Page 1 of 146 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading?

Arrow What are you Reading?

It's the return of a classic. The "What are you listening to" thread for the literate. Give a title and quick review. For those slack-jawed neanderthals who read Tucan Sam's puzzle/maze entertainment bonanza every day over a breakfast of multi-colored milk, this doesn't apply to you.

I recently finished up Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day and O'Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces and they were both quite amusing. I thought that Dunces dragged a bit during the middle, but the ending was worth it. A very good set of reads.

I'm not reading (be prepared to be awed by my literary abilities) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Yeah, I know. I'd read the first three books a few years ago, but I'd never read the latest two, so I decided to pick them up. However, as I began to read the Phoenix one (or the Goblet one, whichever's the Fourth), I realized that I'd forgotten much of the previous three. Then looking at the page count, I realized that it'd be about equal to reading the first three as reading the fourth, so I began at the beginning. I finished off the first one in under a day and am on my way to completeing the second at a similar pace. I'm also going to start Michael Chabon's latest book, The Final Solution in a bit, if that'll at least stop the English majors from sneering at me.

So, what's on your bedside table?
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

bogota, colombia, southamerica you dumbass

the tunel by ernesto sabato
    latinoamerican literature is one of the best literature
    it talks about a famous paintor who meet a girl at one of his paintings exposition, looses her, get back with her again and then kills her.. im actually in the half of it. still have to finish it.. mabe by this week...

im reading this thread. but seriously, im reading great expectations at the mo, i need it for year 12 english. its ok too.

Meh, I already said in the other thread. And am now anticipating a good ending. Better not let me down now!

Mostly I am replying to say that Harry Potter rocks and I intend to read them all again in the summer, before the next is released.

I'm not reading anything yet which is bad because my teacher requires all honors English students to read at least one book a week and I haven't read one in about 4 weeks, but anyways I just got done reading two books. Jackdaws and A Night Over Water probably two of my favorite Ken Follett novels set in the time of the Nazis and all that good stuff. All of Ken Follett's books are good though.

Ahh, and then as a class we had to read this really trippy play called The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man in the Moon Marigolds by Paul Zindel...it was interestingly disturbing especially since he based the characters on his own family.

Then of course, we also read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (oh how I hated that fucking book) it was okay but I don't like books like that.

Sick of politicians, And politics
    And prisons, Lyin' and runnin' my life.
    You pathetic preachers and hypocritic leaders,
    Smilin' and wastin' my time.

Sick of your religions and full of shit opinions,
    Tired of waiting to die.
    Run me in, I'll do it all again,
    Motherfucker I'm still alive...

--------------------------------------------------

Artificial Life VI: Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Artificial Life (Complex Adaptive Systems) by Christoph Adami (Editor), Richard K. Belew (Editor), Hiroaki Kitano (Editor), Charles E. Taylor (Editor)
    Introduction to Artificial Life by Christoph Adami
    Elizabeth Must Die by Jeremy NeeDLE

the first two are closely related to my currently active research, and the last is literature at it's finest. yummy.

1)Tortilla Curtain by T.C. Boyle [yes, still.]
    2)Das Parfüm by Süßkind [yes, still.]
    3)Bahnwärter Thiel by Gerhart Hauptmann [ooh, a new one!]

i forgot the quick review.

1) it starts with a car accident in which an american (Delaney)
    hits an illegial mexican (Candido). the story takes place in
    California. in the book, the completely different lives of the two
    are shown, and basically compared. each chapter is about one
    of the lives. both men have "matching" women, who play a big
    role as well.
    i hate it. because unfortunately, the story doesnt interest me
    at all. AT ALL.

2) about a kid who has the ability to...smell. but in a really crazy
    way. he smells things which are miles away and the way he
    memorizes the smells is fascinating and like a sixth sense. and
    in his rather younger years, he kills for that obsession of his. argh
    i really dont know how to explain, but i am sure the people who
    do read have read this book as well and know what it is about.
    it takes place a few years before the french revolution (wasnt
    it 50 years? dunno anymore) in paris.

3) havent started yet.
    Last edited by Nina; 12-30-2004 at 03:02 AM.

I don't ever get time to read because there's so much reading for my course. It sucks cause at school when I had the time I didn't care for reading now I don't and I want to read other things. Oh well.
    Vera Says:
    Masturbation > women

Going Postal - Terry Pratchett, but I've almost finished it :\
    chickenweasel loves myspace

i read Robert Heinline - The Moon is a Harsh Mistresss! but my fav of him is "the Door to Summer"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CHECK OUT MY BAND ON MYSPACE!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    http://www.myspace.com/agentrebel
    We've just recorded our DEMO record. Check it out on myspace page!
    Our FIRST RECORD! It's Our FIRST TRY!