Page 146 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146
Results 1,451 to 1,459 of 1459

Thread: What are you Reading?

Finished part 1 of A Dance with Dragons. It was good as always, although not a whole lot happened. And I'm not quite sure I like ho Tyrion's section has panned out. This Penny character seems a bit flat and her character not complex enough. ut I still liked the book on the whole.

I'm now reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods, which is far, is not as I expected so much, but I still like it. And it's fun trying to guess which gods people are.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
    Maybe that's a little more appropriate in this illustrious circle of ours.
    Turn the lights on.

1 members appreciate this post.

Finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman the other day. Was a bit wary at first, but I eventually got into it, and it was pretty cool. The premise was a good one, and I found it very interesting trying to figure out which gods the characters were.

I'm now reading I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan (sticking with the religious themes it would seem!). So far...a bit choppy, but we'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman the other day. Was a bit wary at first, but I eventually got into it, and it was pretty cool. The premise was a good one, and I found it very interesting trying to figure out which gods the characters were.

I'm now reading I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan (sticking with the religious themes it would seem!). So far...a bit choppy, but we'll see how it goes.
    I just finished Good Omens, which I liked a lot and now, I want to get a little more into it. It's not easy to read. Full of small references that you need to understand to fully appreciate the humour... I think I will try American Gods next.

I also read a book called Swamplandia about a family that has a theme park about and with alligators and that is on the verge of going bankrupt after the death of the mother, who was the star of the show, and the opening of another theme park. I thought it really well written, but... something bothered me... I can't really put my finger on it though... I didn't like the characters so much I think... The story is not that relevant, the writing is a little bit oniric, so you need to like that kind of things.

And finally, I read a book called Black Out, which is the first part of a 2 books series about WWII, but with science fiction

The story is about historians from 2060 who travel back during World war 2, in 1940, in or around London. Time travel has been invented but is only used to study history, and has rules to prevent historians from changing the course of History. The french translation was awful so I'm going to read the 2nd one in english but otherwise, it was pretty good !

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    I just finished Good Omens, which I liked a lot and now, I want to get a little more into it. It's not easy to read. Full of small references that you need to understand to fully appreciate the humour... I think I will try American Gods next.
    Pratchett wrote the majority of Good Omens and, in my opinion, most of the humour of the book came from him. If you want more like that you'd be better off reading Discworld, a generally delightful series.

Gaiman is better at straight storytelling than he is at comedy. I enjoyed American Gods but I seem to remember finding his attempts at humour pretty clunky most of the time because of the otherwise mature tone of the book. He is good at the serious bits, and fine when humour is woven intrinsically into the plot, but struggles with actual direct jokes. At least, that's what I remember from possibly a decade (or more) ago.

I like Gaiman but Pratchett is far funnier and just generally more talented as a novelist. Gaiman's talents are...less specialized, perhaps. Which isn't a bad thing at all. It's just a different thing. I suspect Gaiman himself would agree quite strongly with this assessment.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

I found, when reading American Gods, that my knowledge of Norse gods was really helpful, but I also found a really useful site (that also has numerous books on it) that will go through little references page by page, so if I ever felt there was a reference that was going over my head I just looked at that.
    http://www.bookdrum.com/books/americ...bookmarks.html - It also explains really obvious shit too, which is a bit annoying. I never usually would use a reference guide, but I wanted to keep ahead of things.

There's also another site (only the gods are real) which has a brief summary of the gods (and the people behind them), but sometimes a bit too much info (and spoilers!), so I looked at that after I finished.

I've just finished I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan.

It was....good. At the start I wasn't very impressed, as it kept jumping around, and some paragraphs were unnecessarily tough to read. But after a while I got more into it, and there was some pretty funny lines in it (one describing the bubbles from a fart in a bath reminiscent of the awakening of the kraken).

Overall, an enjoyable, although sometimes frustrating, read.

Next, I'm moving on perhaps to Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates, unless my last order of books comes in the post and I'm tempted by the newness of one of them!

Finished Revolutionary Road last night. I liked it a lot. The only problem being I had seen the film a few years back so knew everything that was going to happen. But the inner monologue bits that obviously couldn't be in the film made up for it. Very good, overall.

I'm now onto the 6th book of Stephen King's Dark Tower Series, Song of Susannah. A bit sad that I'm nearing the end of this series.

The Todd Glass Situation by Todd Glass