Thread: Iced Earth

Default Iced Earth

American metal at its finest.

I'm convinced that these guys haven't been beaten, even by the mighty Megadeth or Pantera, as crowning American heavy group. They definitely have their roots in classic metal (and you can see it's still Jon Shaffer's basis for this band) like Maiden and Priest, but they've always had an element of thrash and power stylings too (more power these days, I guess).

They've gone through a buttload of vocalists, all of who had their merits I guess. Tim "Ripper" Owens (ie. the guy they made a movie about, the part-time Judas Priest cover band singer who actually got hired to replace Halford in Priest after he left) is the current one, very high vocal range and basically shrieking old-school sounding stuff. Matt Barlow, the guy before him, is my favourite, totally unique sounding, more gruff and deep like Hetfield or whatever, only less retarded and chimp-like.

Schaffer has a reputation for being an asshole, but screw it, the guy's an amazing musician, writing most of this stuff himself. His epics like "Gettysburg" and "Dante's Inferno" are complete masterpieces, and he's a complete shredder on rhythm guitar. Aside from him and the vocalist the band lineup seems to change on every record though, which sucks.

HAY AGAIN. Yes, Iced Earth are awesome. Better than BG imo. *thinks of something to add*.... Well, I'm looking forward to the new album.

....and live they are fucking amazing!

https://play.spotify.com/album/4x8xN1DzJaDe3kOxw302hN

Holy BALLS.

Just...fucking wow. Schaffer, you sonofabitch, you've come out of your slow, chunky-riff ballad funk. Between this and Dystopia? Jebus. This is heavier than I expected, even though I knew it'd be more intense than Dystopia. You and your new Canadian vocal-monkey destroy. Sure, he's still imitating both Barlow and Owen's vocal style, some mix of both, but by now kind of making the songs his own too. And he has a crazy range, snarls to screams to melodic singing, does it all.

Eep. *Headbangs into a crippled, paralyzed stupor*
    Last edited by Eskimo; 12-29-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Become a wolf!
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    https://play.spotify.com/album/4x8xN1DzJaDe3kOxw302hN

Holy BALLS.

Just...fucking wow. Schaffer, you sonofabitch, you've come out of your slow, chunky-riff ballad funk. Between this and Dystopia? Jebus. This is heavier than I expected, even though I knew it'd be more intense than Dystopia. You and your new Canadian vocal-monkey destroy. Sure, he's still imitating both Barlow and Owen's vocal style, some mix of both, but by now kind of making the songs his own too. And he has a crazy range, snarls to screams to melodic singing, does it all.

Eep. *Headbangs into a crippled, paralyzed stupor*
    Are you Venom Symbiote?