Page 53 of 146 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading?

Thats what im reading. Came with the fat pack I bought.

A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters - Julian Barnes

This is one of the best books I've read this year. I found it a little strange at the first, maybe funny but it got so much better while reading.

I bought Bonfire of Vanities when I was a silly 19 year old first year student and did everything our prof told us to. But back then my English was godawful bad to be able to understand it. I just remembered I attempted to re-read it last summer and forgot about it. Ah me. It was quite good though. Gave a good picture of the society, life and New York. Somehow.

I'm reading the DaVinci Code and I saw the preview of it..and that cop guy..is the exact guy I pictured in my mind...who could be the cop.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Jeez. Might as well take a train almost.

I think a train takes a couple 3 days or something...2 or 3 or so...

sorry just wanted to follow up on that.

Ugh, I was totally unimpressed with DaVinci Code for sure. I almost felt as if it patronized the readers (I don't know if that's quite the right expression I want). Oh really? A code made by writing words backwards? Who'da thought? And there seemed to be excessive trivia for the sake of trivia. I enjoyed a lot of the religious history stuff, but some of the other information was excessive. And the plot wasn't all that great, particularly the ending. I wasn't even expecting all that much, but I've read many, many better bestseller-type books.

My summer reading list to start, but hopefully I'll be able to get through a lot more than this:

Slaughterhouse 5 - partway through

Fight Club! - Because I know I'm gonna love it, so I'm excited to read it

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - It's been on my list for a couple years now and I've heard various references recently (from my aunt, from Per...)

The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz - Mordechai Richler - Vlad recommended this back in like, November, and I bought it recently

Atlas Shrugged - Because the Fountainhead was so so so so so so good, I am so excited to read this book. It's like reading a new Harry Potter book. I figure I'll read a couple things first though, so I can wait to savour it.

State of Fear - Michael Crichton - I stole this from my house before I left, hopefully it's not missed... but it's something I'm a little curious to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Slaughterhouse 5 - partway through
    2nd best vonnegut (after Slapstick).

Fight Club! - Because I know I'm gonna love it, so I'm excited to read it
    i've had this sitting by my bed for about a year now, but i still haven't gotten around to reading it.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - It's been on my list for a couple years now and I've heard various references recently (from my aunt, from Per...)
    this was my favorite book for a number of years. absolutely fantastic and thoroughly frightening.

Atlas Shrugged - Because the Fountainhead was so so so so so so good, I am so excited to read this book. It's like reading a new Harry Potter book. I figure I'll read a couple things first though, so I can wait to savour it.
    i dunno. big chunks of it read like the bible (not a good thing). oddly though, i've read it three times. i think rand's got a point though. not THAT big a point, but when i noticed that there are many people who consider the academic study (to a phd level) of recreation and leisure not only valid but noble i couldn't help but think of atlas shrugged.

Lightbulb

If you're gonna read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, you might want to look into The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - as you probably know, it focuses on the author, Ken Kesey, and his wacky acid-trippy lifestyle.

And man, State of Fear is like Atlas Shrugged in that it's pretty good as a story, but the fact that people take it as a serious intellectual endeavor is pretty silly. They're good in that they start conversations about important subjects, but they don't win 'em.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

The Kool-Aid book is vaguely on my mental to-read list as well, but maybe I'll write it down on my growing physical to-read list.

And I'll judge the two books you mentionned once I read them. Saying it is "silly" to consider them serious intellectual ventures is pretty harsh, so we'll see. I took the philosophy behind the Fountainhead pretty seriously, in the sense that there were numerous interesting ideas. And not only were they interesting, but I also enjoyed them, I didn't consider them silly. So... we'll see. I would like to be able to compare the two.

Oh, and that bible comment kinda scares me, Ryan.
    Last edited by Betty; 06-03-2006 at 09:06 PM.

A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

I want to go to that museum they made out of ken kesey's van. dude cuckoo's nest is incredible. this douchebag english teacher ruined the end for me before I'd read it though. I'm still so.. fucking.. bitter.

I'm starting 'the bell jar' when I get a free second. has anyone read it?
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I like women who enjoy being dissatisfied sexually.