Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tolerance in Schools

Default Tolerance in Schools

Should it be mandatory for schools to teach tolerance (religious, sexual) in the classrooms?

Some sort of class about other cultures is necessary for any well-rounded education. As long as the lessons are unbiased, hopefully tolerance will follow. But we cannot expect to enfore it.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

Tolerance is crucial, and people aren't getting enough. The media (almost all media, whether it's considered biased or not) is part of the reason for this. We link a lot of things in our minds because we see them on the news or read them in the newspaper or online.

So yes, I think schools should have mandatory classes about other cultures (taught in an unbiased way, while we're dreaming) to dispel all of these prejudices.

You cannot teach tolerance. What a school can do is educate the students on different cultures and hope that understanding and knowledge will balance out the ignorance it takes to be intolerant.

The second thing they can do is crack down on intolerance inside their halls.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Tollerance is bullshit. "I tollerate you." Tollerance is just skeezy politically correct Tipper Gore types trying to force people to tollerate, if not accept, diversity.

Instead of teaching tollerance they should just start arresting people who are intollerant. Harsh I hear you say? Exactly. The fuckers would drop like flies. If you locked up every irresponsible member of the media or teacher/parent/peer the message of intollerance would never get through, and another parasite would be out of our way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And God, 'tollerance', what a stupid word. What do we do when we tollerate something? We put up with it, we secretly hate it but let it be. Fuck tollerance, you need to get rid of xenophobia and idiocy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xenophobia and idiocy are natural traits, there's no reason to get rid of it. What we need to get rid of are people who institute thought crimes through brainwashing tollerence courses.

I tolerate you dyslexics, but it doesn't mean I have to like you.

For some reason, the Finnish word for "tolerate" seems to hold this meaning that you not only tolerate but also accept, whereas the word in English just means "to stand/to put up with" to me.

Peculiar.
    and no wonder hearts and minds have been won

Quote Originally Posted by Vera
    For some reason, the Finnish word for "tolerate" seems to hold this meaning that you not only tolerate but also accept, whereas the word in English just means "to stand/to put up with" to me.
    For this reason, Finland rocks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]