Page 136 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1421

Thread: What are you Reading?

Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post

The Alison bit was a dig - if you're going to hit Fitzgerald, ruin your senses on Tender is the Night. It is both more beautifully written and more enduring than The Great Gatsby ever will be.
    I will take that on board, although after being underwhelmed by The Great Gatsby, I'd say I'll take a while to get around to reading that - too many books on the waiting list at the moment!
    So many books, so little time

And now that I've commented, I may as well add that I finished Dubliners , which had one of the most beautfiul quotes I've ever read in it. From the story "The Dead":
    "His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.
    Sigh. Lovely.

And I've now moved onto A Clash of Kings

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower- Stephen Chbosky

I'm re-reading SkagBoys by Irvine Welsh at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Vessels View Post
    The Perks Of Being A Wallflower- Stephen Chbosky
    I read this one the other morning... First book in ages that I finished in just a few hours.

I'm currently reading Book 2 of A Storm of Swords in the Song of Ice and Fire series. Nearly finished. Great stuff. I'm sad that I'm almost finished it, as I hear A Feast for Crows isn't as good. But oh well.

I've also been reading Too Loud a Solitude by Bohumil Hrabal. Very beautifully written, and really witty too.

And I've also read Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke in the last few weeks. Better than I expected it to be, and easy to read too (which is always something that surprises me about science fiction, I'm not sure why).

Anarchy Evolution: Faith, Science and Bad Religion in a World Without God by Greg Graffin

Zoo By James Patterson

Currently finishing up the penultimate book of The Wheel of Time. I love this series, but I'm pretty relieved to be approaching the end at last.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Just finished Zeroville by Steve Erickson.

Quite enjoyable - I always like novels of this sort. Surreal description mixed with a dose of narrative and a dash of character, but really the book is dominated by its aura.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Finished I, Claudius by Robert Graves last week. Really good, and an enjoyable introduction to the Roman Empire. I especially liked the the part of the book concerning Caligula.

I'm almost finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. The cover is godawful, and I never would have picked it up myself, but a friend, and amazing reviews convinced me to finally pick it up. It's very good, although the writing is a bit "Young Adult"-ish for my liking. But I guess that's its target audience.