Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: College Selection Process

Default College Selection Process

If you're in college, how did you choose it? I am having serious issues trying to pick out where I want to go. I know I'll be getting quite a few scholarships due to my exemplary community service habits, but tuition will still play a role, although I'm mostly unlimited when it comes to college choice. So there inlies the question, Where to go?

Anyone in college, can you give me tips what exactly I should look for, and how you made your selections? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you in advance if you reply.

i went to the place where i was offered a job.

as for grad school, though, i basically looked for the schools with the best professors that also had interdiciplinary groups working in areas that intrest me (complexity, evolutionary algorithms, the physics of information/computation, nanocomputations (using dna to compute, etc), and quantum algorithms/cryptography/programming).

for you: step one: figure out what you want to do. step two: find the schools doing that. step three: pick the top five, apply to those.

Lightbulb

The New York Times is here to help.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

collages? Holy crap, no offense, but I thought you were 13 untill I looked at your profile. I can't help you, I'm trying to find one myself and am having trouble finding a good one with a music program for percussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    ... I can't believe I have noodlesfan's dick in my fucking photobucket.

My job actually involves calling highschoolers and asking what they're looking for in a college.

Some of my personal factors:

The school I go to is number one in the US in what I came here for (I was going to finish a degree in the biological sciences and do research at a university- we're the number one research school in the US).

Campus/location. The thing that really roped me in was the campus itself. I wanted a big school (this happens to be the biggest in the US), located in a big city (minneapolis works out nicely). I liked the layout of the campus, how well it is maintained, the architecture... basically this is important so that I enjoyed going to class and didn't feel I was stuck in a drab campus where I hated the classrooms and walking around. So I picked a gorgeous campus.

Cost. It was the only school that was out of state that I looked at, and Minnesota has a reciprocity program with Wisconsin where we pay in-state tuition to go to schools in either state, no matter which state you're from. I didn't want to pay out of state tuition, though.

Credibility. I wanted to go somewhere with a strong name. "Oh! You got your degree from the University of Wisconsin in Fon Du Lac? Yeah, uh where's that?" Didn't want that. I wanted it to be a school that potential employers recognized as something strong.

Activities. I personally wanted a school with a credible marching band, strong music program so I could continue to stay involved without being a music major, a tennis club so I could keep playing without being a division 1 athlete, and science clubs. I chose a school with a 300 member marching band, a strong music performance school with 4 concert bands, intermural tennis in addition to a tennis club, and over 300 student clubs and organizations (I joined ecology club and forensic science club).

Some other factors I've heard from highschoolers:

Good dorms/dining services.

On campus jobs/good rates of pay.

Scholarships.

Party school (yes, people have actually said that... one guy said that was his sole factor!)

I hope that helps! Sorry it's so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Actually, I'm strongly considering West Virginia University. I want a school with a Social Work major, since that's what I want to do. They have that, and if I decide to eventually switch to another major, like Broadcast News; they have it. They offer a minor in Theatre with an emphasis in acting. Anthropology, Psychology, Sociology, they have my majors. The problem is it's out-of-state, costing $14,000, not counting scholarships that may help pay. It has a Big Ten football team, with a student section. It's a party school. They have community service extracurriculars, including Circle K. They have the sorority I can be a legend at, Sigma Kappa. Then there is Penn State, which'll only cost about $8,000/semester. They don't offer the Social Work major, but they have a student section. It's a familiar school. But then there are SO MANY other schools besides those two that I could choose from. My problem is that my options are too open. I just can't pick it.!

By the way, Mota Boy, thank you for that resource soooooo much!

Penn State has a Big Ten football team... West Virginia doesn't... it might be Division 1, but they're not in the big ten.

$6000 is a loooot more to pay each year ($24000 total!)... but if you really want to go for social work for sure, it might be worth it. Definitely look into scholarships.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Isn't it about 3 years until you need to chose?
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

My first uni was down the road and had a good rep. My second uni was further down the road but I could study law there.

I don't think uni choice seems to matter as much in Aus as it does in USA.

^ same here. Also, Canadian universities aren't as expensive.

I know I'll be studying in a good university and when I'll finish I won't have an enormous dept.