Page 81 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading?

Tomorrow i'll be reading Tale of Two Murders by James R. Farr

Academic take on the involvement of a judge, Philippe Giroux in 17th Century France who gets invovled in a murder/conspiracy/trial. For a history seminar; should be interesting.

Also, i hope to start and mostly finish Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad; also for a class.

Sadly, again, nothing much for pleasure these days. I'm going to skim through Watchmen this week, to get myself psyched up for the film.

Also, today i skimmed through Green Revolution by Van Jones; despite all the praise it's apparently gotten (Gore, Pelosi, Friedman) i found it to be heavily flawed.
    Last edited by jacknife737; 03-02-2009 at 12:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

The last book I read was Gomorrah by Roberto Saviano. It's an interesting book.
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

At the moment its a 100 years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. In french.
    Its a crazy book, and its pretty good. But it gets too confusing cause kids keep getting named after their father, grand father and so on so there's thousands of Aureliano's, and other similar names...

Quote Originally Posted by barangatang View Post
    I just finished reading "Speaker for the dead" I thought it was way better than Ender's game and suggest it to everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mota Boy View Post
    Warning: the books get progressively worse. I couldn't even finish Children of the Mind.
    Yeah what was the deal with all that crazy religious stuff that seeps in everywhere in the later books. Total turn-off.

That one book that is an alternate version of Ender's game based on the mouse-y kid was pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    That one book that is an alternate version of Ender's game based on the mouse-y kid was pretty good.
    Ender's Shadow? Personally, there was too much revisionist history for me. Suddenly, a formerly-minor character turns out to be the smartest guy of all, only he wasn't as good a leader of men as Ender, so it's OK, Ender's still the best. And the one encounter in which he had lines in all of the other book has to explained for an entire page because it doesn't sync up with the new protagonist Bean. I mean, come on. His name in the first book was Bean and suddenly this guy's a badass? Please.

I just realized that the name "Ender" is a subtle hint at the outcome of the book.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

Halfway through "The Watchmen." Holy fuck it's good.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Quote Originally Posted by Mota Boy View Post
    Ender's Shadow? Personally, there was too much revisionist history for me. Suddenly, a formerly-minor character turns out to be the smartest guy of all, only he wasn't as good a leader of men as Ender, so it's OK, Ender's still the best. And the one encounter in which he had lines in all of the other book has to explained for an entire page because it doesn't sync up with the new protagonist Bean. I mean, come on. His name in the first book was Bean and suddenly this guy's a badass? Please.

I just realized that the name "Ender" is a subtle hint at the outcome of the book.
    Too be honest I haven't read any of the books since I was 14. I am remembering them without the critical eye I've developed now. The religiousness bothered me, but it was better than that hippy tree religion stuff on that weirdo colony and Ender being some mythical being.

All of that was bad.

I remember thinking that Orson Scott Card was fairly good at writing entertaining characters, but religion seems to seep into everything he writes. I remember wishing I had more time to read his books from the colonial days of the US though.

Did anyone read those books about this colony on a planet that emigrated back to Earth and it was basically a retelling of Noah's arc?
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

reading *The Woods* by Harlan Coben. next up is the second Stephanie Plum book by Janet Evanovich. Then *Sundays at Tiffanys* by James Patterson.

just finished *Revolutionary Road*...thought it was quite boring and kind of "nothing" at first. forced myself to get through it and it actually is pretty good with a meaning. however, i feel the story could have been equally as effective if it was around 100 pages shorter. sort of like sometimes a movie would have been better if it was shorter...

*note, i have not see then film version of revolutionary road..

i guess it's all about the dream

The Brain that Changes itself. Well, no I'm not reading this, but I wish I was. I know someone (was it Mota Boy?) who recommended it recently, but I've been too lazy to go to a bookstore and buy it. Anyway, I don't have the time right now and it's in my list of books to read this summer along with 33254 others.

As for books I'm currently reading, they are all university-related, so that will be boring for most people, but here they are :
    - Primeval Kinship : How pair-bonding gave birth to human society by Bernard Chapais. I've actually just finished this one as I had to read it for a class given by the author, obviously...
    - Osteology books like the Human Bone Manual by White and Folkens. Really well done, but I doubt that there are many osteologists here.

Im reading Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, before that i read Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Both are absolutely fantastic