Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What really grinds your gears?

It depends on what language we're talking about and what situation these people are in. If you're living in a mostly English-speaking neighborhood (like the two of you) and don't learn the language, then yeah, it's a problem. If you're like most of my family, however, living in an area where it truly is more important to speak Spanish than English (these places DO exist in America, y'know), then it really doesn't matter.

As far as businesses go, I say fuck that: you want to accomodate more people and get more money, learn Spanish your goddamn self. If people in the workplace aren't going to look at the social constructions that make it so that these people don't have access to the language in the same way, they need to cram it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    Wait, now you're trying to tell us the clitoris exists?

the language thing will be less of a problem now that kids are required to take spanish in school, starting at a young age.

lots of things bug me. at this very second, it's overpriced textbooks. UGH

i guess it's all about the dream

English majors who believe that juxtaposing 12 different oxymorons per sentence will make them seem "deep" or "meaningful".

English majors who believe that resorting to swear words and gruesome imagery makes their writing more "intense", "real", or "raw".

The majority of English or Professional Writing majors in general.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyNemesis
    It depends on what language we're talking about and what situation these people are in. If you're living in a mostly English-speaking neighborhood (like the two of you) and don't learn the language, then yeah, it's a problem. If you're like most of my family, however, living in an area where it truly is more important to speak Spanish than English (these places DO exist in America, y'know), then it really doesn't matter.
    well, living in New York, i AM aware of that. =p it's the same deal as Chinatown or Flushing, or even parts of Greenpoint - people living there don't really speak English, nor do they need to.

but i am bothered by non-English speaking people having interaction-based jobs in English-speaking neighborhoods... and not being able to perform them.. cause, fuck, YOU CANT COMMUNICATE WITH THEM! asdlfgkn!!12

When I'm good, I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Ozymandias
    People who like Family Guy.
    Seconded.
    Also:
    -People who quote some kind of popular "indie" lyrics in their AIM profiles in a combination of 3 colors and "strategically" placed bold, italics, and underline.

-Indie lyrics in general. I hate how the goal has become to say small things in the most drawn-out, pretentious way possible rather than saying a lot in few words.

-People who use unnecessary ellipses all the time to make themselves seem more pensive.

-People who use high-beam headlights on well-lit roads.

-Having to go back to my old high school to watch my brother's basketball games and having to socialize with parents who I don't even recognize and my horribly annoying former Spanish teacher who loved me for some stupid reason.

-Driving behind Buicks. They're ALWAYS the slowest cars on the road.

-Bandwagon Red Sox fans. No matter how much people want to bitch about the Yankees, and yes, they are justified, there's no denying that the Boston Red Sox bandwagon is the biggest recent bandwagon in sports.

-People who are like "You're current browser sucks. GET FIREFOX FIREFOX its the most kickass web browser evar!!!!!11 8===========D " Shut up. Yes, it's a good browser. But did you design it? No. Did you discover it? No. Why do you fucking care? Besides, everyone knows about Firefox already. I don't understand the pleasure people get out of pimping it. Sometimes people just piss me off.

-Athletes who retire and think they're "going out on top." Also, people's lack of realization that this is stupid. Take Roger Clemens. He was going to retire after a good season with the Yankees. "Classy move, going out on top," said all the cheesedick analysts. But oh, wait! The guy stays for a couple more years in Houston and pitches two of the best years he ever has. How the fuck does one know that they were ever "on top" unless they've started to decline? I have much greater admiration for the athletes that stay in the game longer until they're stuck on the bench and can't get into the game.

-Finally, I try to stay away from racism and prejudice in general, but I can't deny that I kind of hate the following:
    -Jews
    -Indians
    -Koreans
    -Greeks
    -The French
    -Bostonians

That is all.
    Last edited by XYlophonetreeZ; 02-05-2006 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Forgot about the worthless Beantowners.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Ahhh.... Good 'ol Peter Griffin...

-people that chew with their mouths open
    -people that talk to me, but I have no idea who they are
    -People that listen to Green Day because they think they are the first ones to make a rock album with a story. (Pink Floyd's The Wall anyone?)
    -People that try to shove food down my throat when I'm not hungry
    -people that try to make me do stuff I don't wan to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Offspring-Fanatic
    no. thomas is the most awesome guy on here. you just don't find him funny because he is cooler than you.

Drummers .
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandematthew View Post
    Sometime I think about the Drama and Jokes I visit on this Board. This is not only for Drama and Jokes but some important information like Handmade Mattresses.

*faints*
    no. thomas is the most awesome guy on here. you just don't find him funny because he is cooler than you.

People that don't realize their own incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by coke_a_holic
    People that don't realize their own incompetence.
    Luckily I'm fully aware of mine.