Page 71 of 81 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 802

Thread: A.F.I. (A Fire Inside)

  1. #701
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    8,902


    Default

    I question whether one can get into those albums once past teenage years. I was a very non-angry teen and still found release in those angry, misunderstood lyrics and aggressive fast-paced punkrock edging hardcore. But I love Very Proud of Ya to this day. This Secret Ninja, File 13, Charles Atlas, all those fast angry songs have their own charm. Early AFI is the only hardcore type music I like.
    and no wonder hearts and minds have been won

  2. #702
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,621


    Default

    Well, for me, The Offspring or Green Day's evolution seemed more natural and organic than from what I see in AFI. The Offspring can still produce the exact same feel and greatness that was their early music, but with a few weird songs hear and there. Just like Trust In You sounds like it can be a song on Smash.

    But with AFI, do they really still produce any music today that sounds like it can be placed on Answer That and Stay Fashionable? Maybe I'm over-thinking this, as I was always under the impression that AFI were just some terrible band I should ignore, and then I found this. Crazy stuff.

  3. #703
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,174


    Default

    Maybe Offspring's evolution wasn't as drastic (but ONLY because of a couple songs on rfrg... splinter, co1 and even americana sound nothing like s/t), but Green Day's and Linkin Park's definitely were. However, AFI's change doesn't even compare to that of the Goo Goo Dolls... there's a band that's hard to believe their first album was the same guys as their most recent. Like, whoa. (In case anyone cares, listen to this: first album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDUZI...eature=related
    last album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wOLQ...eature=related)

    And I think you're biased because you don't like AFI's later stuff. If you've actually heard all their albums, you'd probably hear the clear and obvious evolution that people like Sanni and I hear.

    They've come a loooooong way since Very Proud of Ya, and I truly felt like it was not only a natural progression, but a very good one for a while. Davey realized he could do more with his voice besides yell at the same pitch for 3 minutes straight, and the band as a whole realized they could write more intricate music. I'm not really sure what has happened with these last two albums... pretty average stuff... but damn, they really nailed it there in those "in between" years.
    Last edited by Llamas; 10-02-2009 at 07:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  4. #704
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    4,723


    Default

    Goo Goo Dolls' transformation has always fascinated me. But you can't talk about a change without mentioning Sugar Ray.

    Sorry about my lack of AFI talk. I know almost nothing about them, but mizz murda wuz kewl lol
    My myoosik:

    The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

  5. #705
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    4,135


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    Maybe Offspring's evolution wasn't as drastic (but ONLY because of a couple songs on rfrg... splinter, co1 and even americana sound nothing like s/t), but Green Day's and Linkin Park's definitely were. However, AFI's change doesn't even compare to that of the Goo Goo Dolls... there's a band that's hard to believe their first album was the same guys as their most recent. Like, whoa. (In case anyone cares, listen to this: first album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDUZI...eature=related
    last album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wOLQ...eature=related)

    And I think you're biased because you don't like AFI's later stuff. If you've actually heard all their albums, you'd probably hear the clear and obvious evolution that people like Sanni and I hear.

    They've come a loooooong way since Very Proud of Ya, and I truly felt like it was not only a natural progression, but a very good one for a while. Davey realized he could do more with his voice besides yell at the same pitch for 3 minutes straight, and the band as a whole realized they could write more intricate music. I'm not really sure what has happened with these last two albums... pretty average stuff... but damn, they really nailed it there in those "in between" years.

    Green Day sounds almost the same, they just added more melodic stuff, and piano, and became kinda assholes...

    AFI's first albums- very proud, answer that and shut your mouth- are very... BORING and generic. Men, If I wanted hardcore, I would listen Pennywise.

    The real real change came in All Hallows EP- Black sails on the sunset, that made AFI a horror hardcore punk band, and they went to awesomeness in The art of drowning and sing the sorrow... but they became mainstream
    Xbox live: Ninty Man UNAM

    About which women would you sleep with

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    So you're choosing pornstars because you assume they'll be the ones least repulsed by the thought of having sex with you?

    This is the only reason I can think of. Man it must suck to be a fjeldabe.

    Me? My answer is the virgin mary, preferably pre-birth although that would ruin the mythos.

  6. #706
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,174


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randman21 View Post
    Goo Goo Dolls' transformation has always fascinated me. But you can't talk about a change without mentioning Sugar Ray.

    Sorry about my lack of AFI talk. I know almost nothing about them, but mizz murda wuz kewl lol
    haha oh God I forgot about Sugar Ray!! They were soooooooo bad before they "sold out"... and yet I totally dig some of their early stuff, like Mean Machine and Speed Home California... haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  7. #707
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    sweden
    Posts
    3,144


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninty Man View Post
    AFI's first albums- very proud, answer that and shut your mouth- are very... BORING and generic. Men, If I wanted hardcore, I would listen Pennywise.
    I generally agree. But I do think that "shut your mouth..." has several good songs. My favorite AFI-album is Sing the Sorrow. By far! It's actually one of my favorite albums ever.

    I like the new one but I sure miss the screams. It's a bit too poppy and generic but it's still good.

  8. #708
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    8,902


    Default

    BRB LOL'ing FOREVER at somebody accusing AFI's early stuff for being generic and preferring Pennywise. Pennywise's music is the very definition of generic.

    I think what makes AFI's early stuff really stand out for me is the fact it's dark and suberbly angry.

    Oh I just noticed my Very Proud of Ya case contains Answer That and Art of Drowning discs. Oh shit my cd collection is a mess.

    I just really really really fucking hope they tour Europe extensively this time and fucking come to Finland. Though if they just make Sweden this time I'm going no matter what.

    Man, I was just thinking about what the best AFI album is and I personally think Art of Drowning but I remember so many fuckers complaining about that album when it came out, saying it didn't compare to Black Sails. Just shows people love to complain. All.the.damn.time.
    and no wonder hearts and minds have been won

  9. #709
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,646


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    I just really really really fucking hope they tour Europe extensively this time and fucking come to Finland. Though if they just make Sweden this time I'm going no matter what.
    I saw AFI in Germany when I went to see The Offspring with Tijs and company. They were pretty good, but damn short setlist. But Total Immortal got me really going!

  10. #710
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,174


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    BRB LOL'ing FOREVER at somebody accusing AFI's early stuff for being generic and preferring Pennywise. Pennywise's music is the very definition of generic.
    AHAHAH I missed that before! So true... whether or not AFI's early stuff is generic, PENNYWISE is the go-to comparison?? Pennywise is the most generic "punk" band to have graced the last two decades. oh my god, rofl.

    I just really really really fucking hope they tour Europe extensively this time and fucking come to Finland. Though if they just make Sweden this time I'm going no matter what.
    I'd love to see AFI... I'll join in hoping for an extensive Europe tour

    Man, I was just thinking about what the best AFI album is and I personally think Art of Drowning but I remember so many fuckers complaining about that album when it came out, saying it didn't compare to Black Sails. Just shows people love to complain. All.the.damn.time.
    Yeah isn't that always how it goes? Nothing is ever good enough... and when DU came out, people bashed it left and right, but now people are saying Crash Love doesn't compare to DU... wtf?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    I saw AFI in Germany when I went to see The Offspring with Tijs and company. They were pretty good, but damn short setlist. But Total Immortal got me really going!
    Total Immortal is such a great AFI song
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •