Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which current female pop singer do you find to be the best?

Default Which current female pop singer do you find to be the best?

Or maybe "most tolerable"?
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

I legitimately enjoy

Katy Perry
    Kate Nash
    Ellie Goulding

This one in particular has been caught in my head all week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

1 members appreciate this post.

Definitely Pink
    Turn the lights on.

Marina and the Diamonds is actually legit. She writes her own lyrics, her second album is even a concept album, plus she plays piano. She's actually talented and her music is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Pink, Taylor Swift (even tho she's considered a country artist gone mainstream) and Britney Spears are my favorites. Kelly Clarkson and Katy Perry are alright. I'm pretty much over Lady Gaga.

I figured most people would say Lady Gaga, to which I would disagree. I think her music has declined in quality since she first came out, and worse, I find her to be kind of tryhardish. She's also reminiscent enough of Madonna, both in her music and her public persona, that it bothers me a bit.

If we're going strictly by their music alone, then I would have to say Kelly Clarkson and Pink are the most tolerable. But if we're asking about whose celebrity persona I dig the most? It's Ke$ha. I'm serious. She basically makes light of being a pop star. There aren't really any gimmicks to her music; it's just unapologetic party music. "Blow" is sort of the perfect no-strings-attached party song. I've always thought her lyrics were kind of quietly witty and tongue-in-cheek.

Nicki Minaj, on the other hand, pisses me off because she's legitimately talented, but throws in this unnecessary diva component to go with it. I'd love to just be able to enjoy her clever lyrics and good rapping ability, but she creates a persona that's entirely unnecessary to go with it, and also makes her music less enjoyable. With Ke$ha, I guess I enjoy her pop persona because it's sorta all she's got, but with Minaj, I expect her to rise above that.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

I'd add Beth Ditto to the list.
    Turn the lights on.

Gonna agree with the Kate Nash mention. First two albums are great, still need to grab the new one. I'm cool with Kelly Clarkson and Pink don't really listen to either of their music by myself but if they're on I'm not gonna complain. Surprised no one has said Adele yet. Love that girl a lot. But for me personally I think Lily Allen will always be my favorite.

Yea Yea this is old, but she's supposedly writing again so she's technically still "current"
    fuck fuck shit fuck

I liked Kate Nash and Lilly Allen a lot more until I read up on them and found out how incredibly fake they are. All pop singers are a bit fake, but at least most don't pretend to be authentic like those two. They put on fake accents in their singing (those aren't even their spoken accents... it's like someone from New York singing with a forced Alabama accent to appeal to a country/folk crowd). I still dig their songs (I much prefer Kate, though - she actually has musical talent, while Lily mostly relies on shock value), but I lost a lot of respect for them both. At least other pop singers are obviously and intentionally fake :P

Besides Marina, of the most famous pop singers, I guess I'd go with Pink. She's got an incredible voice, and she's really owned her shit. She puts out hit after hit, with a decent variety of style, still a good amount of rock influence and not nearly as much electro crap, and she's a tough woman who's involved with a ton of activism but doesn't feel the need to brag about it.

Oh and Beth Ditto is awful. She's got a good voice, and that one Gossip song is quality, but otherwise I can not stand her. She's a nasty person, and her song-writing skills leave a lot to be desired.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

To be fair, even a lot of supposed "authentic" artists put on a bit of an act - ie when Green Day was still a little indie band on Lookout Records Billie Joe would put on a faux British accent sometimes. Tim Armstrong did/does the same thing.

I really like Lily Allen - should have mentioned her on my initial list, especially her last album. Catchy as hell

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.