Page 34 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading?

Lightbulb

I recently read "Fahrenheit 451", which is a fairly good, quick read. Parts of the book seem a bit preposterous and it jumps about a lot. I continue to find old science fiction books interesting, though, because for books about the future, they give enormous insight into the mindset of the past.

I also read "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe". Fucking awful book. I have no idea how it became a classic. No character development, horrible style of narration and eyebrow-raising morals (the kids being given liquor to knock them out before heading off to bed and Santa handing out weapons, though cautioning the girls that they're not really supposed to fight).

I've yet to really start any other books, though I'm tentatively looking at "The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman and "A World on Fire: A Heritic, an Aristocrat and the Race to Discover Oxygen", a Christmas present that attempts to set up the isolation of oxygen as one of the most important scientific discoveries of the past millennium, up there with Copericus and Newton's work. I'm suspicious.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

In the past little bit I have read:

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K. Dick. ("The novel that became Bladerunner"). I enjoy science fiction, and I'd imagine this is one of the better ones out there.

"The Fall" by Albert Camus. Had read the French one and wasn't sure how good my grasp on the language was and now read the English translation and it turns out the novel is just pretty fucked up in general. But a second read was still certainly worthwhile. I adore his style of writing, but I think there is a lot more I still have to figure out about this one.

"Welcome to the Monkey House" (A collection of short stories) by Kurt Vonnegut. I immensely enjoyed this one. Maybe due to the fact that the short story format is perfect for my short attention span. And it's not even just reading one story per sitting, but being excited to start a new one right away after finishing the last. I anticipate digging into a novel or two now to see if they follow suit.

Bertrand Russel's History of Western Philosophy.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk should be read by every high school student so they can be like "dude, wtf, this sucks."

The latest Adrian Mole book by Sue Townsend, it's called "Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction". It's friggin' hilarious, I love this character and it's even more hilarious because I know people like him, who think they're all this and everything they do is all that when really they're even bigger failures in life than I am.

Also trying to read this book about culture but it's VERY heavy on academic vocabulary that I just find very difficult to grasp.
    and no wonder hearts and minds have been won

Quote Originally Posted by Vera
    it's even more hilarious because I know people like him, who think they're all this and everything they do is all that when really they're even bigger failures in life than I am.
    My thoughts verbatim.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm just about to start Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

I finished Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen a few days ago and i really enjoyed it, so i thought i'd try some other 'classic' books.
    Codename: Strawberry Shortcake

- "El coronel no tiene quien le escriba" ("No one writes to the colonel"?), Gabriel García Márquez.

- Pablo Neruda's biography, Volodia Teitelboim.
    And the truth unwinding, scraping away at my mind...

“Las palabras son así, disimulan mucho, se van juntando unas con otras, parece como si no supieran adónde quieren ir, y, de pronto, por culpa de dos o tres, o cuatro que salen de repente, simples en sí mismas, un pronombre personal (...) y ya tenemos ahí la conmoción ascendiendo irresistiblemente a la superficie de la piel y de los ojos..." (J. Saramago, Ensayo sobre la ceguera)

The Stand - Stephen King

I'm currently reading "The Writing Life" by Annie Dillard, and so far I find it extremely interesting. I've a copy of Samuel Beckett's Complete Works that I intend to have a go at sometime soon, as well.

The books I've recently finished are Fahrenheit 451 - it remains my favorite book, for whatever odd reason. I find Bradbury's writing style (excluding his abysmal recent works) extremely nice to read, and I like the point of the book. I've also read "Kiss Me, Judas" by Will Christopher Baer, which was also great in that the author has a completely different way of approaching perceptions in the book. The physical plot itself isn't really captivating, but I know I'll end up reading it again sometime.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Girl
    I'm just about to start Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

I finished Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen a few days ago and i really enjoyed it, so i thought i'd try some other 'classic' books.
    Jane Eyre was a shite book, I had to read it in Honors a few months ago.

I finished Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert in December (also for my class) which I am also currently writing a character analyses essay for.

Right now I'm reading To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee, another assigned book for my class and as far as I've gotten, it is about as boring Jane Eyre and Madame Bovary.

This is probably because, as I have tried to explain to my self-absorbed prick of a teacher, the books that he assigns are not the kind of books that I like to read. The extensive descriptions of every little detail really gets on my nerves, thus making them extremely boring.

On another note, I've also just finished Jarhead by Anthony Swofford which was fucking ace. I have yet to see the movie, but from what I read in the book, it is much better than the movie.

This is the only thread I'm going to post in for awhile because at the moment I am sitting in my Digital Communication Tools class, as I have been for the past hour, fucking around on the internet because I'm done with my assignments. And I will further post in here because it is the only decent thread left.

~Peace~

Sick of politicians, And politics
    And prisons, Lyin' and runnin' my life.
    You pathetic preachers and hypocritic leaders,
    Smilin' and wastin' my time.

Sick of your religions and full of shit opinions,
    Tired of waiting to die.
    Run me in, I'll do it all again,
    Motherfucker I'm still alive...

--------------------------------------------------