Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mota Boy's Thought of the Day

Lightbulb Mota Boy's Thought of the Day

Theory: Michigan is the worst state in the union.

Evidence:

1) Detroit: even as far south as its southern longitudinal equivalent, it's a synonym for shit. No, seriously: no Detroit.

2) The license plates. The license plates the license plates the license plates. I've noticed it before - well over a year before, but upon driving down to New Orleans and back this past extended weekend, I personally passed no less than eight and possibly as much as twelve Michigan plates in Mississippi and Louisiana alone. This is getting ridiculous.

I live in the South and I happen to observe the license plates of people that I pass (and I normally drive at speeds that causes me to pass a lot), and Michigan appears much more often tan it normally should, given the population and distance. In fact, a month ago I brought it up with other friends of mine, who all readily agree - the Michigan plate is a standout. All Michiganders are looking for any excuse possible to leave their state - the proof is right on our nation's highway system.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

I was once told that each State prints a little "message" on it's license plates - is this true? If so, what's Michigan's message to the world?
    "I don't cut my grass. I threaten it."

You also forgot that Michael Moore is from Michigan. That's like -100 points alone.
    "I'll die before I surrender, Tim".

Oh I wish and wish again, that I was back in Michigan!
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Oh god, the license plate thing. Way too blue.

A lot of really great hip-hop comes out of Detroit (Royce Da 5'9 and Slum Village just to name a few), so that's +1,000 pts. But then againm Kid Rock is from there
    Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    Wait, now you're trying to tell us the clitoris exists?

so i guess it's a good thing i decided to go to davis instead of umich, huh?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnholyNightbringer View Post
    I was once told that each State prints a little "message" on it's license plates - is this true? If so, what's Michigan's message to the world?
    Several states, in their multiple designs, have their state mottos emblazoned on their license plates (my own joke about Arkansas' is that we used to be the "Land of Opportunity" until we realized that nobody else was buying it, so we switched to "The Natural State" because it's a polite way of saying that there's nothing there). Michigan's standard plate is solid blue with tiny block letters, so it not only stands out, but it causes everyone (or me at least) to subliminally associate it with the cold, frozen north.

I do hear surprisingly good things about U Michigan and surrounding towns, but it's generally put in the context of an isolated liberal hotspot, which - hell - even Arkansas has.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

i was going more for the strong physics department and in particular the center for the study of complex systems -- but then i found out that the cscs was pretty much dead and davis' center for computational science and engineering (titles sound different, i know, but they're really very similar) is rising fast and just got two new supercomputers, so i figured i'd go there.

Lightbulb

Oh, by the way - I saw a couple more MI plates yesterday, including one with a motto. I followed it for a couple blocks, trying to get close enough to read the motto before I realized that I'd have to give the owner a very silly explanation for why I'd just smashed into the back of his vehicle if he suddenly slammed on the breaks.

I still don't understand why there's a disproportionate amount of Michigan cars around the country. I like to think that it's partly due to the fact that Detroit is the birthplace of the automobile, but I think they just try to spend as much time as possible out of state. Other people I've mentioned this to in Nashville have also noticed it. What about in your neck of the woods?