Page 149 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149
Results 1,481 to 1,485 of 1485

Thread: What are you Reading?

Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    It is one of his better ones, but superior to all his other work? I have to disagree. I recently re-read Mother Night and just plowed through it. I can never put that book down when I read it.

I probably wouldn't disagree that Slaughterhouse-5 could be his best work, but you made it sound like there's a huge drop in quality between that and his other books. I can't get on board with that. Cat's Cradle and Mother Night are just as enjoyable for me. And I do love me some Timequake, though I wouldn't try to put it up against Slaughterhouse-5.
    Superior in my opinion. I absolutely loved Slaughterhouse-5, and I just didn't feel quite so in love with the other works that I've read. I really liked Mother Night and Breakfast of Champions, but I just didn't feel as into them.
    A lot of people would disagree with me on that, I know, as usually Cat's Cradle is said to be better than Slaughterhouse-5. I didn't mean to make it sound like the rest of his work was nowhere near as good.

Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon

Lightbulb Also, good to see this thread has still outpaced "What video game are you playing"

I haven't posted in this place in over five years, and the first thing I see when I pop my head back in is that I have the top post.

Fuck yeah.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

Enduring quests, daring visions: NASA astrophysics in the next three decades.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    Meet HAU, the philosopher.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Dr. Hause transcends labels. He is both human and humanity.

Currently reading The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. A pretty fun read, although that Victorian tendency to describe shit can get a bit dense at times. Thankfully that's kept to a minimum though.