Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate reading and I hate watching movies

Default I hate reading and I hate watching movies

Ok, that's a fairly big exaggeration, but it's partially true.

As is the case with most people, there have been many movies and books that have really stuck with me and provided inspiration. I appreciate the way a movies and books can give you a new outlook, especially when your current life has become dull. Despite this appreciation, I still struggle to have the patience and focus for either books or movies. I just can't fully invest myself into something until I know that I actually care about it. Or at least that's what I guess is part of the problem. I think the other main reason is that I have a hard time with situations in which my mind is unable to wander, particularly when the activity is not something that I'm obligated to do. The point of so many books and movies is to provoke thoughts and stir your imagination. To me, this is sort of inherently problematic, as I'm not going to be able to focus if my mind is wandering. I've made up for this deficiency with a lot of persistence, as I believe in the transformative power of books and movies. But damn is it hard for me sometimes. Strangely enough, I don't think I've ever met anyone of greater or equal intelligence that seems to have this problem to the extent that I do, which bothers me somewhat.

Anyway, I just started watching Silver Linings Playbook. It seemed like a really good movie, but I turned it off 35 minutes in. I'll watch the rest later.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

The only solution is to search for your prostate and learn how to squirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    Meet HAU, the philosopher.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Dr. Hause transcends labels. He is both human and humanity.

I understand this with regards to films anyway. If it's not a film I'm totally entrenched in, I find my mind wanders a lot, especially if I'm at home, watching it by myself.

But with books, when you find your mind going elsewhere, you can put it down and pick it back up. I find the rate at which I get through a book to fluctuate with how I'm feeling in my life at the moment. If I'm carefree, I can get through a book pretty quickly, but if my mind is clouded by other things, it can take me a while.

I believe I'm pretty much the same, Bighead. It can take me ages to read a book or finish a film because I keep stopping to do something else as inspiration comes and goes. But I've decided I'm fine with it, really. I mean, it's not like I stop in order to stare blankly into space. I'm always doing something or learning something. I figure everything I do is improving me as a person in some way so I'm happy with that. Even if my mind leaps around more than Sam Beckett.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I find the rate at which I get through a book to fluctuate with how I'm feeling in my life at the moment. If I'm carefree, I can get through a book pretty quickly, but if my mind is clouded by other things, it can take me a while.
    Interesting, I think I've tended to se this issue as a permanent, unchanging flaw, but perhaps it does indeed change a lot depending on my current level of worry and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I believe I'm pretty much the same, Bighead. It can take me ages to read a book or finish a film because I keep stopping to do something else as inspiration comes and goes. But I've decided I'm fine with it, really. I mean, it's not like I stop in order to stare blankly into space. I'm always doing something or learning something. I figure everything I do is improving me as a person in some way so I'm happy with that. Even if my mind leaps around more than Sam Beckett.
    I like your perspective on this. Actually, as I took yet another break from watching Silver Linings Playbook today (even though I found myself becoming increasingly invested in it), I remembering thinking how it's not necessarily a bad thing that I'm watching it in pieces. I also agree on your other point- that you can still be productive even when your mind has wandered. But even still, I worry that my mind sometimes wanders around so much that it simply can't be significantly productive. I think you have to learn to follow-up on your random curiosities in order for this to be beneficial. That takes some discipline and persistence. I actually think I'm getting better at all this, it's just a pain in some specific areas. I've been trying to go back and learn/re-learn world history recently, and my issues with focus make it a drag pretty often.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Oh, well with world history I've actually found it helpful to jump around wildly. Uh, not physically though, obviously. Not sure how best to put it...

I started off wanting to know everything there was to know about the 20th century. I jumped around geographically and chronologically but mostly managed to stay within the 20th century. Eventually certain things piqued my interest and I found myself going further back in time. Actually, I would have to say historical tv drama like The Tudors, The Borgias, Rome and Spartacus all went a long way towards making me realize I could be interested in more than just modern history.

So then I started learning more about pre-20th century stuff and I discovered something really awesome. I will regularly learn something new and immediately a little light goes off in my brain and I connect the new piece of information with something I already knew from modern history and suddenly I have a better understanding of everything. And the more I learn the more regularly these little moments happen. I get a glimpse of the Big Picture. And it's fucking addictive.

I think I am now, having just turned 33, more passionate about learning than I have ever been. It is literally my favourite thing to do. I find myself now wanting to know the history of everything. I want to study all the major European languages. I want to know how an internal combustion engine works. I want to understand quantum entanglement. I want to know how to make the perfect omelette. I want to learn all these things at the same time.

I believe it is my passion that causes me to jump from subject to subject. You don't really seem like a person who gets quite so excited about things as I do but I still hope it is a similar experience for you. As you said it can take a little effort and perseverance but I believe this is a wonderful way to develop a wide, fulfilling base of general knowledge. What could be better than sampling all the delightful knowledge humanity has to offer?

I didn't mention it before but I strongly related to the part where you said something like you have trouble getting into things unless you already know you care. If I read a trilogy it might take me longer to read the first book than the next two combined, simply because after the first book I am invested. But with history I've hit the point where I'm totally invested in all of it. And it's awesome.

By the way Bighead, I just want to say I'm glad you returned to the BBS. You always make thought-provoking threads.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

1 members appreciate this post.

I'm really bad at watching movies, too. I find I'm better with TV shows because they naturally end around 25-45 minutes, right when I'd normally want a break, so I can watch them at my own pace. Unless the description of a movie or the trailer is incredibly entertaining to me (like Bubba Ho-Tep), then the only time I can sit and watch and entire movie is at the theater.

I just like being on the Internet and reading/bullshitting with people far more than I enjoy watching movies.

Omni, totally agree.

I'm waaay too excited about agreeing with you. Oh well.

I find it a lot easier to watch a film in a cinema. Probably because there are no distractions about.

In general, watching stuff on my laptop is a lot harder than on a tv.

I hardly ever go to the cinema. If I'm gonna watch a movie I rather watch it at home. I feel if I go to the cinema, there is something else I could be doing instead. Also watching at movie at home you can pause, rewind, watch at your own pace. Cinema if you miss something oh well.

I love reading I have always loved it. But lately I haven't gotten truly into it. Like when I get home from work I try to read but it's like I can get through a couple pages and I'm like what's on my DVR. Could be book too that I'm not into it but I want to give it a chance.