding a whole lot better.

These are two songs that I've been working on for a while, and they were the biggest obstructions to rounding out the soon-to-be-completed album I'm working on.

Without further ado, please check out Where Is Home and Yperaht on Thibault's Music Site, give them a listen and tell me what you think!

Yperaht is probably the most radio-friendly song I've ever written. It certainly didn't start like that, but I'm very proud of the mix and the way the finished result sounds. The intro cello is also something I really enjoyed writing.

There's also a third 'song' added called DEFCON 4. You might remember DEFCON 2 (Chaos Emerald Version) as my BBS Mixtape submission and my love ode to Sonic 2 - well, that was a version of an original, more 'hardcore' techno version that I came up with on my DS, and to which I added a fadeout to segue into Black Box. DEFCON 2 didn't end up fitting with the rest of the album's vibes so I scrapped it with a heavy heart (also, it went on for too long and had very little variety, I later realized) and cut out the outro into its own little song.
    Last edited by T-6005; 12-10-2010 at 05:29 PM.

So I actually decided to upload DEFCON 2 after all, despite scrapping it. It doesn't really fit the rest of the album so I had to get rid of it, but it's the original version of one of my BBS mixtape songs.

I've uploaded it here, and of course if you want to listen to the almost finished album Where Is Home with the songs from the last post, you can do so here or take your pick of everything offered here.

I changed the design of the site a little bit - the biggest real difference is of course that the albums have pictures attached to them. Ten points if you guess where the pictures are from.

Enjoy, and of course feedback is always much appreciated.