Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Take it like a man

Camilamazed Guest

Default Take it like a man

My questions:

"All your bows won‘t make it any better"
    1) is bow similar to effort, I mean in the context?

"You need us to get a life"
    2) Does it mean that the person depends on someone else to achieve his goals?

"So you‘d best go along"
    3) Is it something like "You'd better go along"?

"Your life‘s a throw"
    4) Didn't get much this sentence. Does throw here mean "chance" or "waste of time"?

I got this extract below from songmeanings.net. Do you agree with it???

"Everyone knows you've got to fit into the mainstream so save your woes"

This line explains it all... It's about how in order to get ahead you have to be like everyone else and do what the media says

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Errr, I don't know this song well, so I don't get the context of numbers 1,2, and 4. You've got three correct, though.

And, about the quote from songmeanings.net, I don't think the person believes that, and I surely don't think the Offspring believes that (I know I don't). I think I know exactly what it means, but I just can't say it the way I want to.

EDIT: It's like "this is how it is, but not how it should be."

I don't know why, but I love the threads like these.
    Last edited by randman21; 10-31-2006 at 08:48 PM.
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

Camilamazed Guest

Quote Originally Posted by randman21 View Post
    I think I know exactly what it means, but I just can't say it the way I want to.
    Please, let me know.

I don't know why, but I love the threads like these.

I hope it's not sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Camilamazed View Post
    I hope it's not sarcasm.
    Oh, it's 4 r34lz.
    My myoosik:

"All your bows won‘t make it any better"
    I think this refers to the bows and gifts you give to the deceased at funerals.

As far as the rest of the song, I'm not entirely sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    Wait, now you're trying to tell us the clitoris exists?

Southern California (Irvine/Moreno Valley)

1. Um... I'm not quite sure. Here's what I think: if you're bowing, you're kind of submitting to someone. So, despite how often he conforms to the wills of others in order to get ahead in his life, it's really not going to get any better because of his conformity.

2. Pretty much. He needs other people to tell him what his life would be like--be it family, friends, or just society in general dictating what exactly it is he should do.

3. Yup. Conform, conform, conform.

4. Urm... I'm not all too sure either. I'm trying to link it with the previous line, "... it's like playing with fire..." and failing miserably. I probably shouldn't do that... but, anyway, for the most part, your interpretation of it sounds about right, as in something that you can throw away or extinguish easily.

And to the post somewhere above me, no duh the Offspring don't mean that. It's sarcastic.
    ________
    HERBAL STORE
    Last edited by Short_Attention_Span; 05-03-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Camilamazed Guest

EDIT: It's like "this is how it is, but not how it should be."

I think this refers to the bows and gifts you give to the deceased at funerals.
    I got it, but (in the song) maybe it means that it doesn't matter what you do, you situation won't change?

Short_Attention_Span
    Thank you.

Also Rick and randman.

Quote Originally Posted by Short_Attention_Span View Post
    1. Um... I'm not quite sure. Here's what I think: if you're bowing, you're kind of submitting to someone. So, despite how often he conforms to the wills of others in order to get ahead in his life, it's really not going to get any better because of his conformity.

2. Pretty much. He needs other people to tell him what his life would be like--be it family, friends, or just society in general dictating what exactly it is he should do.

3. Yup. Conform, conform, conform.

4. Urm... I'm not all too sure either. I'm trying to link it with the previous line, "... it's like playing with fire..." and failing miserably. I probably shouldn't do that... but, anyway, for the most part, your interpretation of it sounds about right, as in something that you can throw away or extinguish easily.

And to the post somewhere above me, no duh the Offspring don't mean that. It's sarcastic.
    I'll let the EDIT speak for itself on that one.

About #1, the "bow" thing, I thought about what you said, too, but the word is bow, which rhymes with "go", not the bow that sounds like "how".

And #4, I think you were right. It has to tie in with the previous line, or else it's just a random, non-sensical phrase.
    My myoosik:

Meaning, like, he's saying that in the world, you have to conform to a certain standard of behavior or whatever. The world is that way, but it shouldn't be.
    My myoosik:

Camilamazed Guest

And #4, I think you were right. It has to tie in with the previous line, or else it's just a random, non-sensical phrase.
    I do that too, otherwise my translations would be terrible and totally nonsense.

the "bow" thing, I thought about what you said, too, but the word is bow, which rhymes with "go"
    Thanks for the heads up. I didn't pay attetion to that. So the "bow" we're talking about means Bend or curve, right? Therefore, "All your bows won't make it any better" probably means that (again) it doesn't matter what you do, nothing will change. Right?