Page 144 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1466

Thread: What are you Reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post

I find that hard to judge, myself. In the books it was literally shocking in the sense that I had no suspicion it was coming. When I later watched the show I couldn't really be shocked because I knew what to expect. I just can't gauge it fairly because I can only be surprised the first time.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVEN'T READ GAME OF THRONES (You should really get to it, by the way...) :

I kind of saw it coming while reading because Catelyn insists on explaining the rule of hospitality (that we never heard of before, in 3 books) and old Frey, speaking of the wedding, says something like "Red will be poured and wrongs will be righted" so I was kind of expecting something really bad to happen. Also, Arya was getting awfully close...

Besides, it's Game of Thrones, you should always expect something bad to happen...

The TV show shocked me because there is blood EVERYWHERE. Also, it's not all the same characters. The throat opening was particulary disgusting.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

I agree the clues were there that something wasn't right but I just could never have expected what was to come. Largely because, from a storytelling perspective, it was kind of an insane choice. Don't get me wrong, I love that Martin did it, but I feel he nearly killed the whole series by doing it. All the momentum was lost. It was utterly devastating and probably as close to simulating the actual experience of sudden tragedy as any work of fiction could get. The kind of experience where you're just left sort of numbed, wondering what the fuck you're supposed to do now. Martin crafted his tale so that I thought I knew the vague shape of the story I was being told. The Red Wedding suddenly made it clear I had no idea where this was going at all, and I even had to wonder if it was going anywhere. It was just such a bold choice for an author to make. Then, in hindsight, I came to realize he probably had that planned from the start and that whole war never was the story at all. A brilliant choice but still such a risky one for an author to make.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Exclamation censorship is important

Even Ernie and Bert got some serious issues...

I've read "The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli lately, btw.
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring-Junkie View Post
    I've read "The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli lately, btw.
    How was it? I generally adore anything described as Machiavellian but I haven't been able to make myself actually read any of Machiavelli's work yet.

I love that Count video so much. Almost died the first time I saw it.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    I Think that images/movies/games are more censored because it can be definitely more shocking than reading a terrifying scene...

When you watch a movie or play a game, you're watching somebody else's vision of horror.

When you read, even if it's scary, I think your brain always makes it bearable. You create the vision.

I think it depends. Sometimes books have scared me witless, more than a film could, but its the same vise versa.

In a film its a more tangible image, but sometimes (I don't read very many scary books, or watch many scary films cause Im a pansy) when its a book you are left with your mind and they image can kind of grow and get out of control. I'm not sure if I'm even making much sense to myself here.

Re the Red Wedding - it completely shocked me in the book - and I much preferred it in the book. But I'm not sure if that's because with the tv show I knew what was going to happen (as PIB said). But I feel in the book there was more tension...maybe.

The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu.

My best friend told me about this book and she really wanted me to read it.

But what I really want to read is a horror/ scary book. I love Stephen King but his books don't scare me. Any authors or books you guys can think of I would appreciate it.

Gone with the Wind

A propagandist account if ever there was one. Fit for the dustbin. Unbelievable how some folks can happily gobble it up. "Oh, the wonder of Dixieland!" Wonder indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Vessels View Post

But what I really want to read is a horror/ scary book. I love Stephen King but his books don't scare me. Any authors or books you guys can think of I would appreciate it.
    How about some Edgar Allan Poe? Not that his stories are very scary either, but they are great!

Other than that, the only stuff that's really scared me was reading Goosebumps when I was little

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    How about some Edgar Allan Poe? Not that his stories are very scary either, but they are great!

Other than that, the only stuff that's really scared me was reading Goosebumps when I was little
    I love Edgar Allan Poe! His writing is amazing.

I read Goosebumps when I was younger too.

I don't care that the main target demographic is teenaged boys, James Patterson's "Daniel X" is a fantastic series. There's even been a manga made based on the books.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/