Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is feminism dying?

Default Is feminism dying?

As women are gradually starting to get better roles in society (although still far from equal) the radical feminist movement that used to be well to be huge and widespread is almost invisible. Maybe it's because of the success of Britney Spears and the media's exploiting women, or maybe it's because, at least in the US, we're at war so people are conceding when it comes to protesting their domestic problems. Whatever it is, how come you chics aren't going fucking wild anymore?

The second wave of feminism did more to destroy feminism than it did to really make progress. And it made a lot of progress, so that's really saying something.

Now, I think feminism is mutating. It's much more concerned with gender issues and gender theory--not just females anymore. The radicalism that alienated everyone and pit woman against woman is gone, but the spirit is still there. Look at the March for Women's Lives. The biggest march on Washington EVER from ANYONE. The rash of underreporting the attendance and attempts to brush it off as just another bunch of women complaining about something shows that feminism is just as needed today as it ever was.

As far as Britney goes, I think a lot of women see her as powerful--it's her body, she's doing what she wants with it. Though I don't feel especially grateful that this is how a woman's power is defined, I suppose it is *a* power.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Women have an amazing gift when it comes to baking various pies.
    omg sigged fuck you

I'm surprised feminists don't despise Britney. She flaunts her body to sell records for a male-run industry. (And let's face it, every female popstar has a man who tells her, basically what to do, at least in the beginning.) That's really the opposite of female liberation.

I think feminists like Andrea Dworkin and Kathryn McKinnon effectively killed any serious thought behind the feminist movement for the average society. A pity, because feminism is still needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Do you think women are linguisticly suppressed?
    omg sigged fuck you

Quote Originally Posted by sKratch
    Do you think women are linguisticly suppressed?
    That depends on what that means. Cause I ain't got a clue.

I heard the bra burning thing was actually just about media taking two things and attaching them to each other in a weird way. Like that feminists took off their bras and some other people burned something around the time when the feminism demonstration took place.
    and no wonder hearts and minds have been won

I'm not talking about 1960s feminism - that wasn't feminism, it was aimless rebellion. I'm talking Emma Goldman? Where the fuck are the Emma Goldmans of our generation?

It is true that feminism's becoming more literary, but the lack of radicals really does hinder progress.

hmm or another Aleksandra Kollontai.

I definitely recommend her work "Life of a Sexually Liberated Woman"

She's hot.