Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Social Security?

Default Social Security?

I can't wait for Bush to fix Social Security the way he's fixed Iraq and the economy and the environment and terrorism. Then I'll really feel safe!

What kind of Social Security (government run program for the retired elderly) do you have in your country?

You don't think about retirement, are you?

me or Noodles?
    If you are meaning me:
    I don't quite understand you post.
    and
    I will destroy you.

My Mom retired this year, and my Dad is retiring next year, long before Bush's actions (I should say Congress' actions, as per Bush) will take effect. But I also have kids, family, a shitload of friends, and a whole country that I care deeply about. This issue does concern me, and it should concern you, if you live in the US.

If you don't live in the US, then I'd like to know what kind of system you have for retirees in your country.

I think to answer these questions- you need to go to the heart of what this program was created for in the first place -it was never intended to be the sole source of retirement income for anyone- but simply insurance in case of massive failure of the stock system, etc. Enron would be a great example of social security being the safety net for all those that lost their other retirement savings in Enron.

Social Security was created after the great depression to insure those that saved wisely, but, to no fault of their own, lost everything to an economic catastrophe would still have something to eat and not lose their shelter.

I think THAT is where the reform needs to be- remove the extraneous disability for dependents etc from it, make it needs based.

Go back to what it was supposed to be- a safety net, and that is all.

As for mine country, we barely have a government. And only thing that they can organize is an ineffectual president selection…btw, "we" are still hosting some Hague convicts, who are receiving
    Regular retirement from our government (How strange is that?!?!?)

8. Default

this is some information i got on the social security system in Canada.

Almost all of today’s seniors receive income from Canada’s Public Pensions. Basic financial support is also available to survivors and to people who become too disabled to work and their children. Income Security Programs delivers these pensions and benefits through the Old Age Security (OAS) program and the Canada Pension Plan (CPP).

more info:
    http://www.sdc.gc.ca/en/gateways/nav...gram/isp.shtml

~mandy~
    "I'm just a sucker with no self-esteem!"
    Jake's Offspring Site

http://jakesoffspring.com

Dave's Offspring Page:

http://listen.to/offspring

Dave's Offspring Board:

http://dvzoffspringbbs.proboards44.com
    Hi, I'm Mandy Moo

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles
    I can't wait for Bush to fix Social Security the way he's fixed Iraq and the economy and the environment and terrorism. Then I'll really feel safe!

What kind of Social Security (government run program for the retired elderly) do you have in your country?
    Hey...I haven't post anything yet since I became a member so "Hi" to all of you.
    About Noodels's question: Russia has a goverment programm for retired. goverment collects money say from each of your paycheck all your life till your retired ( and it's good part of paycheck I'll say) and when you'll retire you should receive payments monthly. But by the time you will retire inflation e ats all those funds you've invested in your retirment plan and you'll end up with pretty much nothing. And as of that not bad enough, goverment has no funds to cover current payments so pretty much most of elderly gets payments say now they should have December payment and they will receive august payment. There is much more to this story about paychecks, sick days pays, maternity leave and etc but it's to long . I can go on and go on so if you want ask but it is way to long and depressing to just type it all at ones

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles
    If you don't live in the US, then I'd like to know what kind of system you have for retirees in your country.

Hahaha! So you haven’t heard about England's supposed system!

Well basically; employers and workers must put aside their own money that they earn towards their pension (which should aim to be approx. 7 – 10% of a workers pay, apparently.) Then when they are forced into compulsory retirement at 65 they live off this money, which similarly to the bloke from Russia ^^ is paid back to them. Methinks they might get some from the government as well but it’s like a tiny amount, if any. There is now a massive shortage of money for elderly people, so the government, in it's infinite wisdom, have merely said for people to put more away whilst they're still working.

It’s too early for me to explain properly, so someone is bound to correct me.

NB. Noodles don't get offended by my name; it was in jest and the archaic sense of the word.
    Last edited by Noodles is gay; 12-23-2004 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Because I can.