Page 133 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1510

Thread: What are you Reading?

The Sweet Poison Cook by Arto Paasilinna, my favourite Finnish author (read: the only Finnish author I've read). Not as good as The Year of the Hare, but still really funny. I love the Finnish colloquial spirit all through the book.

Quote Originally Posted by samseby View Post
    About to start To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee
    One of the best books I have ever read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

The Cyberiad by Stanlislav Lem. It's a sci-fi/comedy collection of short stories revolving around 2 essentially god-like constructors who mostly travel the galaxy building machines/robots for people. A lot of them have kind of a fairy-tale feel to them. While this isn't true of the entire book, there are parts here and there that could almost be mistaken for Douglas Adams (The Third Sally: or the Dragons of Probability being the one that really beat me over the head with it and even includes a "probability amplifier" which has pretty much the same logic as the infinite improbability drive in Hitchhiker's Guide), which leads me to believe he probably was a fan, since this came out earlier.

I read Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami recently. What a crazy book! It was like being in a dream for the few days I was reading it! I really liked it.

I then went on to read The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans. Was pleasantly surprised, as I had heard not so great things about it. But I liked it quite a bit.

And I am now reading Post Office by Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by RageAndLov View Post
    One of the best books I have ever read.
    An excellent read indeed

My new one:
    11.22.63 by Stephen King

Bukowski's Post Office was okay, much preferred Ham on Rye, but still, parted we're funny. Maybe I needed to be in a particular mood for it.

Then re-read The Hobbit, and was actually quite surprised at how much I remembered from when I first read it about ten years ago. Still a great book.

And now I've started in David Mithchell's Cloud Atlas, in anticipation of the film.

America Again re-becoming the greatness we never weren't - Stephen Colbert.

Friggin hilarious.

Walking Dead Compendium 1 (Compilation of issues 1-48 of the comic book)...almost done, tore through it in about 2 days, have the 2nd volume at the ready.
    Rita corny, Michael

You wanna send those my way when you're done?
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

I will send them via homing pigeon page by page....its about 1000 pages total...I may run out of pigeons....but it will be done!
    Rita corny, Michael

Just finished David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas yesterday. I loved it! I was actually quite worried starting into it, because I'd somehow got the idea that it was going to be a really tough read, technically and linguistically, but it wasn't like that at all.
    The six interweaving stories all felt like they were from completely different authors and times, and everytime I neared the end of one story I would be really sad that it was ending (or pausing), but then a while later I'd be totally engrossed in the next part.

Also, apparently David Mitchell lives only half an hour from where I live, cool!

And I've now started on The Great Gatsby!