Thread: Irish dance...

Default Irish dance...

... with a twist.

Does anybody here do Irish dance? How hard is it to learn if you've done other dances before (ballet, modern, ...)?

(Granted, this may not look a patch on Riverdance, but it's not supposed to emulate it, I don't think).
    Last edited by Duskygrin; 11-02-2015 at 02:31 PM.

I did it for a few months when I was young. The basics aren't very hard, but I think it is quite difficult to get to a professional stage. A few of my friends would have done it for years, and one of them got to international competition level, but that involved training every day for a few hours.
    It takes a lot of coordination. I'm not sure how much ballet could help it (except perhaps with balance). I did ballet for a number of years, but it didn't seem to help much for me.

Thanks. I looked the whole thing up and from what I gather there are a number of similarities in the movements, only the technique differs quite a lot. There are even moves directly derived from ballet (scissors, ...).

In Irish dance you start in fourth for the basic moves so ballet would help with the turnout. Also any ability to do entrechats and stand on pointe would be helpful. But while in ballet you have to lend with bent knees (pliés) in Irish dance it seems you have to keep your legs straight and mind you end up on the balls of your feet. I tend to do that in ballet and have the teacher remind me of that every single time but I can't really help it as I've been wearing high heels for more than a decade on an everyday basis (so the tendons shorten and harden and pliés with your whole foot on the floor becomes increasingly difficult to manage; other than that I have no flexibility issue, it's just this tendon thing).

So the technique seems entirely different, but many movements may be traced back to ballet. Generally speaking ballet is a good foundation, so it may give me a head-start but for all the other specificities of Irish dance, especially with hard shoes, I'd be starting from scratch. I can't even see myself tap dancing, I'd rather do the soft shoe variation only, if this is at all possible.
    Last edited by Duskygrin; 11-04-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Holy crap...you're a ballerina? Interesting.

1 members appreciate this post.

When I did Irish dancing I did the soft shoe variety, but I always find the hard show dancing a lot more impressive. But maybe that's just because of the sound and the toe taps and because then you can pretend you're in Riverdance

Speaking of Riverdance, Michael Flatly lives about 20 minutes away from me, and one day my dad's friend accidentally canoed through his garden

Hahaha geee that's grand! I guess when he gets mad he just starts tap dancing and you get a full show gratis.

The hard shoe thing just seems crazy to me, I can't imagine any amount of training would help me improve. Luckily I find the soft shoe variation very pretty, airily graceful, so I'm not really fussed.

Moto, I started ballet when I was 5. It's always been a hobby and obviously I'm not a fully-fledged ballerina - that would take daily training. If you just meant "you can do ballet moves" well then I'd have to answer in the positive. Then again it's not what you do but how you do it...