Page 131 of 146 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1452

Thread: What are you Reading?

Perdido Street Statoion - China Mieville.

Clearly a contemporary work by a contemporary author - and that's kind of the problem. Mieville shows his thirst for complexity in his desire to be considered one of the authors of a generation. As a result - unlike in Embassytown - I feel he creates an incredible world but overworks himself on a conclusion. He wants to make it too anti-cathartic and it kills the flow. Which is too bad after reading some of his other stuff.

7/10
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Dexter interviews

I just checked out a worned out copy of Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut from from my university's library. It's a 1963 first edition copy and it's been checked out 120 times. At first I thought that was pretty cool, but now thinking about it I'm kind of grossed out by it.

Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    Perdido Street Statoion - China Mieville.

Clearly a contemporary work by a contemporary author - and that's kind of the problem. Mieville shows his thirst for complexity in his desire to be considered one of the authors of a generation. As a result - unlike in Embassytown - I feel he creates an incredible world but overworks himself on a conclusion. He wants to make it too anti-cathartic and it kills the flow. Which is too bad after reading some of his other stuff.

7/10
    I've been wanting to check out Perdido Street Station for a while now, but I'll got for Embassytown next instead based on what you're saying.
    Last edited by Jebus; 10-07-2012 at 09:46 PM.

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick - I extremely enjoyed this alternative reality, or rather how well it was described. Nightmare.
    It's mostly about getting to know places and people, not much action there. But if you're okay with it, that's pretty satisfying reading.
    Last edited by personal_loans_1; 10-04-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markeric View Post
    I am reading this thread right now.
    I don't think this forum counts as a book. These posts really annoy me. Like, unnaturally so.

I've just read The Life and Loves of a She-Devil by Fay Weldon. I can't really describe why I like her books, but I do. She's so sharp and witty, and it's kind of like reading chick-lit, except for that it's from a feminist point of view...and good!

I'm currently reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac in preparation for the film coming out next week.

And I'm also reading As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. Finding the Southern dialect along with the stream of consciousness style a bit tough, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I recently finished "2001: A Space Odyssey" by Arthur Clark and it is brilliant. I am impressed. I have also seen the Kubrick film which is one of my favorites(The book was written exclusively for being Kubrick's movie) but the book is maybe the best I have read so far. The mystery of space always attract my interest and Clark's descriptions make the book much better.
    Enslave my mind...

This thread reminds me that I have only gotten through almost half of "The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory" by Brian Greene. Great book!
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Just finished On the Road.

It was....okay. I mean, I didn't dislike it, but it didn't rouse much feelings in me either. Except maybe the last two paragraphs.

Currently reading Moscow to the End of the Line by Venedikt Erofeev. It's basically a drunk guy's ramblings as he gets a train from Moscow and meets more drunk people on the way.

I'm also (still) reading The Second Sex by de Beauvoir. Think now that I've got past the more complex theory I'm liking it more.

The Dinner by Herman Koch
    Half through by now - so far nothing special.