Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light's Conspiracy of One Review...

Default Light's Conspiracy of One Review...

Well I haven't seen a review for Conspiracy of One yet. And I figured I'd get to it before one of the Co1 bashers does. If one was already done I'm sorry. And if your tired of reviews, you don't have to read it.

Let me just say that this is currently my favorite Offspring album. While a little over produced, the songs and lyrics are very good. And I think this album had alot of mainstream potential that was not realised due to bad single choices.

Intro - One of the weaker intro's. Doesn't even need a rating.

Come Out Swinging - A good, strong starter for the album. Nice fast guitars and punching bass line. The only thing I don't like is that Dexter sounds a little strained during the chorus. Other than that, it's a solid offspring song and blends well with the album. 8/10

Original Prankster - I like the single note riff with the song. And I laugh at the "You can do it!" but other than that, it seems like they were trying too hard. I think they did a good job at mocking shock-humor. But I think they went about it the wrong way. Too over-produced and Redman's part is annoying. Bad choice for a single. Not an entirely bad song, but the start of the weaker part of the album. 5.5/10

Want You Bad - Blatantly an over-produced single. And not very Offspring-like lyrically. The overall sound is good, but way too radio-centric. And the riff is pretty much an over-used pop punk Em progression. I think they were reaching too far. But I can still get into this song from time to time. 6/10

Million Miles Away - Brilliant song. Currently my favorite Offspring song and has been for a while now. Would have worked as a single if marketed right. The 'longing to be home' lyrics are great and very well done. And I think the backing vocals in this song are amazing, especially at the very end where the 4 parts over lap. Very good chord progression and key change for the pre-chorus. Keeps it interesting. And a decent solo by Noodles. Highest point of the album for me. 10/10

Dammit, I Changed Again - Another straight-forward Offspring song with good lyrics, and a smooth sounding bridge. Not much to say about this song. I think Noodles' octave riff is a little typical, but besides that the song is real good overall. 8/10

Living in Chaos - The albums egyptian song. I think it's got a very catchy feel, and a very sing-alongable chorus. Should have been the debut single choice imo. Very radio frendly and closer to the Smash-style Offspring that mainstream people are familiar with. Pretty decent lyrics too. 8/10

Special Delivery - The only low point after Want You Bad imo. The lyrics are kinda lame. Chorus has an annoying sound too it, and the Ooga Chakka's get very old after the first few listens. Not much to say about this song, it gets skipped alot. 5/10

One Fine Day - A well done party anthem. Not their best, but this one is just plain cool. Awesome gang-bang chorus, and amusing lyrics. Good song structure and good note choices over all. The guitar in the intro is a little too crunchy for my taste, but it doesn't kill the song any. 7.5/10

All Along - A decent fast song. Not much to say. I don't like the guitars during the verse, but other than that, the song is pretty well balanced on all fronts. 7/10

Denial, Revisited - This song definatly had single potential. It could have been that late single a while after release thats a little more toned down and personal (like Self Esteem, She's Got Issues). Only would have worked as a single if better ones were chosen and pushed well before it. A very different sounding song for the band. Great overall sound, good lyrics and well placed guitars. A very great song and a good way to start winding down the album. 9/10

Vultures - Another possible single, but the music and lyric content imo kind of borders with Dirty Magic. Besides that, it's got good lyrics and sound, and pretty decent sing-along potential. Could of went somwhere, but if it did, we might not be getting to hear that new version of Dirty Magic they recorded, since these songs are so close musically and lyrically. A new version of Dirty Magic would not be needed. Besides all that, great song, great vibe and structure, and from what I understand Ron wrote it. That adds some cool points. 8/10

Conspiracy Of One - Just when you though the album was winding down, here's another spoon of fast crushing Offspring up the ass. Good rocker, with decent music. The first few notes are reminiscent of All I want, but besides that it's good. Very ambitious lyrics looking back. Good way to close out a CD with a lot of different Offspring sounds. If you're going to end an album with a lot of threads, might as well do it Offspring style. 9/10

Thats me. Peace.
    Last edited by Lightyears; 04-19-2006 at 09:29 AM.

that was a relly bad review and you forgot huck it.

That's because Huck It is not included on the actual release. Only certain imports.

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

IMO, the best review I've seen on here. I agree with you, although I listen to all of the songs equally.
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

i dont agree!come out swinging is amazing...i suppoe you did give it an 8 tho.want you bad is great,perfectly describes love.......Original prankster was a great single choice + the video is amazing-its so catchy i was singing it in school for ages.(this resulted in many a beating)-im to lazy to write any more but thats an amazing album-way better than splinter

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyears
    Conspiracy Of One - Just when you though the album was winding down, here's another spoon of fast crushing Offspring up the ass. Good rocker, with decent music. The first few notes are reminiscent of All I want, but besides that it's good. Very ambitious lyrics looking back. Good way to close out a CD with a lot of different Offspring sounds. If you're going to end an album with a lot of threads, might as well do it Offspring style. 9/10
    This was the song I started this day with. I always loved the song but I really got into it this morning (or afternoon, felt like morning though). Somehow I just love the straight way the song has been set up, and the repeating of the lyrics really adds something extra to the song.
    * !

igniton/pyro is a complete idiot. Always ignore him.

Anyway, this is a really great review. You provided some good insight on these songs! I'm glad so many people agree that Living In Chaos should have been the lead single. Bringing something NEW to the public would have made people stand up and recognize them even if they didn't like the song. Original Prankster was blatant repetition.

Anyway, good review!
    Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    Wait, now you're trying to tell us the clitoris exists?

Well, that's a good review, but I would have given Vultures a 10/10 and Million Miles Away a 8/10. I agree with what you said of "Living in chaos"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ♪ ♪ Wasting away..the world's right in front of me, funny you should say, that is all in my head ♫♫
    "You people are irresistible!" - Dexter Holland, 31st October 2008, Buenos Aires
    click here

Good Review. I like how you made some comments about the lyrics if they stood out, or sucked, but otherwise left them out. That's the way it should be done. Analyzing the lyrics is a whole different ball game.

"Vultures" bugged me because it was so similar to "Dirty Magic." But I definitely agree with you that the album might have gone a lot farther commercially with different single choices. Releasing "Million Miles Away," clearly one of the best songs on the album, at the very last seemed more like a desperate afterthought than giving the single what it was really worth.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street