Page 79 of 81 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 LastLast

Thread: A.F.I. (A Fire Inside)

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    I never got all the love for STS. The arrangements are all way more in-depth and less juvenile punk-y, and the last couple of songs totally destroy, but a lot of the songwriting on it just went way into that "we sound like all the other emo bands that are starting to get popular in 2002/2003" vibe. I don't mind that it's less heavy, just that it kind of lost a bit of the AFI "feel".
    I was totally one of those who fell in love with STS, but looking back, I like Black Sails and Art of Drowning almost as much.

I'm not all into the new song. I actually don't like the fact that it sounds like NIN. I thought "Sacrilege" was the best song on Crash Love; it actually reminded me of AOD-era AFI. It's very, very rare that a band can actually remind me of a time that they were... well... better. I hope there's at least one song like that on their upcoming album.

On the other hand, if a band can genuinely pull off a brand new sound and excel at it, then I'm always all for that. That's kind of what "Sing the Sorrow" did for me. Thus far, I'm not feelin' it with this new song.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

I guess I have the unpopular opinion here in thinking that it's a great song! It's shocking to me when people are disappointed by creative arrangements, haha. This song sounds fantastic and I'm looking forward to this album - hopefully it's gonna be a lot better than the last two.

Eskimo/Venom, it sounds like you haven't heard CrashLove? You seem to be talking about DecemberUnderground like it's their most recent.

Also, I still really like STS. But maybe equally with AOD and BSIS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Haha, no, I've heard CrashLove, once or twice at least, and saw them in concert at a festival on that tour. It's just so forgettable and sucky I suppose it slipped my mind, due to the...forgettable...suckitude?

I really hate Crash Love it's probably the worst AFI album

Yeah, I'd even take most of the douchey trupunx pre-Black Sails stuff over the last two discs.

Haha, no, I've heard CrashLove, once or twice at least, and saw them in concert at a festival on that tour. It's just so forgettable and sucky I suppose it slipped my mind, due to the...forgettable...suckitude?
    Quote Originally Posted by cool 2 hate 681 View Post
    I really hate Crash Love it's probably the worst AFI album
    Yeah, I'd even take most of the douchey trupunx pre-Black Sails stuff over the last two discs.
    Damn, ultra hate for CrashLove My album ranking is as such:

1.1) Black Sails
    1.2) Art of Drowning
    1.3) Sing the Sorrow (those three are pretty close to tied, though)
    2) CrashLove
    3) DecemberUnderground
    4) Very Proud of Ya, Shut Your Mouth, Answer That

Basically, BSIS/AOD/STS are albums I frequently will listen to on their own, or all three in a row. CrashLove I will occasionally listen to on its own, but it often makes it into my AFI playlists. DecemberUnderground never gets listened to on its own, but does make it into playlists. The three early albums pretty much never get listened to at all. I'd actually probably be content if BSIS/AOD/STS were the only AFI albums in my collection, to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I didn't think Crash Love was bad, just really, really boring. I don't think i've listened to it much after a month after its release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

but a lot of the songwriting on it just went way into that "we sound like all the other emo bands that are starting to get popular in 2002/2003" vibe.
    I wish lots of other bands could pull off such an impressive album. It's their peak for me. BS and AOD are great, but it's clear they haven't mastered it all musically. On DU and CL they are trying different things with questionable results.

STS is definitely solid, and it's kind of still bridging their classic two albums with the newer "not for me" stuff, it's still recognizably very AFI which I like. And the arrangements are good. It's just the point where the "you're losing me" elements started to creep in.

Default New song, kids!