Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Addicted

Default Addicted

I hear people saying that everyone is addicted to something these days. Does some addiction scare you at least a little bit? For me it's the computer with the internet. Sometimes, I wonder who is the boss. It's funny seeing a friend having a smartphone addiction. Fully functional people are addicted, but I guess it's the part of a modern life or are we fucked? Maybe not yet. And the best thing is not knowing you have an addiction.

Here is a great song from a great album:
    I drank from your hands I drank from your mouth you poured into me until I was drowned I had no breath was drunk on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    Meet HAU, the philosopher.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Dr. Hause transcends labels. He is both human and humanity.

1 members appreciate this post.

Nicotine. Got myself an e-cig and stopped smoking regular cigarettes. Can't stay away from the damn thing for more than half an hour.

But I didn't get it in an effort to quit smoking, just to smoke something different and maybe healthier, so it's good.

1 members appreciate this post.

I have introduced the "put your fucking smartphone in the fucking saucepan and don't touch it til you leave" rule in my house because my friends seem not to be able to have a normal conversation with real humans anymore. It's funny because they then make sure I put my phone in, even though I have a shitty nokia brick.

I don't think i have any addictions...okay, I drink way too much alcohol and can't say no to a pint.

2 members appreciate this post.

That is a smart rule because I agree, the smart phone craze is insane! I find that I am getting in trouble now for not texting back fast enough because I can't be on my phone all day (and I often forget to charge it).

Computer/internet is an easy addiction for me too. You don't even notice the hours flying by...so many cat pictures to aww at.

Cigarettes and coffee. I still do not have a smart phone and the only reason I want one is the style and big touch screen. If I get one eventually, I'll continue to use prepaid cards and not be able to access internet and such, because I refuse to let that shit happen.

I quit cigarettes, coffee, and alcohol for the first month of spring every year. Would like to permanently quit smoking, especially because if I can do it for a month, there's no reason I can't keep it up... it's dumb. I'd love to give up caffeine, but I just love the taste of coffee so damn much and decaf tastes like shit and is full of chemicals.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Dark chocolate, couple of TV series, sports (maybe not the excercise itself but the feeling afterwards).
    Turn the lights on.

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Cigarettes and coffee.
    That saddened me a little. I remember when you just smoked casually and I hoped you'd stop before you got addicted

I smoked for probably 14 or 15 years. Been smoke-free for about a year and a half now, I think. I got a nicotine spray that literally sprays liquid nicotine as a mist directly into your mouth. It was awesome. I haven't used that for probably a year now though. I still miss smoking because I really enjoyed it, but I don't really get cravings anymore.

I was addicted to carbonated beverages for about the same time period I was addicted to smoking. There was a time I could not have imagined going a day without drinking at least a litre of soda. I still allow myself one occasionally but it's probably been a month since I last did.

I made a conscious effort to get rid of all my addictions. It's going well. It's not easy, but the challenge is sort of fun in perhaps a masochistic way. Also, I tell myself I'm doing it so when the apocalypse comes I won't have any extra negative modifiers on my character sheet.

The only thing left I probably have an addiction-like problem with is food.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Now that I have a chapter deadline coming up I find myself playing the sims 3 for hours on end. Master of procrastination.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    The only thing left I probably have an addiction-like problem with is food.
    Same thing. More precisely : cheese.

So, I need to develop an addiction to sports... Because that's the only way I can eat whatever I want without turning into a whale that can walk (how cool would that be though ?).

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    That saddened me a little. I remember when you just smoked casually and I hoped you'd stop before you got addicted
    I mean, it's not terribly out of hand. Lately I've been smoking around 10 a day, which is higher than usual. Usually I'm around 5 a day, and I often go days without or with just one or two. But yeah, it's really dumb that I let it happen. I need to make the decision to quit for real, because I know I can do it.

I smoked for probably 14 or 15 years. Been smoke-free for about a year and a half now, I think. I got a nicotine spray that literally sprays liquid nicotine as a mist directly into your mouth. It was awesome. I haven't used that for probably a year now though. I still miss smoking because I really enjoyed it, but I don't really get cravings anymore.
    Yeah, that's the shitty part. I like smoking. I like the act of smoking. But I hate how I feel when I wake up. I hate smoking when I don't even really want to. The biggest issue is that I have a sensitive stomach that occasionally causes me to dry heave a bit once in a while, unprovoked... but somehow, cigarettes actually trigger it pretty often. Often happens with the first cigarette of the day, and it's the biggest reason I'd like to quit. Well done on quitting for so long! Gives lots of hope.

I was addicted to carbonated beverages for about the same time period I was addicted to smoking. There was a time I could not have imagined going a day without drinking at least a litre of soda. I still allow myself one occasionally but it's probably been a month since I last did.
    Oh man, me too!!! 5-6 years ago, I got unlimited free soda at both jobs I had, plus I kept a case or two of Mountain Dew in my fridge... I definitely drank at least a liter a day. I can't really stand the stuff anymore. I might have a can once a month now. I basically drink water, coffee, tea, and beer now.

I made a conscious effort to get rid of all my addictions. It's going well. It's not easy, but the challenge is sort of fun in perhaps a masochistic way. Also, I tell myself I'm doing it so when the apocalypse comes I won't have any extra negative modifiers on my character sheet.
    That's really awesome. It's a great feeling. It's basically just proof of your own power and self-control.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk