Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
I love how King used the Bachman pseudonym to really try out some different stuff to his usual fare. I mean, I guess that's always the point of writing under an assumed name, and in reality King didn't deviate all that far from his established genre I suppose. It's not like he started writing romance novels. Whatever. I'm digressing. Point is, King usually pleases me the most when he gets furthest away from his typical horror routine. He also really shines at novellas and short stories, which is perhaps surprising considering his novels tend to be epic tomes that go on forever. The Bachman books had a tendency to incorporate interesting sci-fi concepts done in a fairly high-brow manner, meaning the sci-fi was allegorical more often that merely gratuitous fun. Bachman could arguably be said to have more literary credibility than King, but only because King's amazing work, such as the seminal collection Different Seasons, is generally overshadowed by his supernatural fare.

Anyway, did you enjoy it?

Didn't he invent the Richard Bachman pseudonym so that he could publish more books because authors weren't really supposed to publish more than one book in a year?

I love Stephen King anyway (especially The Dark Tower series - nearly finished it) and I hear The Stand is supposed to be amazing, so looking forward to getting around to that. I don't care how many people think his fiction is low-brow, he's a damn good author.

I'm currently reading GRR Martin's A Dance with Dragons Part 1.

I'm also reading Tolkien's translation of Beowulf - I'm more looking forward to his retelling of it, Sellic Spell which is also included in the book, as I've read Beowulf enough times in the last few years.

And I've just finished Native Tongue by Suzette Haden Elgin, a novel about a future world where men reign supreme and women are second class citizens. It was very good minus the whole man-hating vibe. But other than that, there was interesting sci-fi and linguistic elements in it.