Page 137 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1466

Thread: What are you Reading?

Tender Is The Night by F.Scott Fitzgerald

A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin.

Firestarter by Stephen King

The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer by Philip Carlo
    Turn the lights on.

Currently reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I like it so far. A good mystery with witty and interesting characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Currently reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I like it so far. A good mystery with witty and interesting characters.
    I read it a little while ago and it was highly recommanded by a friend of mine who shares my love of Douglas Coupland so I was quite optimistic about it...

I really enjoed the story and the mystery but the book has been a little bit ruined by the fact that I couldn't stand the narrator. It's a shame that most characters around him are interesting when he isn't at all... he always does what is expected of him... and for an 18 year old, he behaves like a 40 year old man.

Still, it was nice to read.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    I read it a little while ago and it was highly recommanded by a friend of mine who shares my love of Douglas Coupland so I was quite optimistic about it...

I really enjoed the story and the mystery but the book has been a little bit ruined by the fact that I couldn't stand the narrator. It's a shame that most characters around him are interesting when he isn't at all... he always does what is expected of him... and for an 18 year old, he behaves like a 40 year old man.

Still, it was nice to read.
    I know what you mean, the narrator doesn't seem to have too much of a personality, but I really like Fermin. He makes up for it!

I can't remember if there is a comic book thread, so I am just going to talk about them here.

I basically bought a copy of All Star Superman just to lend to a co-worker. I mean, I'm glad I bought it and I want a copy of my own, but I finally got around to buying it so I could show her how amazing Superman and comics can be.

I just finished the first trade back for the new Hawkeye and the art was amazing. The story is pretty great too and I'm excited to read more of it, but man the art was good.

I'm only a dozen or so pages into The Dark Knight Returns series, but I loved Year One and I'm sure I'll love this too. More amazing art.
    I wrote a four word letter.

As for real books, I've been slowly working my way through this book of poems called Death Beds. They are Wes Eisold's poems, he's the lyricist and vocalist for one of my favorite bands, American Nightmare/Give up the Ghost.

I started reading Fahrenheit 451 legitimately for the first time and I'm really loving it. We read it in high school, or at least, we were supposed to. Anyway, I'm almost finished with it and bummed I wasn't paying attention in the first place. Though, I remember being pretty uninterested in the dystopia segment of that class because I had just read 1984 and nothing else really seemed to compare. I do remember loving Animal Farm though.

I've been looking for books on empathy, being a better person, and humanity type stuff and got a recommendation for a book of essays called How to Slowly Kill Yourself and Others in America by Kiese Laymon. I've only read the first few chapters, but I am pretty sure it is exactly the type of thing I am looking for.

If anyone else has recommendations for books like this, I'd really love to hear about them. Not so much self-help books or anything like that; books that deal with racism, sexism, homophobia, religion, culture, and all other kinds of human interaction. Non-fiction, ideally.
    Last edited by WebDudette; 08-12-2013 at 12:50 PM.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Vessels View Post
    Firestarter by Stephen King
    Ah, I remember being pleasantly surprised by that one. It felt more like one of King's better novellas rather than a novel, if that makes any sense to you.

I'm currently reading Dan Abnett's Horus Heresy after finally finishing the Wheel of Time series.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks