Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much do you drink, when you do drink?

Default How much do you drink, when you do drink?

This is something me and my friend were discussing recently, as when she was at the doctor she was asked how much she would drink on average, and was told that she has a problem with binge drinking as she drinks maybe once every 2 weeks, and has a bottle of wine on each occasion.

Binge drinking is defined as having more than 3 drinks in one sitting.... which means that every time I drink, I binge drink. I was always of the opinion that binge drinking involved maybe more than 6 pints in a sitting!

On average, I would go out once a week or two weeks (this is going to be greatly reduced soon due to college though), and I would drink about 3-4 pints of beer (usually 5-6% weissbier) followed by 2 or 3 whiskeys.

I know that at home this is normal enough - but then again, with living in Ireland that isn't exactly surprising!

Is this way over the limit for other nationalities? Am I fulfilling a stereotype? Or is this just health organisations being very cautious in their approach?

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    On average, I would go out once a week or two weeks (this is going to be greatly reduced soon due to college though), and I would drink about 3-4 pints of beer (usually 5-6% weissbier) followed by 2 or 3 whiskeys.

I know that at home this is normal enough - but then again, with living in Ireland that isn't exactly surprising!

Is this way over the limit for other nationalities? Am I fulfilling a stereotype? Or is this just health organisations being very cautious in their approach?
    I had a similar situation happen to me when I was younger. I told my doctor I had 5 rum and cokes that week (probably an understatement for the time period) and she looked at me as though as I was shooting up heroin. She told me that anything over 4 was considered binge drinking. In her defense, every time I have looked up scientific publications regarding negative effects of alcohol, the worst effects are usually seen in those who drink large amounts of liquor in one sitting vs. spread out throughout the week (or none at all). But in longitudinal studies, moderate drinkers also tend to live longer than those who abstain, so that's something to consider.

As for filling a national stereotype, unless the people I associate with all have problems, you seem well within a normal range to me!

I go out and binge drink every other week or so, and might have scotch the other weeks, but not all. It varies from a litre of beer at each occasion to more. Maybe even a few drinks or spirits. Of course it depends on the circumstance and what accompany you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    Sometimes I love Jojan <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiralanal View Post
    Jojan is not ignorant. He is the king. You are the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    I appreciate Jojan.
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle654 View Post
    Jojan you are my favorite!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bipolar Bear View Post
    Jojan fucking owns!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    jojan's right boob = hawt
    Quote Originally Posted by Krojd View Post
    Jojan, you are awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by yarock View Post
    Jojan für den Sieg.
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    I like Jojan's signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Jojan for President!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I actually think Jojan is pretty funny in his own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJakes84 View Post
    Jojan's signature is the longest and most beloved. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    Maybe because it came from Jojan, and Jojan rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    Jojan is right
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ignition- View Post
    Jojans planer lĺter bra.

So... I definitly binge drink on family occasions

It's a weird definition... I thought binge drinking was drinking a lot of alcohol, very fast, mainly to get drunk.

On big and festive meals, with friends or family, about once a week, I will have around three or more glasses of wine. But these meals last 3 hours. So I don't actually get drunk.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but in France, we have the "apéro" which is basically a drink that you take with your friends or family before dinner. It can be one glass or more (but usually just one... since you will have wine during dinner...), accompagnied with finger food. During the summer, apéro can be every night for me. That means at least a glass of something (Pastis !) almost every evening...

On parties, I'll have around 3-5 glasses of alcohol depending on the alcohol and the length of the party.

I very very rarely get drunk (just sometimes a little bit tipsy) and never got drunk so bad that I would not know what I'm doing.

So I guess I drink a lot compared to you guys but I am definitely not considered a heavy drinker among my friends or family.

Edit: Also, I took a test made by some french health organization a few months ago that concluded that I had absolutely no problem with alcohol... But like you, from Ireland, we don't exactly have a very sober reputation...
    Last edited by Harleyquiiinn; 1 Week Ago at 09:45 AM.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

I think there is also a definition of binge drinking as drinking to get drunk, but 3 or more in one sitting also constitutes binge drinking. So, that would make everyone a binge drinker in my eyes!

In fairness, I do drink all those pints and whiskies within about 5 hours, and usually do get quite drunk. Only rarely a "no idea what happened last night" drunk though. I seem to have the problem of not being able to stop drinking once I start, despite every time telling myself "know your limits, godamit!". Never works.

These days I tend to get more drunk than I used to, I think as a means of letting loose after the stress of doing (or not doing ) my thesis.

Pity about the studies on binge drinking affecting health more than moderate drinking though...I'll have to smarten up a bit!

I drink rarely, but I suppose I technically binge drink when I do. I mean, if I'm going to drink I want to feel it a little. I haven't been actually room-spinning, nausea-inducing drunk for many, many years though. I seem to know what I'm doing these days.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    In fairness, I do drink all those pints and whiskies within about 5 hours, and usually do get quite drunk. Only rarely a "no idea what happened last night" drunk though. I seem to have the problem of not being able to stop drinking once I start, despite every time telling myself "know your limits, godamit!". Never works.
    You used to do some epic drunk posting on here. It was awesome.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    You used to do some epic drunk posting on here. It was awesome.
    The good old days. I now go straight to bed after a night of drinking. Must be the age catching up on me.

I have one beer several days per week, maybe two in the same evening. But I'm not really into getting drunk. I never really was, but I used to engage in the party scene when I was younger - mostly during college. I got really really drunk in February for Carnival, and that's probably the only time in 2014 I've been truly drunk. Got slightly so on New Years and my Birthday, which I can enjoy. Tipsy is cool, but I just genuinely don't enjoy being drunk. It's like my brain still functions and I'm fully aware of the fact that I can't control my actions and it just pisses me off. Plus it just doesn't feel very good. I honestly don't really get drinking. I'd much rather get high, which I probably do roughly 2-3 times/month.

Edit: of course, I posted before reading the thread That definition of binge drinking is absurd. Anyone who gets drunk is apparently a binge drinker. I thought a binge drinker was someone who just sits down and drinks til they pass out. And does so frequently.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    I'd much rather get high, which I probably do roughly 2-3 times/month.
    That just makes me fall asleep after like 5 minutes. Which is totally an enjoyable experience, just a rapid end to my day. It's great for getting off a night shift though and getting right to sleep.

Edit: I assumed you are talking weed, not like sniffing glue or something :P